outcasts

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
lucy locket
Resident

outcasts

Postby lucy locket » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:25 pm

Is their anyone here who has gone back to the uk and did you find it difficult with regards to the attitude of people in the uk. We decided to return to the uk after 12 years our house is for sale here so we thought we would rent in the uk. We wanted a detatched house with a big garden so it wasnt going to be a cheap rental the agents we dealt with over 50 different ones were awful if you have dogs forget it you maybe lucky if you have only one but 90 percent of landlords dont want dogs
or smokers some dont even allow children, we were told we would have to fumigate when leaving and
infestation was also mentioned and the fact you are returning from spain makes them think that you must be crooks or not trustworthy we were treated like gypsys. I know the uk has become a nanny
state since we left but it seem that they are so used to being told how to think and what to do that mostpeople in the uk are in a box and because we appear different to them and think differently we are are on the outside of their box which seems to confuse them slightly. they have become robots.
After such bad treatment we realised we couldnt stand to be back in the uk and we are now staying here where we have free thinking, freedom and dont live in a nanny state. So those of you on here that rent your property out in the uk and dont allow dogs think again :evil: those dogs often end up in the rescue centres. being a landlord involves give and take not just take, we are not all smelly. and the furniture would have been ours and many houses had wood flooring plus the propertys most of us have here are far superior to most on offer for rent in the uk. rant finished

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Re: outcasts

Postby Paula » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:06 pm

How long did you go back for?
We rent property in Spain and UK, we have had tenants with dogs and cats in both Countries. I think people make the usual mistake of not realising that a decent person is usually a decent pet owner, and therefore a decent tenant. I had one bad tenant here that allowed his dog to trash the furniture, but to be honest I think he would have done a good job of trashing things himself.

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:08 pm

When I bought my current house in the UK, the previous owners had a large dog (alsation or somesuch). Basically the place STANK. It was disgusting.
The owners offered to leave me the carpets - as if they were doing me a favour. In my innocence I thanked them. However they were all so smelly that I had to spend thousands to replace every carpet in the house. Even after that, there was something a little whiffy about the house.
I'd never buy a house from a dog-owner again, after that experience and if I was to rent the place out, I'd also insist on no animals of any sort - dogs, cats etc.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:11 pm

I allow dogs in my rental house and children but its in the contract that all carpets have to be shampooed before tenant leaves - only one tenant, funnily enough the one with loads of money, left the carpet in such a state it had to be shampooed twice......

A lot of your posts have an angry air, sounds like you´ve had a rough ride lately?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:20 pm

Pete, didn't the stink put you off when you bought it? If I rented to dog owners I would just ask for extra deposit...has no-one heard of professional cleaning services :idea: Give them a day and the will get shot of the most awful smells such as takeaways, smoke etc.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:26 pm

i had two dogs in UK and cream carpets,the first thing i went out and bought was a professional carpet cleaner,cost me a fortune,but saved my house from stinking of dogs and also saved my nice cream carpets from muck.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:49 pm

I think you are correct, it's not the dogs it's the people. If they never clean it will smell doggy or of burgers, smoke etc, a good fettle will get rid of anything :wink:

lucy locket
Resident

Postby lucy locket » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Jool I am not angry just peed off, when you decide to do something and all your met with is negativity and rules rules rules, we did find one house but the woman didnt want to rent it out really to anyone, can you beleive this ,she had moved because of her husbands job but had left a large unit in the lounge, she wanted to get it moved so we could move in but when they moved it there was no carpet underneath so we were told it would take another week to lay a new carpet, we said dont bother but the agent said it was a health and safety issue and we might trip over. :roll:
So after many weeks of phone calls 300 euros worth, lots of time wasted we decided to stay here.
Not so many rules, and freedom. plus it lets other people who are thinking of going back know what they are up against. :!:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Re: Outcasts

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:28 pm

When I was in the motor trade in the UK we always found it nearly impossible to rid a part exchange vehicle completely of four things - the smell of dogs, dog hairs entwined in upholstery, the smell of tobacco and the staining on surfaces, particularly cloth roof linings, caused by tobacco smoke.
We used professional cleaning materials and a spray/extract cleaner, so it was not from lack of expertise or effort, I can assure you.
A stinking car offered in P/X always attracted a lower offer from me!

pietree
Resident

Postby pietree » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:56 pm

Although I have three pets, I woulnt entertain one when I had my Uk properties to let, its just an incase thing, animals can be destructive.
Thats it for now

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:08 am

Leaving aside the dog issue,some years ago when we had to return due to family committments we were met with the same issues from a minority of people.i.e.negativity and often hostility and mistrust,quite often by those lacking in education or general awareness of life outside their own small area! We did wonder at times if we had just landed from another planet.Although we liked our immediate area,we were glad to return to spain where you feel you are allowed to use your own mind,the small mindedness and slavish following of criteria etc of the nanny state syndrome in the UK drove us mad!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:36 am

Many are running back to "Nanny" when the going gets tough. :lol:

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:37 pm

The "Outcasts" is a biker gang, right? Well, I am renting my UK house out again in July and would rather rent to a coke crazed biker gang than to a tenant with a dog. Yuk!

lucy locket
Resident

Postby lucy locket » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:39 pm

my dogs dont stink and neither does my house, what makes me laugh is that the place you rent out is probably a right dump and I wouldnt even have put you on my shortlist.
Its such a shame that people going back have to dump their dogs in all ready overcrowded rescue homes or even have to put them down. when these landlords dont have any renters they will be glad of someone with dogs to pay their mortgage :lol:
Dont be too smug I personally wouldnt rent my property out to someone like you. ugh

min200
Tourist

Postby min200 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:20 pm

OK then heres a spanner in the works...
We are moving out of our rented property in the UK at the weekend and moving to a nicer rental property in the same town. We have been here for 2 years and when we told the new landlord we had a dog she was unsure and asked if she could speak to our current Landlord ref the dog. We happily supplied his details and he recommended us wholeheartedly complete with dog. He told her that the house we had off of him a week after it was totally refurbished and 2 years on he cannot beleive it is still in the same condition.

So dont write people with dogs off before you have met them. We wouldnt want a dirty smelly house and I can assure you we dont have one. Molly our dog is part of our family and shes a huge boxer/rotty cross!!!!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:29 pm

Personally I would trust a genuine dog owner with a well loved dog over anyone else....

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:36 pm

i know an immaculate lady,always well dressed,dog is very clean too.It wrecked the last apartment she had,doors eaten, scratches etc..walls chewed away..she is a client of mine and i saw for myself the damage it did..
As a dog owner of two non house wreckers myself,i would be very wary who i rented my property out to,unless of course i just presumed it would be wrecked when i returned..
My dogs dont smell to me,but maybe to a non dog owner,my house would smell a little of dogs... :? ??

lucy locket
Resident

Postby lucy locket » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:09 pm

I wouldnt rent an apartment with dogs they would get bored and then probably do some damage.
People without dogs can be very dirty , dont pay rent and do a runner. children can pee on the carpet
draw on walls and lots more.
But as princess peach said you have to expect a bit of work after a tenant has left.
when we were scouring rightmove for a decent rental most of the houses were awful, tiny bathrooms
cheap kitchens, cheap flooring, decor was awful. I wouldnt have even let my dogs live there let alone us.
Most of us have really nice properties here much nicer than a lot of english houses, couldnt cope with just one bathroom as for new homes with their postage stamp gardens I dont know how anyone could live in them.no trees and no room for trees. no you can keep your nasty rentals thanks. If I ever do go back we shall buy and maybe the dog haters will be our neighbours. :twisted:
when you rent here you dont have silly credit checks, a lot of people take dogs. they dont make such a big deal.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:37 am

lucy locket wrote
dont pay rent and do a runner
and also
when you rent here you dont have silly credit checks
Maybe that´s why people "do a runner" :roll:

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:01 am

I love dogs, have always had one or two since childhood. I even quite like cats now, thanks to our feral adoptee.
However, after renting a house out here out here to someone with a dog, I was shocked to see the damage caused and after that, refused dogs unless we could get some guarantees.
Architraves chewed off, doors scratched so badly they had to be replaced, dog hair thick as a carpet in every room ( took 2 days just to get it all out ) black marks on the new walls from coat rubbing against the wall, chewed furniture and so on. We had to do a complete repaint.
My point is, why don't my dogs do things like that ? My house isn't wrecked and I wash their bedding and them regularly so there is no smell, well, none that I can detect. None of our dogs have caused damage such as above because they have been taught not to do so and they have toys to take out their chewing desires on.
The dog had apparently been left locked in bedrooms for a long time, according to neighbours and howled and cried. Pooor thing was understandably bored and upset. I wonder how many times it was taken for a walk with the owner ?
It's not the dog, it's the owner who is to blame. Dog can't pick its own hair up can it ?