Stale News

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Stale News

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:44 pm

I'm getting really tired of reading the re-hashed doom and gloom stories , reported almost daily by the press and tv news companies..
It really is the same old stories, over and over again, most of the time not even changed in anyway to look new..
I know that there are a lot of issues about illegal properties etc., but I've been listening to stories like the Valencian land grab for at least 20 years, and yes they have demolished a few houses before..
However I wouldn't be panicked into giving up, just yet, the Spanish politicians are famous for scaremongering and sabre rattling....
I would say that if you are happy with your property and lifestyle, stick it out, but if anyone is genuinely unhappy with their 'lot', then you don't need to blame the current house problems, just get on with it..and move...

Again just the way I see it...
Keep Smiling.......... Gordon..... :wink:

julian
Andalucia Guru

stale news

Postby julian » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:06 pm

surely those happy with their lifestyles and properties don´t need to "stick it out" more like "carry on enjoying" !

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:37 pm

BENIDORM. Nobody can just get up and move, property is very slow to sell at the moment in all areas, and I for one would not leave my houses empty, I am sure people can decide for themselves what to do, and many cannot move due to exposure on tv etc, making many buyers not come here at all, or demanding every bit of paperwork they think they need, which most country houses do not have, I dont mean escituras, things like, license to build and first occupation. If it was so easy as you think, many more would already gone, along with with the ones lucky enough to have left already.
Spain has had its day, and I for one, say serves you right. and theday I do get to leave, I shall stick two fingers up to spain, and will never return to such an awful corrupt country. How can you say what you have when you dont even live here.. Part time is a lot different to full time.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:00 pm

Scarlet,
First of all I must put you right, I do live in Spain and although I've had property in UK as well, most of the time ,I have run quite a large business in Spain and lived there for nearly 20 years.I've lived in 4 different places in Spain and have lived in 7 different houses, during my stay..At the moment I'm dividing my time between Uk and Spain, for family reasons, I'm not exactly part time.
I wasn't saying that it was easy to sell up at the moment, but many people have already gone, leaving their houses empty, I do agree not a good idea, but sometimes chances have to be taken.
In your opinion and your words, Spain has had its day, and I disagree with you, maybe Spain has had its day with you, but I still think a good life can be achieved in Spain.
Everyone is looking for something different, and circumstances differ for each individual..I've made it quite clear in other threads that the original magic has gone for me, but that doesn't mean that it can't be great for other people., it just means that for me personally I'm not as keen as I used to be.I'll be back in Spain again shortly and will continue to commute for probably another year before I return properly.
Returning to UK is a good option for many people because they will get assistance, but I don't know of any other countries at the moment , that can offer anything really exciting..
I hope that you fullfill your dreams and find Paradise.....Please let me know when you do.
Regards....Gordon..

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:36 pm

We shall not be returning to the uk, and we are not looking for paradise, just a country that makes some sense. It all depends what sort of person you are and wether you think it is great here, some bury their heads in the sand and dont read papers or watch the news, smile at the spanish when they are being ripped off, as long as the sun is shining, and many think they have made it in life, I thought it was great 10 years ago, but things are changing big time, and this is not just my opinion but many many others as well, the english are not liked here and never will be.
And I also have run sucessful businesses here, but would not have another one. why did you put your opinion on a forum, when you are sarcastic to a reply which differs from yours. If I lived on a pension and rented a property, I wouldnt really care either. there are much better places than spain. I am entitled to may opinion also. OK

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:43 pm

Scarlet,
In no way was I trying to be sarcastic, quite the opposite, I was just correcting the details of what you said about me.
A forum is exactly the place to state your opinions, whether or not you agree with others ideas. I'm not trying to force you to agree, I just disagree with you about this matter...
And I did mean it , if you find a great place please let me know...

Regards,...Gordon..

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:56 pm

I think I got you muddled up with beachcomber, they do both start with B after all. If I do find paradise I shall tell no one. and live in total happiness, my husband wants to live on a remote island , but I would miss revving up at traffic lights and racing the boy racers.
I would also start a forum called paradise.com, tell everyone what its like, but not tell anyone where it is.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:27 pm

Scarlet...
Bon Chance with your quest... :lol:

Regards...Gordon..

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:54 pm

benidorm, yet again your saying those of us happy here should stick it out!!!why stick it out.some of us actualy love it here. again your forcing your thoughts onto how you think we should think.spain is great, great weather, great people, cheap food and drink, great places to visit, loll about. many of us are happy here you know.

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:29 pm

I can say that Spain compared to West Yorkshire, for a family on a normal income, is bloody paradise!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:31 pm

Most places are a "bloody paradise" compared with (most) of West :wink: :lol: Yorkshire

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:20 pm

I love reading threads like this! I find it quite amusing that on the one hand you get those who are totally disillusioned with the UK and can't wait to move to Spain permanently and leave the sinking ship. Then on the other, there's those completely fed up with the corruption etc in Spain and just want to go "home". Love it!
They can't all be right, can they? But of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and thank God, whether in Spain or the UK, are still also entitled to voice it publicly. 8)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:24 pm

You forgot the 3rd group Miro.....Those of us who love it here in Spain and wouldn´t dream of going back to England! :lol: :lol: :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:33 pm

Strange as it may seem, there are possibly even some who live in England and wouldn't dream of moving to Spain! :wink:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:38 pm

Not strange at all Miro. That makes it 4 groups! :wink: :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:54 pm

How about a 5th group??? We're still in the UK but not sure at the moment for how much longer. But we don't hate it here (apart from the weather!). We've been happy here but want to try something different.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:13 pm

There is also the sixth group of people who are fed up with the corruption and double dealing in Spain but who wouldn't move back to the UK under any circumstances and are looking for some kind of acceptable alternative which, I have to admit, probably doesn't exist.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:19 pm

I think I'm in that 6th group. Let me know if you figure out where we can go next. :?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:25 pm

Yes, me too. I don't hold out much hope, though. :(

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:29 pm

Have you considered that the UK is actually quite a big place and very diverse? Wild horses couldn't drag me back to the town we moved from, I lived there for 13 years and spent 12½ plotting a way to get out. We're going to a completely different part of the UK, a different country in fact, so before you dismiss it out of hand why not explore it a little, just like you probably did when you decided to move to Spain. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you find :D