car license change

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
blondie
Resident

car license change

Postby blondie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:45 pm

Sorry guys this has probably been done to death but after a quick search(well not so quick im on dial up) I couldnt see anything.

Just want a definitive answer on what paperwork I need to change my license to a Spanish one and how much it costs.

Company here quoted me 120 euros for it, is that worth it?

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:47 pm

Sorry, should have mentioned that I am thinking of going and doing it myself but is it difficult, and therefore worth paying for someone else to do it.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:04 pm

I had mine done by an abogado 4 years ago in Antequerra along with my residencia application and was charged 232€ :shock: Hubby did his residencia at the polica station, no abodado, cost just the 7€ fee :shock: I think I was seen coming as they say!! I was ´advised´ by my old British neighbours I needed to go to an abogado, I did not know better then!
We enquired at the gestors office here in Moron and was told to change the driving license it would be 50€ When my licence was sent off the abogado gave me a stamped copy to keep for the police.
We need to get ours changed for our new address, we will go into the traffico ofice in Sevilla (if we can find out what to do!) Hopefully then I will get a new photo card and not the HUGE pink paper one I have now :(

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:50 pm

oliveview01 wrote: Hopefully then I will get a new photo card and not the HUGE pink paper one I have now :(
They just record your new address on their database and will probably not change it until you renew it.

The photo licence does not have an address on it.

Some Ayuntamientos will do the address change for you.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:31 pm

You will only get the card type if you specifically ask for it when handing in your application at Trafico. It has to be sent to Madrid for, whereas the flappy paper one can be issued locally on the spot. There's no extra fee, but you have to wait for it to be delivered by post.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:59 pm

That's always assuming you actually receive your post.

DGT will not put a post office box address on your licence and the post office will not now put anything in your post office box that doesn't have your box number on it! :(

Catch 22? More like sheer bloody-mindedness.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Sevilla traffico

Postby pilgrim » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:28 pm

I did my change of address on my Spanish licence - pink paper one, at Sevilla traffico a couple months ago, together with my husbands. there was no charge, very straight forward, they said when we renew our licence next year we will get the plastic card ones. There was a discrpency on mine, the details on the licence did not match those on my residencia card - middle name ommitted so I had a new pink licnece whilst my husband was given a piece of paper to carry with his licence, luckily I had taken photos with me.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:51 am

Does anybody have any idea on the original question as to which paperwork I need, how much it costs etc to change from English to Spanish licence?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:12 pm

You can read the requirements here:-

http://tinyurl.com/2pdpl5

And download the application form here:-

http://tinyurl.com/2vwqyv

Sid

nandu
Tourist

Postby nandu » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:27 am

Bit of a long shot - anyone had any experience of importing a non EU registered car (Andorra to be precise). I understand it can be very pricy.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:11 am

Thanks for the link, very helpful

Can you help as to what a "talon foto" is?

Thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:37 am

blondie wrote: Can you help as to what a "talon foto" is?
I was half expecting you to ask that question.

So far I have not managed to find out what they mean by that but the good news is that Trafico don't seem to know either!

I can refer you to a good thread on another forum which gives a very good description of the process from a first hand perspective.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fincasins ... ssage/9217

Sid