How much to realign a satelite??

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
petert74
Andalucia.com Amigo

How much to realign a satelite??

Postby petert74 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:05 pm

Apologies for asking yet another Sky question but I was wondering what people paid to realign their Sky satelite.

Ive recently moved to a new house and put up the disch myself, we get a signal but in the evenings it does weak (no channel 4!!!!!).

I guess its time for the professionals but as the dish is aready up i was wondering how much it cost for someone just to adjust it slightly!!!

Any ideas anyone as Im trying to avoid the Cowboys!!!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:25 pm

We bought and fitted our own dish and couldn't find anyone to come out to align the dish for less than 50€. It seems to be the going rate down this end of the CDS.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:30 pm

No point in paying anyone to align it IMHO. Just tweak it and twiddle it yourself - the so called professionals are unlikely to achieve any better result. If your signal is weak, it's more likely your new location than anything else. (just my non-prof. opinion)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:00 pm

45 Euros last time it happened....then I saw Lidl offering a DIY signal strength meter for 6.99 Euros and so bought one....since then it's not gone off it's correct alignment .... curses!
nil illegitimum carborundum

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:13 pm

45 - 60€ ish normally. but i'm not coming to do it cos ur too far away it'd cost me 30€ in petrol lol

try changing the elevation? even if you marked it before you took it down the angles etc change because of your positioning, if if its only a few miles down the road.

it could be the position that you have put the lnb in as well, try twisting it slightly.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:49 pm

trooperman - dont worry yourself about getting excited to use your 6.99 meter....when ours needed realigning we bought one of those and found it too be more hassle than its worth.

we found for small alterations (eg 13ºE to 16ºE) it only took 20mins of hubby on roof and me in lounge shouting to each other til we got it right.

We were quite worried about adjusting it ourselves as thought we may lose everything, but were surprised just how easy it was. If i were you, i´d give it a go.

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:35 pm

karandjon wrote:shouting to each other til we got it right.
hahaha isn't that a normal day then ?

yeah moving a dish / relocating the signal isn't too bad, its normally only minor adjustments...

try starting from scratch lol ...

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:34 pm

hi spanish lad, yes, my hubby was up on the roof with his silly meter, and there WAS shouting, :lol:

once he´d thrown the meter from the roof into the pool :roll: , (using a few choice words at the time), within minutes without the machine, he had it aligned and in time to see first goal!!! :D
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:44 pm

[quote="spanish_lad"]

try starting from scratch lol ...[/quote]

I think that is what he is doing. He said he fitted the "disch" himself. :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

vindaloo1973
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby vindaloo1973 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:55 pm

I charge €50 to get a satellite back into place.
Positive things happen to positive people.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:44 am

frank wrote:I think that is what he is doing. He said he fitted the "disch" himself. :D
peter74 wrote:and put up the disch myself, we get a signal but in the evenings it does weak (no channel 4!!!!!).

no, he isn't. he had a dish that he has taken down and put up again, he already has a signal it just needs adjustment.

starting from scratch means that the bracket comes in parts and it has to be assembled and set up. he's already done that bit. hiw was never apart as much as a new one he is just refitting it.

petert74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby petert74 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:47 am

Many thanks, the reason Im asking about realignment is that ever since we have been in Spain we have never had Channel 4.

I know that this frequency is particularly difficult to get, and Im fed up with things breaking up at night (ie) BBC and ITV

They work perfectly during the day, so unless its a question of a tiny tweak of the LNB then Im stumpped!!

Like everything else in spain, I always try to do everything myself and Ive found their are very few people you can trust or rely on over here, (inparticularly im sorry to say British tradesmen) apologies to the honest tradesman out there).

Will I be wasting time and embarrasing myself in front of the neighbour even more if i spend another night perched on out kitchen table on top of the ladder twicking the LNB!!!

Am I the only person not to recieve Channel 4?????

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:52 pm

i take it that you have paid for your card ? as you do realise that channels four and five are NOT freeview channels? so you wont get them if you dont have a card in your box.

if you do have a card, i would suggest that when you refitted the lnb it was slightly at the wrong angle and perhaps a small twist either way would cure your problem. (small ie 1 or 2 mm)

do all the channels break up at night or just the one ? breaking up at night suggests some sort of re-alignment is needed, it might be something as silly as the fixings need re-doing because the dish has been battered by the wind etc and its come loose, dropping the dish 1 or 2 degrees out, still enough to get a weak signal but not enough to get a strong one.

shame you're not closer i could come and check it out for you.

petert74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby petert74 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:29 am

Thanks for the advise Spanish Lad!!

I have a sky card and can watch Five Life and Five US perfectly!!!!

I will try to rotate the LNB asap as there is a limit on how much SKY news an individual can watch!!!!

J Cooke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Sky dish size

Postby J Cooke » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:24 pm

What size dish have you got

petert74
Andalucia.com Amigo

dish

Postby petert74 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:27 pm

1.3m