Save our Homes

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Save our Homes

Postby katy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:59 am

Anyone heard of this Association SOHA? (save our homes Axarquia) Spokesman Phillip Smalley.

http://www.diariosur.es/20090910/axarqu ... 90910.html

He is calling for an urgent meeting with the Junta. Says the depression and stress of the prospect of losing their homes is enormous. I can believe that. :(

alisonb
Resident

Re: Save our Homes

Postby alisonb » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:44 pm

They've got a website - www.soha.es which has some info on
AlisonB

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:39 pm

Follow up in today's Diariosur

http://www.diariosur.es/20090921/axarqu ... 90921.html

40+ comments below....not very popular with the spanish are we :shock: Most claim that the Brits knew they were illegal, bought them cheaply and robbed andalucía! One comment:

"First Gibraltar, Rio Tinto and now the Montes de Málaga. We get all the rubbish of Europe and they rob and exploit us"

"The British come here and do just as they please"

Germans are given a bit of flack too. I think I should stop reading what spaniards say, really *beep* me off :twisted:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:55 pm

maybe some of those spanish read this forum and didn´t take too kindly to some of the posts about Spain and the spanish on here !! probably really "beep"ed them off !!

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:07 pm

On the SOHA website there is this latest article mentioned by Katy and also a translation.

On reading the website further a firm of lawyers gave some information about the "4 year rule" to a meeting of members. They stated that the 4 years means that if you have heard nothing in this time then you cannot be fined, but you can be declared illegal.

Any comments?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm

julian wrote:maybe some of those spanish read this forum and didn´t take too kindly to some of the posts about Spain and the spanish on here !! probably really "beep"ed them off !!
They (the spaniards) won't find much on here to take offence with. They are all the salt of the earth, welcoming Brits with open arms (well, bearing fruit and veg :lol: ). How stupid are the Brits to think everyone thinks they are the bees knees :roll:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:25 pm

campo babe wrote:On the SOHA website there is this latest article mentioned by Katy and also a translation.

On reading the website further a firm of lawyers gave some information about the "4 year rule" to a meeting of members. They stated that the 4 years means that if you have heard nothing in this time then you cannot be fined, but you can be declared illegal.

Any comments?
Not sure but I think the 4 year rule has been overuled by the junta :?

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:17 pm

"They (the spaniards) won't find much on here to take offence with"

maybe you should have a trawl through the past posts about the spanish and Spain on this forum and think about whether you would be happy to have foreigners living in your country talking about you and your country the way they have been talked about in this forum.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:31 am

its a free country,i can say what i like,i critisise brits and spanish,just because you live in a different country to where you were born does not mean you have to creep round them and suck up to them

the spanish have been ripping off ex pats for years and if you are to blind to see that then stay in your false utopia.

in the past spanish restaurants have served me rubbish,when questioned,usual shrug

spanish lawyers have ripped me off to the sum of 600 euros

spanish councils have fined me but not my spanish neighbours when we were both doing the same thing to the sum of 60 euros

i recently had my car towed as some spaniard didnt like where it was parked,not illegally,no signs,that cost me 135 euros

i nearly had a fight with a spanish taxi driver in barcelona who wanted to charge me 50e for a 7.50e trip,that was free

i almost lost a business cos of the councils ineptibility to employ the correct people to survey the ground before they started to build a car park,that cost me maybe 150,000 euros gross

i could go on

personally if a spaniard took offence to what i say,i couldnt care less

every morning when i drive to work,4 of them without fail try to crash into my car,a car that was new,now has atleast 120 dents and scratches all caused by spaniards when i park in mercadona car park

if more brits new the truth they wouldnt come here,its been said before,but without the sun fuengirola and the rest of spain would still be full of donkeys

oh and julian,do you think websites about britain dont contain posts that are anti?

without the brits and other northern european countries bunging loads into the economy here over the last 40 years the spanish would have been effed

i would like to point out i do have a few spanish friends,mainly ones that have lived away from spain so they know and understand the difference
jayne countys most famous song,google it

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:06 am

of course you are free to say whatever you like/dislike about the spanish frog,just as the spanish can also freely say whatever they like/dislike about the brits..... read through the whole thread before leaping !!!
you repeatedly tell us what you think of Spain and the spaniards, no one has deleted your posts...freedom of speech for you frog

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:23 am

Froggie....
I believe you....I'm sure that what you write is true...
However you could be commenting on the same situations happening anywhere, that's life....

Everyone seems to take everything personally, local people everywhere will lash out at strangers....we are all tribal...

I've travelled to most countries in the world....and have probably been 'ripped off' in every one of them...
Remember ...times are difficult.. people are more worried about putting food on the plates for their families and keeping a roof over their heads..so of course they will ' lash out' at 'foreigners....

So many Brits are too touchy and often see problems when there isn't any..

Stop 'scowling at everyone...spread a little sunshine...hold out your hand in friendship. :lol:

Must go...someone has just parked in my space.. I'm off to kick his 'ead in.... :wink:

Regards,
Gordon...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:55 am

I was just pointing out what the spanish really think of the british...well Germans as well :lol: Wasn't meant as a criticism I am not really suprised as I already knew, it is human nature! although I knew you would take it as if it were personal. I think the ones on this forum who cannot resist defending the indefensible downside of Spanish life are in the "business".ie. selling/renting property or subsidaries.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:05 am

"I think I should stop reading what spaniards say, really *beep* me off "

sounds to me like you were taking their comments peronally Katy if they really "beeped" you off :lol:

many not everyone sees the things that you personally don´t like as a "downside" ...
there is a phrase that goes something like "one man´s something is another man´s whatever"
I sure someone here will know the correct phrase !! :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:29 am

Yes, the saying was written by an estate Agent :lol:

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:08 am

It’s nonsense to say that’s what the Spanish think of us, it’s what some Spanish think certainly but not all. I think generally speaking people respond in kind, whether your friendly and open or you scowl or look down your nose.
When I was a boy the old woman across the street who rented out rooms had a notice in her window “No Irish no Dog’s” but I don’t remember anyone else being prejudiced , well apart from her family and my grandad who hated everyone.
Soon after we moved here I was waiting to see someone in the town hall when an elderly Spaniard asked me if I was German because he liked Germans but disliked the English. I told him I was English from London he gave me a filthy look and stormed off moaning to himself. The Spanish bloke sitting next to me put his hand on my shoulder smiled and told me the old *beep* was a fascist.

Mhic.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:47 pm

I haven't read the article because i've been moaning about something else in another thread.
I was interested about what frog had to say because a lot of it is true,
First the comments I would dispute There is a lot more to Spain than tourism. you could a argue the fact the tourism is the reason for a lot of their problems caused by too many newly built houses in the costas with too few buyers. however. In this part of Spain the fall in house prices have been minimal and are falls more due to the banks not lending, than too many houses. there are many people who want to buy but can't get a mortgage.And that's with prices being more expensive like for like than in the South
Having said that The same thing that Frog is being accused of could be said about a lot of Spanish, many are intollerant to change, blame outsiders for the economic problems, and refuse to let newcomers into the polical process. many of you who have have read my posts will know that I stick up for the Spanish on many occasions
But we pay taxes too' which gives us a right to have our say which is totally disregarded in many politcal areas. There are many legal documents which in my opinion should be translated into English and other languages for no other reason than the vast amount of foreigners that come here
We are not allowed to work in most jobs in local government or the Spanish civil service, which are Spain's biggest employers.however we can pay towards it.( And even if we were allowed, I suspect that it would be impossible to get a job within it ,Unless you marry the mayor's daughter))
I have been told that if I don't like it why do you live here then? and I always answer because it's my right to do so. through marriage and the fact I'm a British citizen and I haven't come here to bum of the state.
Spain has benifited greatly from being in the EU. Much of the money to rebuild many of the big cities has come from EU grants (even in this point I differ from many because I am in favor of these grants and help to the poorer nations of the EU)
so there you are, I feel more like Alf Garnett than me to today but Everybody has bad days sometimes
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Alf Garnett or Victor Meldrew ? :wink:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:31 pm

julian wrote:Alf Garnett or Victor Meldrew ? :wink:
Yeah more like victor than Alf :lol:

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:18 am

ill just keep quiet,but think mark hit the nail on the head,if you dont like it why do you live here,a complaint dont mean you dont like it there are a few good points about the damn place

anyway i need a rant now and then,been married 20 years today,no gz please dont want to ruin thread
jayne countys most famous song,google it

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:04 am

Frog. The next 20 years are worse but try not to let it sour you.

Mhic.