Renewing Passports

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Renewing Passports

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:34 pm

antonia wrote:A while ago i am sure that Princess peach obtained a passport from Gibraltar, if i remember correctly she posted the picture on here. :wink: Maybe send her a pm.
She did. Her husband worked in Gib.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12981&hilit=gibraltar+passport

Sid

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:46 pm

According to the UK passport web site it costs £72 for a normal (no rush) renewal.

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/fees.asp

They also provide a comparison chart of passport fees elsewhere in the world.

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/download ... mber08.pdf

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:37 am

McT wrote:If you were to use a friend's or relative's address in the UK to apply for a passport renewal, without actually being there yourself, would there be a problem signing for the new passport when it arrives? Most "signature required" letters or packages can be signed for by anyone at the address - does this apply to passports too, or does the person who applied for the passport have to sign for it?

Has anyone recently received a passport in the UK (legitimately or otherwise!)? Who signed for it?

McT
I know someone who recently did just that. They gave their relative in the UK a signed letter authorising them to take the passport in for them in their absence. As it turned out, the relative signed for the passport, and did not need to show the letter.

It does say on the passport form however, that you should be in the UK at the time you apply.

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:13 am

That's as I suspected. I think the stipulation that you must be in the UK at the time of application is because they won't send the passport to an address outside the UK. However, an authorization for someone else to sign sounds like a good idea - just in case.

McT

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:49 pm

when applying for a uk passport and living outside of the uk you can actually legally do so.

go to the office, fill in the form with ur residents / friends address, and take along a letter from them stating that you "spend the majority of your time while in the uk at their address, and a copy of their passport with a utility bill..

it actually says this on the website / on the form / the bloke at the passport office told me that this is ok :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:13 pm

spanish_lad wrote:.....go to the office....
But I don't want to go to the office! The required passport is actually a renewal for my five-and-a-bit year old son and my plan is to send the completed form to a relative in the UK who will send it to the Passport Office. The Passport Office will send the new passport to my relative's address and my wife will pick it up when she is over there at the end of next month.

However, SL's info confirms my view that the sticking point, as far as the Passport Office is concerned, seems to be that of sending the new passport outside of the UK. I think, reading between the lines, that you must reside in the UK means we must be able to send it to an address in the UK.

McT

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:20 pm

Have sent you a pm.

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:40 pm

El Cid is correct you cannot renew your passport in Gibraltar unless you are employed there or are a resident. My husband works in Gibraltar and has asked about this.

It is not difficult to renew a UK passport at the British Embassy in Madrid. It is getting the correct photographs that it the most difficult part. If you go to www.ukinspain.com and follow the instructions you can do it all yourself. Make sure you fill in a credit card authorisation form and if you have had your passport stolen or lost it make sure you have a police report and fill in the relevant form. You can print off all the forms.
Is Dyslexia a problem for you? If so pm me.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:04 pm

dont start peachy off ;) lol she got hers and her sons renewed in gib, but im guessing that they were donew because her ol´man works there.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.