Summer Guests

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.

Are we mad inviting guests to our homes in July and August?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:10 pm

Yes we are stone mad
55%
No, its great to have guests
20%
Yes we are mad , but we love it really
25%

Total votes: 40

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Summer Guests

Postby Kathy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:04 pm

Can anyone tell me why we continue to invite guests to stay with us?

Every time they leave its feels sooooooooo good to have the house back, why do we do it?

We act as tour guides, taxi drivers, provide hotel services, in house dinning, airport transfers the works.

May I ask does anyone pick you up from Heathrow or Gatwick?

Do your guests reciprocate the services we provide in Spain?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:15 pm

We don't actually invite anybody. If friends or family want to come (other than my mum and my wife's parents) they stay in our apartment on the coast, paying a shade less than the going rate, and hire a car if they want to get around or come up to see us.

My brother is the only member of my family who has taken exception to this arrangement. I haven't seen him for about fourteen years and I couldn't care less!

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Beachcomber wrote:My brother is the only member of my family who has taken exception to this arrangement. I haven't seen him for about fourteen years and I couldn't care less!
I 'd love a close family like that :)
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:33 pm

I often see these threads about people complaining about their guests and I have to ask do you have some really weird friends or do you just invite strangers over?

I go over to see my uncle a lot and I always hire a car, do some DIY for him, help him in his garden and on the first day I always go down to the supermercado and ensure I've got loads of food not just for me but for him as well. I'll take him out for meals and down to the golf course. To me that's just common courtesy and my way of saying thank you for letting me use/share your home for a couple of weeks.

Perhaps I'm unique but it shocks me how rude and ignorant some of your "friends" seem to be.

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:39 pm

Dear Giff,

You sound like the perfect guest! :D
Believe me you-re are not the norm

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:42 pm

lol is that an invite Kathy?

No in all seriousness I can easily imagine some people taking advantage but I just wouldn't have the nerve to do that.

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:48 pm

After nearly two months with guests on and off

this " hotel " has no vacancies:-))))

I´m terribly sorry:-)))

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:22 pm

I suppose it can be even a touch more exhasperating when it's your holiday home like us.
When we moved out to the country from a town we gave in to hints from friends who wanted to visit as we now had guest facilities/bathrooms etc.
As always these things turn into a ritual and every summer break we had a couple stay with us, each year the stay getting longer until it was virtually like a timshare to them, it was like groundhog day :twisted: ...................no probs though really until one day when a fatal mistake was made by them.

We were running low on supplies after a week (400 euro spend) and announced one afternoon whilst they were stripped off by the pool that we needed to dive down to Eroski at Velez........we wanted them to come to pick a few bits they like by the way not for money...............anyway the lady said to OH "We're on our holidays you know!!!!!"
Oooooops, red rag to bull time :oops: **** hit the fan with a vengeance and Campo Kenny went and hid behind the settee!!!

Only 3 day or less stays are welcomed now with no airport runs implied or offered.
Before we bought over there an ex work collegue put us up for 3 nights and ferried us to and from Malaga...............but we made sure the guys never had to put their hands in their pockets and paid for the Eroski shop...........it's all manners really isn't it?

Kenny

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:44 pm

I suppose we have been lucky in not having any guests stay with us in the years we have been in Spain. Our friends either can't afford to come out here or have family commitments which mean they rarely go away anywhere, or they are at the other end of the scale and prefer to go to far more exotic places like Grenada or Mauritius. The few people that have come out insist on arranging their own accommodation so as not to be a nuisance to us ..... how kind!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm afraid our one and only pair of guests (apart from daughter) invited themselves for a week, after we'd mentioned they were welcome for a couple of nights. I knew at the time it was a mistake.

He moaned about the heat,( they always go abroad in July), about walking, (he'd boasted about doing 20mile treks in the army)
Met up with some friends over there and as usual he couldn't say 2 words without effing and blinding, something I always tackled him about anyway.

Although we just about kept our cool with him, she was o.k. but mad to put up with him anyway, so on our return I'm afraid we just dropped them completely, and have not spoken to them for over a year. :lol:

She offered me 50euros on the last night. I gave it to my daughter towards her next holiday.

I wouldn't care we'd been away with them for a weekend before and he was actually o.k., apart from upsetting the hotel owner :oops:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:34 pm

We tend to have just family come to stay. But no-one has yet hired a car (excuses ranging from - can only drive automatics and they're too expensive, to too many points on licence to hire). And no-one has ever offered money towards food, although my cousin did put some diesel in the car. The only friends (rather than family) who came were awfully clean people, and despite the fact that the water was cut off 14 hours a day every day they were here, they insisted on showering twice a day. We ended up having to get water from the local well.
But so long as they don't come July or August I don't mind really, and we try to make sure we're out and about at lunchtime, so we have menu del dia most days, and even my family will go halves in a restaurant.
We do turn the tables on them fairly regularly and stay with them, although when we go to UK, we always hire a car. And the clean friends put us up in UK when we were homeless, so I love them too!
AlisonB

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:27 pm

I have a houseful all summer. The kids come home bringing friends, my friends visit and we also host Helpex volunteers as a cheap way of getting general maintenance done. We also have rental guests in our apartment, who use our pool. I live in fear of double booking the bedrooms!

My friends are always very good about splitting expenses and treating us for meals. I've started charging the friends of my kids for their board as six or so hungry teenagers in the house at one time is no joke! The volunteers get bed and board in return for work.

I do think I'm mad sometimes, usually when I'm hanging out the umpteenth pair of sheets, but it generally works well for us and its nice to have the company although I do heave a sigh of relief in September when life gets back to normal and I can read a book again without being interrupted.

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:16 pm

Im now 24 hours on since the guests left and I´m relishing in having my home back.

In a strange way perhaps its good to have visitors to appreciate our abodes?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:58 pm

It has got to be worth reposting this wonderful message, allegedly sent by an amigo on here to their family, just for those who may not have seen it:
"Dear all,
Yes, of course, we would love to see you again this year, but there have been a few changes:
1) You will have to hire a car from the airport as we no longer do free airport pickups and deliveries.
2) Day-time flights only; we go to bed at midnight, so no middle of the night flights (however cheap).
3) We no longer compete with the all-inclusive hotel holiday deals. We do not provide free breakfast, lunch and dinner together with all-day snacks and, of course, alcoholic refreshments. We will, of course, tell you where the best Menus del Día can be found.
4) We do not have a live-in maid, so you will be responsible for making your bed, mopping the floor and keeping the bathroom clean.
5) We do not provide a laundry service so please bring your own hand, bath and beach towels.
6) Our daily, free sightseeing trips to local sights of interest have been cancelled because we are sick to death of looking at the same caves and views etc over and over again. We will provide maps and information for you to explore on your own.
7) Our free telephone service to the UK has been suspended; use your own mobiles.
(8) You may be on holiday and want to stay out till 3am, but we live here and keep reasonable hours - please be quiet when coming home.
9) Should you wish to spend time lazing round our pool and prefer to stay in we shall expect help with food preparations, shopping etc; we will also operate a joint kitty, from which all food and drink shopping costs, petrol for joint trips etc will be deducted.
10)Due to increased costs, there will now be a daily issue of 12 sheets of toilet paper per person. There are timers on the bidets but feel free to use them for up to 5 minutes per hour.
(11) We are retired and living on our pensions which, due to the awful exchange rate, are decreasing each month - so we were considering coming over to you for two weeks this year!
What dates did you say you were booking?”
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:06 pm

Brilliant! :D

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:29 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: made my morning , thankyou !

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:38 am

How come you lot have such lousy friends? Our visitors are a pleasure.
Grouser

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:40 pm

Don´t speak too soon;)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:17 pm

First few years we had lots of friends staying. We started to feel used as the week turned into two. My Cousin, who is very close (we shared a room at school) came at least twice a year. Couldn't stand her new Husband and the end came when he informed me that he left the Air con on all the time so that the room was always cool when he entered. I have never seen anyone drink and eat so much!

Family come out a lot but that is a pleasure (nice when they have gone though). They mainly do their own thing and actually spend more on food than us.

Always asked for lots of things from Friends. have I got...plug adaptor, Aftersun, Headache/stomach pills, Hairspray etc. We pick them up from the Airport, give them the use of one of the cars and still expect us to go sightseeing with them!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Some people I find need to have a continuous string of friends/aquaintences stay with them and sort of use it as an "I'm so popular" conversation piece whilst moaning about the guests who've just left.

We've had mates over but to be honest I enjoy my time over there more when it's just me and OH in the house.
No matter how good friends they are the old familiarity breeds contempt saying is so very true.

Kenny