Deliveries from IKEA

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
blondie
Resident

Deliveries from IKEA

Postby blondie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:43 am

Hi all , and Happy new year

I have a question.

We recently bought a pile of stuff from Ikea but are having it delivered as we only have a motorbike.

However, the charges are ridiculous.

From Malaga to Marbella is 90 euros, but to go an extra 8 kms to San Pedro is 145 euros!!

We are no cancelling it and need another way to get it here, either reasonably priced man with van or van hire, any suggestions?

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:55 pm

Hire a people carrier? We looked into getting a bed and other stuff delivered the other day but with a bit of due diligence managed to force it into a Kia Picanta (small car) with the wife in the back seat - surprising what you can fit into a car if you don't care about it.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Get in touch with Liz Fox on here can' t put her other name on here it might get deleted as advertising, but very good, very reliable and they will even put it together for you!!!!!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:59 pm

It does sound as if you are being a bit mean blondie: distance of around 60kms, each way (given that the van must return to base) @ say cost of 30 cents per km = 36€; at best 20mins to load, 1.25 hours to drive, 20 mins to unload, 1.25 hrs to return = 3.16 hours, 2 men @ 10€ per hour each (same rate as a cleaner?) = 63€, so cost price is minimum of 99€.....
What have you saved on the "pile of stuff" you bought?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:06 pm

A bit mean!

Thanks, i´m insulted. 8)

Well I have looked at "man with a van" and they charge 20 euros per hour.

I reckon I could get there, load and back to my apartment in 3 hours, 4 if we went really slow, costing 80 euros, big saving on what I am paying them.

Plus you are forgetting that my pile of stuff will be in a big lorry with lots more piles of stuff from different people. If they get even a low figure of say..5 piles of stuff in at 145 each, thats 725 euros...and those big lorries get a lot more than that in there.

On the stuff we bought, we have saved an absolute fortune on what we would pay anywhere else, but why pay more to get it here than we have to?

Pilgrim, how would I find this lady´s name?

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:08 pm

blondie, when you buy and pay for transport at the til, give your postcode and avise the cashier what zone you are in.
i have ordered and had delivered, many times from Ikea seville and live just outside of the zone and they have had no problem charging me the cheaper zone.

Having said that, i would have paid the extra, as like peteroldzimmer says, due to the great value of the the items, that more than makes up for the delivery charges, IMHO.

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:16 pm

karandjon wrote: peteroldzimmer
"zimmer"???!!! :shock:
I may not be able to race any more, but can walk unaided, especially to a bar! :D :D :D
(grumble, grumble...using some german word about me....grumble grumble...) :)

And blondie - of course your goods will be carried in a fully legal vehicle that would not be impounded by the fuzz, all your stuff insured fully whilst in transit, and if the manandvan dropped anything they would have a complaints book should there be any dispute as to fault, so you could report them to the police......................................? 8)
Last edited by peteroldracer on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:18 pm

Well they originally charged me 90 euros, but then realised that I was just outside that zone. They thought about it but then charged me full whack.

I wasn´t really going to do anything about it until I spoke with my family the other day, and they were saying why not hire a van, they hired one for a day and it cost about 35 quid, and then that got me thinking about it.

Even if I pay 80 euros, its still a saving of 65, money we need for other things basically, not to mention that court case with our ex landlord :evil:

Liz Fox
Andalucia.com Amigo

Van for 35 quid!!!

Postby Liz Fox » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:07 pm

I wish we could hire a van for 35 quid. It costs us over 100 euros here in Seville - mind that is a high-top van that takes a load of furniture.

Deborah
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Deborah » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:46 pm

They have to have a zone limit somewhere.

Our coaches would charge more for San Pedro than for Marbella for example, so would a taxi.

We had to take a client once to some hotel that was well beyond Barrio Cancelada (or some name like that). It was advertised as in Marbella, even on their website. It was in fact in the Municiple of Estepona!

With regards to Man with Van, illegal and uninsured, mostley. Not going into that, been there, done that, new years resolution to stay calm :)

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:06 pm

When you say uninsured, do you mean driver wise or to carry goods?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:44 pm

Possibly both, blondie: if it is a RHD Brit-plated van, it is unlikely to have a valid UK tax disc and MoT, so will not be insured under any British policy, and should not have been used on the road once it had been here 183 days................
Apart from anything else, using these cowboys undermines the efforts of genuine working folk who do the thing properly, paying taxes and so on, so that they can expand and prosper. These cowboys are just after beer money!

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:59 pm

Thanks for that.

However if it´s a Spanish plated van, chances are it´s ok I would have thought, unless they have no insurance on that either.

I shall find out from whoever I use.

Deborah
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Deborah » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:25 pm

Just ask him for his company CIF, that at least will give you some identification of them being legit. Although doesnt mean that his company will cover the cost of any damage to your goods as they may or may not have a valid insurance policy.

I would go with IKEA if I were you.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:32 pm

Well it ended up costing me 50 euros instead of 145 not a bad saving,thanks man with a van!