The cost of car hire!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gruff
Resident

The cost of car hire!!

Postby gruff » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:35 pm

I'm surprised I've not seen a mention of the cost of car hire at the moment (maybe I've missed one).
I've always used Malaga Car Hire mainly because of their prices. I'm coming out to Spain in 2 weeks and my quote for 1 week is £210! I reckon that is not far off double the price last year. All the other companies seem to be the same. Which means this time no car. I'll come over, have a friend collect me and then not go anywhere apart from the local supermarket and bar which are about half a mile away. Unfortunately also half a mile downwards...

Martin

Colinm
Resident

Re: The cost of car hire!!

Postby Colinm » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:06 pm

It will be peak season, so you can expect top prices.
It was mentioned in various places that at Easter the hire companies actually ran out of cars! With all the talk of reduced numbers of tourists it is good business planning from the hire companies to reduce their fleets, however if they do reduce the fleets they will need to get a higher return per vehicle to maintain their margins.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:27 pm

I rent a car for 3 months at a time, (Jan, Feb and Mar). In '08 I paid 1855 Euros. My price for '10 is 1550. So I guess out-of-season prices will not be as high as in the past.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:37 pm

Colin, fair point. I hope they have factored in the likes of me who will pay a higher price but not "any" price. John, I believe the low season prices have either not changed or decreased a little.

Martin

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:02 pm

JAWG wrote:I rent a car for 3 months at a time, (Jan, Feb and Mar). In '08 I paid 1855 Euros. My price for '10 is 1550. So I guess out-of-season prices will not be as high as in the past.
Wow that's a load of dosh !! Don't know where you're based, but I hired a car for a month from these
about 18 months ago for 300 euros, admittedly it was a Opel Corsa, a few years old but with air con so if you're not to worried about your street cred then this would be fine.
http://www.rally-car-van-hire.com/
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Colin, fair point. I hope they have factored in the likes of me who will pay a higher price but not "any" price

they "factored" you into renting one of the cars they don´t have when they reduced their fleet

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:48 pm

Ah Julian, this is getting complicated :roll:

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:55 pm

yes prices have rocketed. Last year, for a "pocket rocket" i was paying about £10 per day. Now its more like £13 per day or more. Hopefully an improving exchange rate will help.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Ashtondav, could you tell me who that is with please?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:10 pm

Honda Jazz £170?
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:20 pm

Malagaman 2005

Other quotes I received
Helle Hollis 1874.70
Bruno's Over 2300

Others so high I didn't even keep their quotes.

Over the years, I have been treated really well by these people (5 rentals) so I prefer to stay with a known quantity. Also, I can contact them again in Sept. and they will try to improve on their quote.
1550 is the maximum that I will pay.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:23 am

John,
Have you factored the homeowner discount in from Helle Hollis ? Also the bonus discount you will get from them next year ? This would reduce your rent by 10% next year. :wink:

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:36 pm

Scotty

1. I am not a homeowner in Spain
2. I am only in Spain every second year.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:39 pm

You can still get the homeowner discount if you "know" :wink: someone that has a homeowner number. So you get the discount & they get a credit based on your rent. Its a WIn Win situation.

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:47 am

I have rented just about every month for the past two years and it has more than doubled. I think nearer treble for the "pocket rocket", was about 10 euros a day now nearer 30euros. Trying to think of ways around it but other than driving one out (I only need a car for about three days at a time), it is a puzzle that I will solve eventually........How much is long term parking in Granada???

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:53 am

Hi wendyakemp,
At Granada airport was recently 4€ a day, at LG just before airport.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 am

Thanks very much, something to think about.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:11 am

scotty wrote:You can still get the homeowner discount if you "know" :wink: someone that has a homeowner number. So you get the discount & they get a credit based on your rent. Its a WIn Win situation.
Agree, I don't see why some are reluctant to let others use their code, it's not costing them anything, and as you say, everyone wins. I have used a code given to me by some kind soul on here, most people that rent out properies give it to their renters, I don't see the problem.
Regards, Frank

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:40 am

I think that code is a bit of a con, I have the card and yes you get discount, but their prices are high in general so it probably only brings it down to a more normal price anyway. The only good deals from Helle Hollis are their last minute ones. You also have to sign up to insurance per day or put down a deposit which you get back as long as the car isn´t damaged.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:49 am

blondie wrote: You also have to sign up to insurance per day or put down a deposit which you get back as long as the car isn´t damaged.
Not sure if you can opt out, but I don't think so. Agree, and the deposit is quite a bit, IIRC. It's one of the reasons I wouldn't use them again, as I always come armed with my own, much cheaper insurance. :D I want good cars, at good prices, no waiting in queues, no fuel scam, no compulsory daily extra insurance, before I even think of using them! They are still about! :D
Regards, Frank