Is there a fire warning site on the web?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:16 pm

Having seen the first helicopter with a big bag under it of te season flying back and forth, is there a way of looking up where the fire is, to get some early warning?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

julian
Andalucia Guru

fires

Postby julian » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:52 am

I think they are still using one of the oldest forms of communication to give warning of forestfires..............smoke signals....

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:06 am

The fire was close to Torrox - does anyone know how bad it was?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:17 am

pkates
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pkates » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:37 am

I saw helicopters and the yellow plane going from Malaga to Fuengirola direction Thursday morning. The helicopters were fully loaded as a mist trail of water was being emitted from the water bags. Didn't hear any reports on this.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:23 am

Peter, there is a load of info about INFOCA, the organisation that is responsible for dealing with forest fires here:- http://tinyurl.com/5hd5dn

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:15 pm

Thanks Sid & Beachy I have also just noticed that there is a live Firewatcher section on the Lake Vinuela-based malagaweather.com! This currently shows one fire on the African coast, nothing on the peninsula.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Is there a fire warning site on the web?

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:46 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Having seen the first helicopter with a big bag under it of te season flying back and forth, is there a way of looking up where the fire is, to get some early warning?
Did you see where they were picking up the water from Peter? I was watching the helicopters too but they disappeared in your direction and I wondered if they were pinching the precious Viñuela water. Although we are some distance away from the where fire was we are still sweeping up the ash!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:19 pm

lots of helicopter plus water 'buckets' activity in the Parque Natural above Alcaucin yesterday but could not see any smoke ...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:22 pm

They seemed to be coming over us headed in the Torrox/Nerja direction with the bag already full, so not the puddle of Vinuela! If they were going to the lake up by Antequera, this did not have enough water this year for the flamingoes to breed, and it sure gave the fire plenty of time to take hold/burn out!
I was getting ready to camouflage the pool, so the boggers didn't drop their bag in that! :roll:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Peter: re using the water from your pool ... that happened to my Spanish neighbour/friend when she was away ... but surely it is better to do that than have the fire destroy your home?! and having been a bit too close for comfort to a fire in adjacent avocado grove with wind blowing towards me ... I know which I would prefer!

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:24 pm

We were like you wicksey sweeping up all the ash on terraces, house stank from smoke even from safe distance but clearly watched the fire and watched them evacuate the houses, they had lucky escape, today can see all damage to ground cover but looks better than would expect after witnessing it yesterday.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:09 pm

I believe they can pick up from pools but we have overhead power cables nearby so that don't take the risk.

The planes pick up sea water and I believe there was once a case when two very unlucky snorkelers were dumped onto a fire!

Sid

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:03 pm

The planes took water out of Vinuela a few times last year, but we only saw the helicopter take it once. They practised quite a bit last year, picking water up at one end and dropping it at the other, which was a bit exciting for the poor soul in his boat trying to get out of the way
AlisonB

hairbear
Tourist

Postby hairbear » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:46 am

my spanish partner is a bombero and fights the forest fires here. they can collect water from wherever they want-as some of you have said better that than burn to death. they work long hours and are very badly paid for putting their lives at risk...
as for a warning page i imagine thats hard as fires can spread very quickly and go in any direction-theyve actually had people who when theyve gone to evacuate them because the winds changed and is heading for them-they refuse to leave their homes...sensible....

Gazespana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Is there a fire warning site on the web

Postby Gazespana » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:41 pm

The Plane picked up water from Lake Iznajar - a bit unnerving when your trying to have a peaceful couple of hours fishing !! :shock:

fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fearless nige » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:26 pm

The Torrox fire was a reminder to us all of the dangers - I was around 100 meters away taking photographs and the heat was tremendous.

This should link to a couple of my pics on the surinenglish site:-

http://readersphotos.surinenglish.com/d ... t=84&pos=1

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:04 pm

El Cid wrote: I believe there was once a case when two very unlucky snorkelers were dumped onto a fire!
Urban myth, Sid!! :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:40 pm

The authorities are supposed to pay you for any water they take.

BTW I heard on the radio a few weeks ago that many inland areas around Málaga are on water restrictions. It said there are approx. 12,000 swimming pools in the area and they will only be allowed to fill them once. What does that mean? can they not be topped up over the summer :? Maximum fine is 6000E.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Is there a fire warning site on the web

Postby gavilan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:29 pm

when are the helicopters used and when the red/yellow water plane?