badly dressed.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
scarlet
Resident

badly dressed.

Postby scarlet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:36 pm

why are the brits so badly dressed, you can spot a brit a mile off, badly fitting clothes, not matching, old and baggy, and then there are the crocs everyone is wearing, awful, lime green t shirts and shorts do not compliment milk bottle white skin. If the uk has so many credit card problems, what do they buy, certainly not clothes. I feel embarassed to be british, you should hear what the spanish say, last summer the madrids looked immaculate, then along comes the brits, like a walking jumble sale. fat bellies do not look nice in a tight tshirt,
Then there is the campo dress code, if you are horsey, the its grubby trousers, grubby polo shirts and muddy boots. or if not horsey, its normally some old clothes that have faded or nylon sports trousers with a white stripe down the side and some old top, this dress sense includes new years eve in a bar. I was always bought up to dress up of an evening when on holiday, and had new clothes in my suitcase, what changed.
Something the spanish have that is good and that is style and dress sense, including the men.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:43 pm

I take offence Scarlet - what is wrong with crocs???????????? I only wear mine about the house and in the garden though :D and they are a tasteful dark blue. I did go into town one day with them on, I forgot to change them :oops:
I wish I could look as smart as the Spanish ladies do, I think it is in their blood! There is no way I could walk about in their high heeled shoes though, I bought a pair to wear at the Feria last year, boy were they uncomfortable :shock: They have not come out of the cupboard since :( I would love to be able to buy smart trousers here, but as I have short legs there is no chance I can get a pair that even nearly fits in leg length :( By the time I´ve taken them up a good 6" that is the shape all ruined.

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:51 pm

OLIVEVIEW. We have about 8 pairs of trousers needing to be taken up, why are they so long, most spanish only have little legs, In turkey they sell trousers without hems and offer to hem them free of charge when you buy them. but most spanish have a grandma with a sewing machine, so its not a problem.
Glad to hear you dont wear your crocs in public, except by accident, they do them with diamantes on them now, how awful.
Dosent matter what you wear when going to the local vilage, slippers seem to be the norm on most days, except ferias when the best togs are dusted down and demothballed.

BAN THE CROCS...

lyndajo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lyndajo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:57 pm

ummmm......what are "crocs", if you'll pardon my fashion ignorance :?

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:59 pm

Far worse are the women wearing bras instead of bikini tops and nothing on top of them....SOOOOO dis-respectful......I saw a 70 year old woman doing that on promenade in Roquetas not long ago........british of course.....

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:00 pm

scarlet
i have to agree totally with what you are saying.

I am irish and i get embarassed when i see the state of some irish people on holidays. Their dress sense is appalling. Women bet into tight shorts and tshirts with muffin tops !! Men in their shorts and (sometimes!!) tshirts with their beer guts hanging out. It is quite disgusting. So it is not only the english who are like that.

oh and yes....ban the crocs....sorry to anyone who has a pair but omg they are awful.

I think continental women and men have a certain style about them and they always look very stylish.

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:04 pm

CROCS. they are the big ugly plastic shapless, shoes in all colours, worn by most tourists, make everyone look like minnie mouse, have seen them for sale in Spain this year.some now have diamonds on them, but lime green and shocking pink with the milk white legs is a definate no no.
You will see them soon Jool, plodding along the promenade.

lyndajo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lyndajo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:07 pm

that's ok then..........don't have any..........can't then let the side down :D

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:08 pm

As for the bra tops, nomally slightly grey, with the metal wire hanging out, holding a blotchy burnt pair of boobs ugh. may I remind men that their swimshorts with the goolie net in them does go baggy, so remember when sunbathing and opening your legs that we dont all want to see your meat and two veg.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:28 pm

My pal has a pair of different crocs, sandels, really smart- honest! They are nothing like the normal Minnie Mouse crocs. Please........ is it ok to wear my crocs in the garden?????????

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Have a look on the paseo in Fuengirola (or maybe not) :shock: Fat fourty somethings with their tummy hanging out and a crop top. I hate Crocs too, Grandson wears them all the time when they are here. Very popular with the Germans and Dutch too.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:49 pm

It´s not only the Brits who look bad on the beach I must say though, a group of Spanish ladies I know all wear their itsy witsy teeny weeny bikinis on the beach, they are all bar one, well past bikini figures. You have to admire them though for not caring........... me? only on a dark night with no-one looking will I be seen in a bikini :lol:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:31 pm

Hubbys really hates the sight of young girls who wear shorts/skirts with leggings underneath- I guess it is fashion, but is it nice fashion?

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:43 pm

I have some bright pink crocs.....but only for the garden too, they are soooooooo comfy!!! :wink:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:05 pm

I hate seeing men walking around town, and worse still in shops, shirtless - it looks so slobby. They are usually middle-aged with grey hairy chests and a huge paunch. There are so many men on the beach here in the tiniest of speedo trunks which have just about diappeared under a mountain of belly (if you happen to be eating at a beachside restaurant it isn't a very appetising sight :shock: ) I've yet to see a young hunky man with a sixpack dressed like that - but then maybe Torrox Costa just doesn't attract that type ........ shame!

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:04 pm

LOL. I was waiting for you to go first Dido......... I too wear Crocs. The ones that look like flat court shoes, black for work.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:06 pm

OLIVEVIEW. You can only wear crocs at night, you never know if friends might turn up. I havent seen the smart crocs, have just come back from carrefour in malaga, lots of them there, I averted my eyes.
I would love to sit on the beach and not comment of the sights you see, the spanish really dont care, must be good to be like that, I think its inbred in us when we are young.
What I hate to see is the expats with no shirts on sitting outside bars in spanish villages inland, it dosent seem right to me.

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:48 pm

I enjoy sitting on the paseo picking fault with everyone I see. Their dress, their behavior and the shapes of their bodies.
Of course I am perfect in every aspect, so much so that I don't need to have a mirror in my home and when I am somewhere with a mirror I purposefully refuse to look at myself as I pass.
This is of course because I am not conceited in any way and not at all because I am afraid of what I might see. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:06 pm

I think a big part of it seems that British people seem to continue to dress "holiday styleee" even when living there permanently. Also, perhaps it takes us a while to aclimatise and so feel the need to disrobe.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:37 pm

My pal had friends stay at her house in a small village and the friends walked up to the local shop wearing her bikini and a very see-through dress over the top............ :shock: My pal was horrified :shock: