Good Quality Meat - well hung !!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Monterey
Tourist

Good Quality Meat - well hung !!

Postby Monterey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:12 pm

As the originator of the topic about where can you get good quality meat, I started combing the web for information and I have come across a company on the internet which supplies imported frozen meat from England, Ireland and New Zealand, and they can deliver to your home anywhere in the Axarquia - not sure where that extends to but definitely covers Velez I would have thought.
They have a nice website but has anyone used them? The prices seem Ok too.

It´s called www.meat-direct.com

Monterey

BadGirl

Re: Good Quality Meat - well hung !!

Postby BadGirl » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi Monterey,

Yes, we have just used the company. I think it is a new start-up but we ordered a leg of lamb on-line and it was fantastic ( frozen new zealand and lots of meat on it - just like back home !). It cost us 20 euros and they delivered it to our finca and even included fresh sprigs of rosemary with it. It took about 3 days from the point of ordering. A brilliant service and the quality of the lamb was great.

We´ve just ordered some more. another leg of lamb and we´re going to try the bacon and am tempted to order our turkey for Xmas, but not sure yet. Willl post another review after Friday ! (if you order before a Tuesday, it should be with you Friday or Saturday).

Gillie

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:26 am

very limited choice,operating with a mobile number only,i wouldnt trust these amateurs one bit
jayne countys most famous song,google it

Monterey
Tourist

Postby Monterey » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:36 pm

Sounds a bit harsh ...Frog

From what I understand it is a start up business and I know how hard it is our here to start a business up - we have a hotel and for the first 4 months we had to operate from a mobile phone due to the incompetence of Telefonica. Amateurish we´re weren´t, just inconvenienced.

Because of your comments, Frog, I´m going to give them a try. Everyone needs a chance.

Will post my comments as to the service once I´ve experienced it ...... rather than just guesssing.

Monterey

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:11 pm

I shall be interested to hear your comments as I have found in the past that frozen meat is never a patch on fresh. I wonder if they have got a new way of freezing?
Life is 'ard den you die!

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:25 am

you are just paying a middleman,they are not butchers,just delivery guys,just look at what they offer,rib-eye steak....no sirloin,fillet,rump even stewing etc

and what are you going to do with your 45 rashers of frozen bacon,you defrost it and live on bacon for a week?its a catering pack it comes in a 2.27 kilo pack that i can buy now for 11 euros

the whole legs of frozen pork will make 2 or 3 joints,how you going to cut that up then?

you want to defrost and re-freeze it? or again live on roast pork for a week

i could pull apart all they offer but its late

i wonder what sort of receipt you get with these guys(iva?)

they will be gone in a few months,hoping to cash in at xmas i guess

anyway give yourself food poisoning,see if i care

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:33 am

Isn't it remarkable - a member posts a query, and up pops BadGirl with a glowing reference for the supplier, having joined our ranks the day before!
She couldn't possibly have any connection, could she? :?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:03 pm

Same thought crossed my mind Peter.

Mhic.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:42 pm

I was in Supersol today in Rincon de la Victoria, looking at the Christmas goodies. At the side of the meat counter was an extra freezer with frozen baby pigs in it, but also frozen New Zealand legs and shoulders of lamb. The price of the lamb was 6.99 € per kilo.

I have had one of these before from a friend who found them in the Supersol in Nerja earlier in the year and they were nice, well much nicer than the Spanish lamb, more meat etc.

I didn't have the car today and didn't want to carry frozen meat around the market, but will probably buy one tomorrow.

Monterey
Tourist

Postby Monterey » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:31 pm

Frog,

I think you need to calm down a bit. Too many late nights by the sound of it !

I´m going to give this company a try - and I´ll let you know how good/bad they are. That is the point of the forum isn´t it??

and by the way if you´re only paying 11 euros for 5lb of bacon, I´m surprised you´re still alive !

As previously said - i´ll post another review once I´ve experienced it..... rather than guessing.

Monterey

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:46 pm

I'm sure people will draw their own conclusions. Personally I would never buy meat in this way and certainly not from someone who only offered a mobile telephone number as a point of contact.
Let's go Brandon!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:04 pm

Neither would I buy meat with only a website recommendation from a newbie and a mobile no. Could be out of date stuff repackaged! I don't buy frozen food here anyway as it always has the look or feel that has thawed and been re-frozen.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:12 am

monterray,i dont understand your comment

'and by the way if you´re only paying 11 euros for 5lb of bacon, I´m surprised you´re still alive !'

that is the catering price that all bar/cafe/restaurant owners can get it for,it does fluctuate though

you wont get it for that price from a brit butcher,i think my local one sells it for around 14.50 atm

stick too commenting on threads you know about,leave this one to the pro's and take their advice

or get ripped off

memo...must stop being helpful again!!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:16 pm

Frog - I think some folk think that local bar and restaurant owners buy their food and drink from Eroski....Doh!!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:49 pm

My whole leg of New Zealand lamb (frozen) from Supersol cost just over 13 euros.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:07 am

bad girl,if you want to try my meat....

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:45 am

i had better not mention that im getting a whole FRESH bleater(lamb)for xmas for 50 euros then..just hope they havnt left the head on.. :shock:
Oh,and i especially asked if mine could have 5 legs...i do live quite near Cepsa,so it shouldnt be too much of a problem... :lol:

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:05 am

I just bought a whole leg of lamb in Sainsbury's Northampton for £7.00.

Why's it so expensive in Spain? Is pork or beef cheaper? I noticed chicken was more expensive as well.

What meat is cheaper in Spain?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:51 am

Beachbabe,
For all British Expats who are funded from the UK everything is more expensive at the moment.
Pork and chicken were good value in Spain,beef has always been expensive, and even fish and shellfish are now much more expensive, even to locals.
Chicken, pork and lamb products seems to be very reasoanble in UK at the moment, and seems to have a much nicer taste, but that's just my own personal opinion.
If you are offered cheap Irish pork , be wary, lots of problems being reported at present,not that these scares put me off..
Regards,
Gordon