How do you spend your days?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

How do you spend your days?

Postby IreneD » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:30 pm

If you are over retirement age that is. My OH is worried he'll be bored once we move to Spain - he had a short period of doing nothing much after he retired - he didn't like it - but now works 3 sometimes 4 days a week. I'm not so worried - I work part-time, too, but I am much lazier than him, so I'm looking forward to giving up my job.

Do you work? Or do voluntary work? Or are you the sort of older person we see on our visits who enjoys sitting outside the bars in the sunshine, with a glass at their elbow? That sounds fine to me, but I may well be on my own lol!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: How do you spend your days?

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Good Grief Irene...What a petty posting.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though we don't have a minute since we 'retired', always out and about and really enjoying ourselves, and you don't have to spend a lot of money !
However I can understand how easy it is for some people to fall into the trap of spending their time exercising their elbows in the bars or become closet drinkers...
For anyone who has never had hobbies, there are loads of various classes to join, even if you have to travel a little...

And if you get really bored, my wife and I invite you to visit us at our humble abode for lunch and a guided tour of our area....

Regards,
Gordon...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:55 pm

I am not retired so can't really answer your question but I famously once said to my better half "But what will we do all day" before we moved here.

There is never enough time to do everything we would like. Might be a number of factors - for example living in the deep campo, doing up your own house, learning how things work here and so on.

I have a list of things I would like to be able to do.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Gordon, Image - aaw, bless you - that is so kind of you! That's one day taken care of lol, no actually, we'll come every week! Gordon? Gordon? Image (Don't worry, I'm kidding :lol: )

Olive - that's a thought - there are quite a few things in the house that need doing, I'll make sure I keep him busy with d.i.y. jobs!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:12 pm

I suspect that if you are one of those people that always has to be doing something, where you live doesn't matter too much. Be it in the UK or in Spain, you will always want to be on the go! So, as you say, can you find enough to do here? I suppose the weather in Spain helps to get you outdoors and it helps if there are places to visit, clubs to join, etc. On the other hand if, like me, you are content to sit back and relax, read books, do a spot of gardening (not too much), have a siesta in the Summer and generally wile away time at a very leisurely pace then Spain is as good a place as any to do just that! It doesn't mean you have to sit in a bar drinking, I rarely do so, perhaps because I don't enjoy alcohol during the daytime, Spanish beer aint real beer and I'm not a lover of spirits.

Not sure this helps your husband's worries though!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:24 pm

How petty! ( :wave: )
Someone asked me this before. I found the best way of explaining was as follows:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na8oDCKp6AU
I'll give a fuller answer after you've watched it.
Dave

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Some people seem to spend most of their days replying to posts on A.Com :angel:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:48 pm

gerryh wrote:Some people seem to spend most of their days replying to posts on A.Com :angel:
Cheers
Gerry
Only those with more than 2634 posts. :wave:
Dave

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Come on then mowser tell us more. I've watched the video you must have been really bored one day to come across that one. :lolno: :lolno:
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Bored? With Sparks? I was unaware they had made over 20 albums till a year or so ago. How do I spend my time??? ...... Listening to music in the evenings. I'm re-discovering all the bands I used to enjoy in the 70s, 80,s, 90s and 00s. Some I watch on Youtube and if I like what I see, I'll order the CD from Amazon.
Having listened to Steve Hackett recently, I'm now awaiting another couple of CDs. His new one is now out.

That's the evenings taken care of (apart from doing the Guardian crosswords).
Mornings are usually spent catching up on the news online then a bit of tidying up (Mrs Mowser). Shopping will no doubt follow this unless I'm waiting for the carpenter WHO DOESN'T COME WHEN HE SAYS HE WILL!

Afternoons are spent with a good book. In summer there's always the siesta then before I know it, it's the evening again. I'm rushed off my feet so I am.
Dave

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Glad your keeping busy fella. I have an unwritten rule that the bar never opens in the house till after 7 pm I think it may be too easy for some people to get that they need a drink rather than would like a one. Anybody else out there do the same.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:18 pm

My rubbish dongle connection won't let me view youtube :(

Some interesting thoughts here, glad I asked!

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:27 pm

I spend my days the routine house work, dog walking, doing the rounds of the websites, pool duties and craft work. Cycling for my food shopping or post office for parcel collections and meeting friends for coffee or lunch sometimes and trips to Sevilla.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:36 pm

swerve wrote:Glad your keeping busy fella. I have an unwritten rule that the bar never opens in the house till after 7 pm I think it may be too easy for some people to get that they need a drink rather than would like a one. Anybody else out there do the same.
The bar in casa Mowser opens after 9:00pm and closes around 10:30pm.
Dave

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:42 pm

All I can say is that I certainly wouldn't have time to do a "Job" now...this retirement thing is full time, and then some, there are never enough hours in the day and I (we) are always so relieved when it's bedtime so we can have a rest (the full 8 hours, no problems) . Come on in...the waters fine :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Never been bored in either country except for the odd hour which I welcome. Love pottering in the garden, golf and other sports. Routine is a killer although we always try to relax around 4pm. Never sleep during the day as I wouldn't sleep at night. When all else fails you can always post on here and tell everyone why you don't post :wink:

Things take a little longer to do in Spain which uses up time, shopping too is different and you may have to travel to 4 shops as you can't find everything in one.

I agree with Swerve, strictly watch the alcohol. Have seen a lot go to seed drinking every lunchtime. We did break it twice a week when we lunched at chiringuitos but only shared a bottle of wine, no spirits and as he says keep the evening drink until around 7pm (ish) :)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Proper retirement sounds good to me, I think my OH will be OK, in fact I'm starting to think it will be easier for him in Spain. It will be so different from our normal life, I think he'll actually find it easier to stop working and hop on a plane to begin a new way of life in Spain. Thanks for the warnings about drink - I tend to drink more than is good for me, OH is a lightweight though lol. So it's me who'll have to go steady!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:14 am

I am minded of an old proverb : People who are bored have done nothing to deserve it!

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:34 am

it less work and more relaxing going to work, than staying in the village with the OH and kids!!!

If you live in the campo and get bored by not bothering to visit the local town then spain is not for you.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 am

I'm busy doing nothing,nothing the whole day through.