Rude shop staff part II

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Scot
Resident

Rude shop staff part II

Postby Scot » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:19 pm

The croissant shop in Eroski (El Ingenio) - on the ground floor as you exit the tills. The girl in there :evil: Every time I go in (or with friends ). The folk on next table said they were there under duress as other cafe full! Last Sat, my friend asked for decaf coffee with milk (speaks great Spanish) and got tiny black coffee, no milk. The girl ignored all our requests to change this, said thats what my friend asked for and she's not wrong and proceeded to serve the next customers. She left us all standing at counter and went into the back to wash the dishes :shock: I went back today on my own (I know, the pastries are good :D ) and I only had 20 euro note for 2.45 bill. She huffed and gave me my change - all in 50 cents and 1 euro coins!! The next customers got notes :shock: Please go try it - really entertaining, but I can't see that hidden camera anywhere!!

Colinm
Resident

Re: Rude shop staff part II

Postby Colinm » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:01 pm

Which one is it Scot? There is one facing towards Superskunk and one facing towards (the perfume/make up shop). My bet its the one facing the perfume shop! Remember once ordering 'dos cafe con leche y una tarta manzana', the guy pointed to the apple tart, said 'si, con nata?', I said 'no' and he brought down coconut tart :twisted: obviously just taking the ******
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:18 pm

Oh no - it's the superskunk one :(

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Answer - erés sordo.......o tonto......yo he pedido....... :lol:

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:25 am

ahh the joys of living in andalucia,im changing the old saying to ignorance is (bliss) to spain

julian where are you mate
jayne countys most famous song,google it

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 am

I´m sitting here trying to work out what your "ignorance is (bliss) to spain" means !!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:47 am

One of the camereros in the snack bar nearest the entrance at Il Engenio has not only a very good command of English, but also a wicked sense of humour - I asked him to wait "un momento" and he replied "¿momento con leche or sin leche?". I have also heard him check whether someone wanted a momento grande or pequeño... :D
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:06 am

Maybe they just hate their jobs and take it out on the customers. I often have a coffee in the morning at a cafe near a Supersol. The staff go in there for breakfast before work, they are always pleasant and chat to me in the cafe. Yet when they are working they revert back to being unhelpful and surly when serving people.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:15 am

Jool wrote:Answer - erés sordo.......o tonto......yo he pedido....... :lol:
Being pedantic, no accent needed on "eres". :D The stress falls on the first "e", so none needed.
La palabra "eres" no lleva acento ninguno porque el acento recae en la primera sílaba. :lol:
Tin hat time!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Stupot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Stupot » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:55 pm

Being even more pedantic I think you meant....no lleva ningún acento........ Time to run to the air raid shelter!!! :lol: :lol:
Stupot

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:46 am

I´m sitting here trying to work out what your "ignorance is (bliss) to spain" means !!!
well its like this julian,you swap the word bliss for spain as spain if you ask me imho is full of ignorant b arsterds,well i can only comment on andaluthea and now the bugge rs are skint they will be robbing our houses instead of taking the p iss out of us in cafes
jayne countys most famous song,google it

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:58 am

Thank you Frog for your usual optimistic and uplifting comments. Apart from our local Maskom supermarket, where the staff practice the ancient art of gurneying, I usually get smiles from
all the supermarket staff. It may just be that some of them are smiles of sympathy for my
Spanish pronunciation, or perhaps their piles are playing up. Either way I don't care - a smile is a smile. :D
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:39 pm

I usually get smiles from
all the supermarket staff
is this because they know of all your unfortunate accidents,and maybe are waiting for you to emerge from behind one of the stacked shelves with trousers wrapped round your ankles??? :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Stupot wrote:Being even more pedantic I think you meant....no lleva ningún acento........ Time to run to the air raid shelter!!! :lol: :lol:
"No lleva ningún acento" ????? No, I stick by what I wrote! :D The way I read it, is your way (which is perfectly good Spanish) means It doesn't have an accent, whereas the way I wrote it means, it has no accent whatsoever, it's more emphatic. I'm no expert, but that's the way I see it. and I did run it past my very switched on Spanish friend! :lol: His reply below.
Either way, keep it coming, it's a refreshing change for me to have a discussion on the Spanish lanuage. :) There are some here that have a Spanish level far, far superior to mine, but they are keeping out of it. :(

Hola Frank. Es perfectamente correcto decir "no lleva acento ninguno" incluso es hasta un poco más enfático que la otra forma, "no lleva ningún acento".

Hasta pronto

> La palabra "eres" no lleva acento ninguno porque el acento recae en la
> primera sílaba.
>
> Is the "acento ninguno" bit acceptable Miguel, or should it be "ningún acento"?
Regards, Frank

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:17 pm

Frank and Stupot - are you enjoying yourselves....?? :P Is it Meldrew vs Meldrew?

Spanish would understand what I said, you can´t see an accent in words even amongst the spanish.......

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:56 pm

Yes you are correct accents are falling out of use. Blame texting and computers as it's easy to put it on the wrong vowel if you don't have keyboard skills and trying to type fast, safer to leave them out :D

Being diplomatic I think Frank and Stupot are both correct. However, if you read Frank's post in context his was correct for the situation. Although what do I know, probably speak Spanish better than I write it :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:42 am

Yes you are correct accents are falling out of use. Blame texting and computers as it's easy to put it on the wrong vowel if you don't have keyboard skills and trying to type fast, safer to leave them out :D
Agree, although thankfully both in English and Spanish there are still people that try to write correctly. If you read a Spanish forum populated by youngsters, it is especially noticeable, lots of text speak and no accents. Things like "a2" adios, "nd" nada, "salu2" saludos, "tmb" también. :(
Being diplomatic
That´s not like you, Katy! :lol:
Regards, Frank

Stupot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Stupot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi Frank

my dear chap - you are of course absolutely correct and I apologise for unwittingly suggesting you weren't - that wasn't the intention. Emphasis would definitely require the use of your wording. Strangely enough, I was told off today for using the word acento in this context. My Spanish friend insists that only the word Tilde is correct - and I know that's not the case! Ho hum! Interesting debate going on here as well about the use of LE as a direct object pronoun. The locals insist on it and others disagree - and this is amongst the Spanish!

You said ' keep it coming ' - I think it quite reasonable to discuss Spanish grammar and the language on the forum - perhaps there should be a heading for it - then Jool won't be upset by our Meldrewing!

Apologies to all who think we are old farts.

Regards

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi Frank
Strangely enough, I was told off today for using the word acento in this context. My Spanish friend insists that only the word Tilde is correct - and I know that's not the case!
Yes, I have heard that before as well, but the Real Academia Español is in no doubt! :D

acento.
2. m. Tilde, rayita oblicua que en la ortografía española vigente baja de derecha a izquierda de quien escribe o lee. Se usa para indicar en determinados casos la mayor fuerza espiratoria de la sílaba cuya vocal la lleva, p. ej., cámara, símbolo, útil, allá, salió; y también para distinguir una palabra o forma de otra escrita con iguales letras, p. ej., sólo, adverbio, frente a solo, adjetivo; o con ambos fines a la vez, p. ej., tomó frente a tomo; él, pronombre personal, frente a el, artículo.
You said ' keep it coming ' - I think it quite reasonable to discuss Spanish grammar and the language on the forum - perhaps there should be a heading for it - then Jool won't be upset by our Meldrewing!
I wouldn´t worry about upsetting him/her, if you write in Spanish and it's incorrect, you should expect it to be corrected. On all my posts in Spanish forums my signature says, "Todas las correcciones son bienvenidas", it's the only way we will improve. :D
Regards, Frank

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:19 pm

At least if someone makes a mistake when writing in Spanish they can rightly plead that it is a foreign language. As old readers of this forum will know, what saddens me is the abysmal standard of English demonstrated here and generally. Some seem never to have reached a reading/writing age of ten - a sad reflection on teaching over the years.
I scream every time I see "should of", "could of", "there meals", the panda looked at it's bamboo"....I could go on, and frequently do!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.