Detail on SATNAV for Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Detail on SATNAV for Spain

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:49 am

We are going to get a new Satnav whilst the good deals are on and this time will probably go for a European map as well for a bit of fun when we're out there.

Question is how good is it for Andalucia on say a Tomtom....i.e I'd hope it shows all the roads in and out of all the pueblos blancos :?: ...........and also does it show established tracks?

Comments from users appreciated.

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

jo-ann
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Detail on SATNAV for Spain

Postby jo-ann » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:21 pm

I bought the latest Spanish map for my Tomtom last year in March and no way is it uptodate , doesn't recognize any unmade roads even if they have been established for years, and when driving in extremadura it didn't have a clue, it just looked as though we were driving through fields all of the time. The only advantage now is that updates can be made by other users and then downloaded to your own machine.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:52 pm

Jo, many thanks for that. Not what we wanted to hear but what we probably expected, if that's the case then I think we'll cancel that panic buy.

Appreciated.
DA

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:18 pm

How good a Satnav device is depends on the maps they use and how often they are updated.
I have a Mio 269 which was last updated in 2007.It uses the Tele Atlas maps.
The update included the new roundabout by Ikea/ Plaza Mayor before it had been built. :D :D
Also included the unmade/ unadopted track up to my house in the campo.

Cheers
Last edited by gerryh on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:25 pm

I think I need to look at somebodys over there in Spain really with these differing views.

Many thanks
DA

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Even my TomTom purchased two years ago with no map updates shows all of the tracks and by-roads in my area. The only time it shows me driving through a field is when I am on a new road or by-pass opened in the last couple of years.
Let's go Brandon!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:02 pm

I have a Navman with european maps bought Christmas 2007, i.e a year ago. We haven;t used it extensivly in Spain as yet as we are still a couple of months away from moving over. But I did bring it over on a couple of trips just to try it out.

I seems to have a pretty good coverage of the tracks, at least those around our home. We are midway between Sayalonga and Competa. At Sayalonga you have two choices, carry on the main bendy road, or take a couple of tracks. Which one does Navman pick?. You guessed it the tracks as it is a little shorter.

We also took a ride out to a friends place having previously set our home as a favourite. They live miles out in the campo. The Navman managed to get us back home.

I don't think their camera database covers Spain.

Anyone know if the traffic module will work in Spain. It receives traffic update via FM radio stations here in the UK. Is there an equivalent in Spain?
Regards

Bob

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:07 pm

My Garmin Nuvi, bought Xmas 2007, is reasonably competent over here...except it hates Marbella for some reason and tries to take me on roads which don't exist!"!! (very Freudian) :roll:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:54 pm

I bought a TT910 over a year ago and think it is amazing........shows all the "Campo" track where I live and is great for finding those strange sounding road/town/places.........Great kit and spot on.

For those interested you can go even better with a Garmin using Mapsource and digital download maps.....but that a bit.......... :?
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks guys for all the replies............it's back on the list for tomorrow now!!

That is the sort of thing the forum is invaluable for.........imagine asking the spotty yoof in Comet if it does that sort of thing.

Well chuffed now.

DA

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Sorry to gatecrash, but seeing as you´re sorted, thought i´d now ask a question....

we bought a TomTom Go 300, last year with UK map, hoping for our friends to download and send the european maps on sd card. Unfortunately the sd card with the maps onloaded didnt work on ours (said no maps found).he put it in his and it says maps found, so not sure what the problem was).

Anyway, whats the best way of going about getting Spain/Portugal maps on, preferably without going along the route of expensive purchase of more equipment/software.

Thanks,

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:55 pm

im sure they are downloadable.. hmmm

i was looking at this one - 40 quid new :shock:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php?sk ... eroftheDay
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:55 pm

See here for the map download page for your TomTom:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/sel ... e=1&P=5003

The downloads will only work with the specific unit for which it is downloaded. That's why the one your friend downloaded for his wouldn't work in yours. This is logical because, otherwise, there would be a huge black market in the maps.
Let's go Brandon!

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:02 am

Like Detourer we have the TT 910 and we think it is fantastic over here. You have to be a bit careful and make your own mind up whether to tackle a track up a mountain, but we had that problem in the UK. Some roads it tried to send you down were ridiculous. Would recommend it to anyone. One piece of advice - don't leave it in the car on a hot day. It doesn't like extreme temperatures. Ours also stopped working Going over Sierra Nevadas and I blamed the sudden cold.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:27 am

did you have the climate control on? why did it get so cold inside the car so suddenly ?

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:01 am

Yes we did have climate control on. Perhaps it was a bit high up for it? But it has happened twice up there on our trips to my Brother in Almeria.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:11 pm

you went to the sierra nevada on your way to almeria ? from cartama ? :shock: you must of been following the sat nav :roll:

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:27 pm

We were until it conked out!!! We were actually going to a little place called Fines which is near Albox.
We weren't sure where we were going the first time and got lost finding his place. Some of the tracks it took us down I wondered if we were going to ever see civilisation again!!