Spanish Will's

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Kmoppz
Resident

Spanish Will's

Postby Kmoppz » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:41 pm

I need to arrange a Will for my wife and I, any clues on what I should be paying for a bog standard will that just sorts out leaving or Spainish property to the surviving partner.

So what should I expect to pay?
Last edited by Kmoppz on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:57 pm

We were quoted about 250-300 euros each to make our wills at the solicitor. This included an English translation. As we knew that we would have to go to the Notaria to get them witnessed and lodged, and the fee for that was 40 euros each, we decided to go straight to the Notaria. Our Spanish is reasonable, but not fluent, but with that and a small amount of English by one of the clerks, it was no problem.

It took 10 minutes to tell them what we wanted i.e. to each other first, then equal parts to some younger relatives in the event that we had both hit the dirt. They made it out, we returned a few days later and the Notaria sat down with us to go through it and make sure it was correct. Signed by all, paid our 40 euros each and all in order. One copy with us, one at the Notaria, and one goes to Madrid.

Very straight forward and kept the money out of the hands of the legal profession! As your will sounds very simple, and I think if you have no children here, and you are foreign, is what would happen anyway. It is perhaps worth mentioning that our house is in joint names, which means that when one of us inherits, the change to the Escritura will be simple and cheap.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:31 pm

Despite being totally fluent in English our notary will not grant a will, or any other legal document, without the intervention of a qualified accountable translator as a result of a colleague being reported to the notaries professional body for an alleged mis-translation in a will granted by a non Spanish speaking foreigner.

You may have to shop around to find one who will not insist on a translator.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

wills

Postby Julie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:39 pm

We did our wills, never took a translator, wasn't asked for one, but i did speak to the notary in Spanish, he asked what we wanted asked for parents names, passports explained the law for Spaniards and asked if we were sure we didn't want to leave to the children, told us they could contest it if they wanted too, and charged us 31 euro each, I did ask if i had heard right and the receptionist said we paid by what time it had taken.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:00 am

Obviously if you are able to demonstrate a sufficient fluency in the language then a translator would not be necessary.

GRANVILLE
Andalucia.com Amigo
Location: Rio Burmuza, Canillias de Aceituna near Velez Malaga

Postby GRANVILLE » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:55 am

We had ours done this year 320e for everything

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

wills

Postby pilgrim » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 am

38 euros each in Seville at an English Speaking notary!!! beat that :D whoops I see you already have at 31 euros :oops:

Kmoppz
Resident

Postby Kmoppz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Wow, thanks guys...

We have been quoted.... wait for it!

€600.00 EACH!

Think I need to cancell the appointment...

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:26 pm

Ours was free in 2004 from the lawyer we used to buy the house. The house was in joint names and an "either or" clause was inserted in the event of one of us popping off and in the event of the plane coming down :shock: , all was to be passed equally to our two sons.
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

Kmoppz
Resident

Postby Kmoppz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:32 pm

Ok, Any one want to suggest a lawyer to do our Will's?

Ideally in Fuengirola, and an english speaker. (our Spanish is not up to the legal level required)