SO,YOU CAN SPEAK SPANISH THEN

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
frog
Resident

SO,YOU CAN SPEAK SPANISH THEN

Postby frog » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:41 am

will you english speaking people please stop using the few spanish words you know in an english sentence when speaking to an englishman
eg...

'good morning mike ,what are you up to'
'oh im just off to the basura'

NO YOUR NOT YOUR OFF TO THE BINS

'hi john,long time no see,hows things?
'ok i guess,just lost my job though and the wifes embarassado'
'about what?'
'no shes pregnant!!!'

SO USE THE WORD PREGNANT

or as my wife gets when she does a bit of waitressing

'hi how are you,what can i get you?'
' 2 caffe con leche granday'
'ok,would you like mugs?'
'mugs no just cups like they have over there'
'so just 2 white coffees then?
'yes..si'

ORDER IN ENGLISH,WHAT DO YOU WANT,A BLACK COFFEE OR A

WHITE COFFEE

....10 mins later.....
'can i have la kwenta'
'sure,dos cientos cinquenta please'
'oh...um..can you change a fifty'

JUST ASK FOR THE BILL!!!!

other words you probably use are coche,casa,gratsyass,ayuntamiento,cervetha and/or canya,
mil(if youve been here a while) and ooh la paloma blanca

STOP IT NOW
for those that are interested i have no interest in my spelling or punctuation,especially of words espanyol
jayne countys most famous song,google it

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:23 am

frog wrote
for those that are interested i have no interest in my spelling or punctuation,
That's OK. Most of us have no interest in what you write (say).
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:32 am

you know john,you correct but when i use canada.com forum im very popular you know,despite not living there,plenty of frog lovers there even though i know nothing about the place and just but in with pointless abuse

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:22 am

Jawg wrote>
That's OK. Most of us have no interest in what you write (say).
there is no need to be so nasty to frog Jawg...you speak for yourself when you say most of us.
I find most of frogs comments very valid.He is entitled to his opinion same as everyone else.If you dont like him,dont read his posts and dont comment on them! :roll:

Now..back to Frogs very valid post!

Frog,i know a few people that speak very limited spanish(brits of course)
when you ask them a question in english,they answer SI...i find it completely irritating,to the point where i stop asking them anything..they know im english,so why answer with si~makes them look rather stupid!

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:18 am

Do you think that using Spanish words within an English sentence might just be force of habit? I know I do it, but I do speak and have to speak Spanish most of the time here, so you do get into the mind set.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:46 am

Nice one, Frog

mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasmagic » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:47 am

It´s really funny sometimes in our business. Brits on holiday come in and speak their (understandably) few Spanish words then sigh with relief when we answer in English. We used to answer in Spanish, out of politeness, but in the vast majority of cases that´s a fast track to a very short conversation and no use to either of us!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: SO,YOU CAN SPEAK SPANISH THEN

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:44 am

frog wrote:will you english speaking people please stop using the few spanish words you know in an english sentence when speaking to an englishman
This is a very rare creature - not the well-known wide-mouthed frog, but the two-faced one: see her posting "10 reasons..."
Quote: "10 reasons why i hate the campo"
What is wrong with the English word "countryside", and why does she insist on resembling the first syllable of that? :shock:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:49 am

Has anyone noticed that Spanish (younger generation) are slipping English words into their sentences.

Was walking along with my Daughter and we saw a friend of hers, my Daughter asked her was she coming out later with the usual gang and the reply was,
"no puedo, me voy shopping con mi madre para compra unos earings"

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:44 pm

I use the odd English word in my Spanish. Most of the youngsters in my pueblo now use OK instead of Valle or Venga. They've picked up my unconcious, appaling habit. Jusr how much damage can one English person do???

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:58 pm

What is frustrating is when you speak to a Spanish person (mostly in a restaurant/bar) in your very best Spanish and they reply in English :(
I never know if I should reply back in English or go on in Spanish :?

mikeinspain
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikeinspain » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:34 pm

When speaking Spanish and the waitress replies back to me in english i pretend i dont understand their English and carry on in Spanish ( i have a degree in spanish so am very confident in my technical grammar ) however if you dont have the spanish accent i often find too they reply back in English however from experience they get aggravated as they think their english cant be understood and then carry on in Spanish....ha ha...after all they want to learn English as we want to be proficient in Spanish....If your confident in spanish then just act as though you really dont understand their Spanish but at least your own Spanish will improve and you will speak it more. That is a tip I learned from University in Barcelona....

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:00 pm

I throw in as many Spanish words as I can in everyday conversation, firstly because my 3 young children are all learning to speak Spanish and secondly so am I and I find it helps to become more familiar to me.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:12 pm

It is when I go back to the UK and forget and say Gracias instead of thank-you - feel a plonker then :oops:

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:18 pm

when we went to the uk, I also said gracias and asked for agua con gas in an indian restaurant. also coca cola light is called something else.with all the new laws and rules that we dont know, we come across as complete idiots when we say, whats that then. Its like being from another planet.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Sometimes the Spanish prefer to speak to the British in English as they understand it better than the bad Spanish they come across. Look at it from the other side. Have you ever had a Spaniard speaking to you in English and their accent is so bad you can understand them better in Spanish.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:31 pm

Spanish people who mispronounce English or mix the words up are just amateurs, George Bush is the all time gold medallist. Not only wrongly used words, but brand new ones as well, all gibberish of course.
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:08 pm

bubba wrote:when we went to the uk, I also said gracias and asked for agua con gas in an indian restaurant. also coca cola light is called something else.with all the new laws and rules that we dont know, we come across as complete idiots when we say, whats that then. Its like being from another planet.
I went to Ireland 3 or 4 times last year...and each time found myself asking for café con leche..in cafes ...and in peoples houses!!!The words "white coffee" do not come naturally these days!! :oops:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:32 pm

katy wrote: Have you ever had a Spaniard speaking to you in English and their accent is so bad you can understand them better in Spanish.
Lots of time, but I carry on because they just love to practice their English and I am as polite to them as they are to me when I make a mistake. And well done to people who try to speak Spanish even if they are not fluent, they have to start somewhere:lol:

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:52 pm

peterold racer wrote

This is a very rare creature - not the well-known wide-mouthed frog, but the two-faced one: see her posting "10 reasons..."
Quote: "10 reasons why i hate the campo"
What is wrong with the English word "countryside", and why does she insist on resembling the first syllable of that?

i think you might find that country as in countryside is used as the opener for that thread so you are just being bonkers,should have worn a crash helmet all those years ago i guess

oh by the way im not a she :roll: