syphoning fuel

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
sick and tired
Andalucia.com Amigo

syphoning fuel

Postby sick and tired » Thu May 07, 2009 12:05 pm

has anybody got a clue how to syphon fuel from the hire cars,just had a 5 day trip and was charged 64 euro for a tank of diesel and ended up taking it back 3/4 full as they only do full full on 3 days or less.a pal who lives permanent could use the fuel but we tried a hose pipe and it gets stopped not sure if its a tight bend or some anti theft system but there has to be a way round it as i am so peed off with getting ripped off.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: syphoning fuel

Postby Beachcomber » Thu May 07, 2009 12:15 pm

You really need something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UKayed-Syphon-L ... B001AW3F36

Try Leroy Merlin or a car parts shop.

If you use a hose pipe the end where it comes out must be lower than the end where it goes in.

Alternatively, use Helli Hollis who do not operate this scam.
Let's go Brandon!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu May 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Agree, change companies. I have just come back, and I use a company I have never seen mentioned on here, whatever is in the tank when I pick it up, that's what I take it back as. Their price is good,they never try to sell me extra insurance either, but I buy an annual policy in UK anyway, so they get nothing out of me that way either. The only way to beat these robbing bar stewards, is not to use them. :?
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu May 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Bit of a nightmare now trying to syphon from a modern tank as most have anti syphon measures in place. It's difficult enough on older cars with the smaller U/L filler neck as the bend in pipe to tank after where nozzle sits is at an horrific angle to dissuade syphoning.
There will be a drain plug on the tank a garage would use to do this operation.
I've drained a car via disconnecting fuel feed before it reaches fuel rail but a bit messy with a hire car.

Think the only real answer is to not overfuel to be honest.
DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

sick and tired
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sick and tired » Thu May 07, 2009 2:04 pm

thanks everyone,frank what is the company you use and is it on or off airport.DA have no choice on fueling they charge you for a full tank and deliver the car to you full and you then have to return it as empty as possible

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu May 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Ahh, sorry S&T. That's a bl00dy rip off :evil:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu May 07, 2009 2:46 pm

As I said in my original reply, Helle Hollis. You take the car away full then they refund you to the nearest quarter tank marker when you return it.
Let's go Brandon!

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu May 07, 2009 3:24 pm

We use Helle Hollis every month. They pick you up in arrivals and bring you two minutes to their depot (oppisite San Miguel factory). No delays... no messing around & if you return the car full then they credit your credit card the full amount. I always stop at the petrol station on the A7 just after the cable cars. Fill up with diesel and then its only 4kms to airport. http://www.hellehollis.com

The "cheap" rental companies are like ryanair....... they just put sand in your vaseline :lol: :lol: :lol: . You can deduct around 15% off the helle hollis price if you own a property !

lucy locket
Resident

Postby lucy locket » Thu May 07, 2009 3:46 pm

scotty why dont you use the one in alhaurin el grande up by brit essentials. They are good and dont rip you off. I am sure they do airport pickups.

sick and tired
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sick and tired » Thu May 07, 2009 9:11 pm

have you got a contact for them LL

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:11 pm

We got ripped off by Avis in Australia. The hire car we had broke down and the only way the RAC could get it started was to hot wire it. We did get a new car from them but obviously could not fill the car up (as we had no idea how to hot wire a car) so had to take the car back 1/2 full. Avis charged us $2.50 a litre when the price at the pumps was $1.05 :evil:
I can spell but I can't type

lucy locket
Resident

Postby lucy locket » Thu May 07, 2009 10:37 pm

sick and tired the number is 952 577115 or 639682081

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri May 08, 2009 6:36 pm

A neighbour of ours hired a car with Goldcar at Easter. Drove it to Manilva where the apartment is. It was running rough so the next day they phoned Goldcar. Goldcar said it was too far to come and collect it and they were to bring it back to Malaga. They drove it back to Malaga Airport (running rough) where they were given another car. Then they were charged another tank of petrol in the new car. :shock: I'm afraid I would have been arguing with Goldcar at that point!!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri May 08, 2009 7:04 pm

Although I have been singing the praises of Helle Hollis for their fuel policy I would urge people to beware of this offer:

http://www.hellehollis.com/home_owners_club.asp

an advertisement in a local newspaper for which urges members to advise their friends to use their membership in order to obtain the 15% discount.

Heaven forbid that anyone would have reason to accuse me of being a somewhat cynical example of the human race but I would not discount the possibility that any fines that the 'friend' accumulates during the period of hire will end up on the doorstep of the 'member' (although Helle Hollis strongly denies that this would be the case).
Let's go Brandon!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri May 08, 2009 7:21 pm

Beachcomber wrote:
Heaven forbid that anyone would have reason to accuse me of being a somewhat cynical example of the human race but I would not discount the possibility that any fines that the 'friend' accumulates during the period of hire will end up on the doorstep of the 'member' (although Helle Hollis strongly denies that this would be the case).
:D Someone kindly sent me their membership details to use a few years ago, they reckon that all their friends and family use it. I used it, but no fines, so no problem! :D Funnily enough, I asked HH for a quote earlier this year, and they gave me a price, but added if I used the code again, I could save 15%. They have it all on file, so obviously know who the code belongs to, and who is using it.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri May 08, 2009 8:07 pm

The possibility that they may incur fines is one reason why I never allow friends or family to use any of my vehicles. I certainly am not going to leave myself open by letting them enjoy a 15% discount on car hire through my 'membership' of the Helle Hollis 'club'.

Victor Meldrew??? Yes, and proud of it. Image
Let's go Brandon!

lefo1
Tourist

Postby lefo1 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:45 pm

This is a carhire company that I can wholeheartedly recommend:
http://www.carambacar.com/indexuk.htm

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Fri May 08, 2009 10:47 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Although I have been singing the praises of Helle Hollis for their fuel policy I would urge people to beware of this offer:

http://www.hellehollis.com/home_owners_club.asp

an advertisement in a local newspaper for which urges members to advise their friends to use their membership in order to obtain the 15% discount.

Beachcomber....... You are being a little silly here. By letting a friend use your home owner number your accumulate discount towards your own rentals. Nothing else. Its like a loyalty card. The rental is still in the renters name (your friend). They still have to produce a credit card & driving licence to rent the car.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 08, 2009 11:21 pm

Why would anyone who lives here want to hire a car :?

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Fri May 08, 2009 11:58 pm

I have been a member of the Helle Hollis home owners club for several years. I simply pass on the membership number to friends and family for them to get 15% discount and also get a bonus to use myself. I have never needed to hire a car myself yet, but if I did I would have several free days accumulated. It works fine, and is much easier to suggest your guests should hire a car if you can offer them a discount. Less airport trips to make!! Also there are many 'Home Owners' in Spain who do not actually live here, so they would hire a car several times a year themselves.
HH fuel policy is great and has never been a problem to me.