Lemon Trees with no ripe lemons ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
ValL
Resident

Lemon Trees with no ripe lemons ?

Postby ValL » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:02 pm

Our lemon trees have got plenty lemons on them but there have been no ripe ones in months ! The tree itself looks healthy enough, a few curly leaves as described on another thread but nothing else we can see.

In the past it has given ripe frut almost continually, any suggestions ?

julian
Andalucia Guru

lemons

Postby julian » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:09 pm

patience...easier said than done when you have the gin and tonic ready and you are sitting watching the tree waiting for the lemons !!!

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:41 am

Same here, but our lemon tree has been there for about 5 years, and we only got our first 2 lemons this summer, and since then, nothing but loads of green ones.............

The orange tree has never produced anything.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:34 am

Lemons, to remain ripe all year take a lot of water. Luckily we have 5 trees next to the house but one is next to a water outlet and as such gets watered fairly regular either from the heavens opening or from a tap overflow. We have constant yellow lemons on this one tree but same as yours for the remainder. Patience is a virtue!!!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:37 pm

Similar problem this year no ripe fruit. You might try what I did and ask the advice of neighbour's, one of mine gave me advice on how to look after all my tree's gave me some jollop to kill the insects eating my peach tree and threw in a bag of lemons and one of pomegranites. I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to do something for them.

Mhic.

Don

Postby Don » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:22 pm

Finally as the nights turn cooler the lemons decide to come yellow. But who can explain why the lemons are turning late in the season whilst the oranges are already turning a couple of months early ?

spaniola
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby spaniola » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 am

I heard on the Spanish radio that the orange and lemons crops are struggling this year as the cold spell they need to ripen hasn't happened yet.

You can't actually make it colder to ripen them - can you?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:03 am

keddyboy wrote:Lemons, to remain ripe all year take a lot of water. Luckily we have 5 trees next to the house but one is next to a water outlet and as such gets watered fairly regular either from the heavens opening or from a tap overflow. We have constant yellow lemons on this one tree but same as yours for the remainder. Patience is a virtue!!!!!
I think they just have a mind of their own. Our lemons ripen up fine and the main crop is now ripe. They do get plenty of water.

Our orange, on the other hand, started ripening prematurely in late August as the water supply was blocked. After increasing the supply they stopped ripening and carried on getting bigger and are now just ready to pick.

Oh yes, and our Mandarina has just started flowering :? :?

Sid

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:49 pm

Our rubbish orange tree finally died this year after being carefully nurtured (sort of carefully :roll:). We planted the sapling in the spot identified by the neighbour - "buen terreno" and got some flowers. Tree too small to support fruit but the blossom was nice. Never had a single orange.

Bought a lemon tree later and decided to put it in a pot. Lemons came the first year, small but great, and we have had a couple of years crops. OK so single figures but better than the orange. This year, every time it flowers, the budding lemons have died off, but we've also had some strong winds in early autumn.

I just ignore the curly leaves.