You Tube Video on Vera house demolition

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

You Tube Video on Vera house demolition

Postby Jool » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:22 am

To see exactly what happened when this house was demolished see the YouTube video posted on Typicallyspanish today......scroll down to see the You Tube video

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/pu ... 9539.shtml

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: You Tube Video on Vera house demolition

Postby Dixie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:46 am

I saw this on tv and was shocked and disgusted, That poor guy collapsed with the stress of it all :(
To the world you are one person
To one person you are the world!

Dixie

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:42 pm

We watched the whole thing and are shocked that this legalised vandalism happened.
Several things come to mind;
- did the couple break or ignore regulations or orders to plant, i.e. fruit trees, etc. the house being in a designated area for, as they said, 'growing things'
- why wasn't there a spokesperson for the JdeA on the video explaning the decision, we only saw one side of what happened so it's baffling - but still shocking
- is a concrete slab better for a 'growing things' area than a house? What has the demolition achieved for the JdeA?
- what about the buildings in the background or the garage?
- are the JdeA a higher authority than the Supreme Court in Madrid?
We don't understand ANY of this

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:08 pm

That is precisely the point Lavanda, it simply does not make sense.........and there are other houses in the same road, including one belonging to a spanish official (I understand this is actually over-sized relative to the m2 of the land), that is untouched, although some other owners have received notices of possible demolition / legal action none have been activated, this couple were just singled out, yet their garage and pool are legally allowed to remain, :roll:

Plus of course this was all done before the final appeal went ahead and when the consitutional review appeal hearing was granted (a rare event in itself) the review Court said there was nothing to review as the house had already been demolished so they cold not rule!! Surely just a way to avoid ordering the JdeA to compensate the Priors instead of passing the buck to an impoverished Town Hall. Its a farcical nonsense in which lives are ruined beyond repair.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:25 pm

It's horrifying. And this is the reason we are keeping our roots in the UK. We have always got a bollt hole to run back to!!
Our villa is mostly legal, apart from a third bedroom we built on in 2002, but then they thought theirs was legal - it doesn't seem to mean much over here.
My brother is in a similar position to the Priors and not far from them. His house was built in good faith, the plot being sold as a building plot but due to his faith in a spanish lawyer and his ignorance has now proved to be illegal. This has totally ruined his retirement with all the worry it has caused and they are spending less and less time there. They were burgled last winter when they were absent and everything of value taken. Fortunately the insurance coughed up, but they have just lost heart.
With stories like this I wonder how anybody wants to retire to Spain.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Yes I know it is deeply sad as Spain is a great place to be climate and transport wise and many of the spanish (politicans excluded) are lovely people. I too will never let my house in the UK go although Spain is my home despite the fact I am increasingly ashamed of its shenanigans and corruption.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:18 pm

What amazes me is that some people still refuse to accept that this kind of action by the Junta has greatly contributed to the 91% fall in foreign investment in the first nine months of last year.
Let's go Brandon!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:29 pm

I believe you beach.....!
if the lawyers do their jobs, and if we have been told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about this story(which I´m not convince we have been)then one day this couple will be very wealthy from the compensation they get when this gets to court.the town hall are in for a heafty payout one day. obviously that is not what the couple really want, they wanted the stay in the house they had.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Jool I agree with you that Spain is a great place to be. Wish I was brave enough to retire here completely. I love where we are, the spanish people are great and the weather out of this world (apart from today!!)
But even when my OH retires completely I don't think we will commit while all this is going on. So we will just be like DA and float back and forth on extended holidays for as long as we are able.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:25 pm

Yes, Julian, even a layman must be able to understand that the actions of the Junta were totally illegal. The demolition order had been issued by an Almería provincial court which comes under the jurisdiction of and is controlled by the very same Junta. There were appeals pending in two higher courts which the Junta entirely disregarded and went ahead anyway.

We come back to the fact that the application for the building licence was properly published in the Almería BOP by the Diputación de Almería. This is for the very reason that any interested parties are able to object. Why did the Junta not object at this stage and if they knew the property was illegal why did they commit the fraudulent act of accepting fees and taxes in respect of its construction? If they didn't know it was illegal how did they expect a couple of foreign pensioners to know.

The offences committed by the Junta are of criminal damage and/or fraud but what Spanish court is going to find against them?
Let's go Brandon!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Beach, there is the European Courts of Justice, Human Rights Courts (the right to have a home, live free and undisturbed, etc. etc.), etc. Why is the EU or the MEP not involved or some higher power than the JdeA and the Madrid courts? It's totally outrageous but there's something not right about any of this. Why were this particular couple singled out for this extreme kind of treatment? How can the JdeA possibly think that they can do what they did without a huge backlash? I'm still stunned and baffled. Jool, you live in Almeria, don't you? What is going on?

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:21 pm

to me it is clear that the court has no option to declare that it is either the junta or the town hall that is guilty here, and one or the other will end up paying compensation, presumimg they have a half decent lawyer who understands urbanistic law, and presuming we have been told the whole truth about all this.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Yes I do live in Almeria but the problem is no one really knows what is going on.....and the Junta is and has been protected by the legal system, if it can even be called that.....Everyone is worried as no one really knows for sure what colour rabbit will be pulled out of the hat next and for what reason......the only guarantee is it will benefit the Junta and no one else. The background story to this is the political history between Vera Town Hall and the JdeA.......

Julian, loads of people have looked at this and all the paperwork in existence and no one disputes that the Priors are telling the truth...........it seems neither they, nor their solicitor were advised of the things the Junta say they told Vera Town Hall, and thus the JdeA have ruled it is the town hall who are responsible, 100%, and thus should compensate the Priors, yet they have received nothing....however, most strangely they are living in their garage, with power and water and with the swimming pool on their land and this seems to be ok with the Authorities?

The problem with legal decisions is the time they take and the Priors could be long dead by the time any money is paid out having suffered for nothing except being sued as political pawns........

All in all a very sorry mess and one of the main reasons why we have so many totally deserted building sites over here and extremely high unemployment........not to mention roads started then stopped and so on............