What to do with my money?!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

What to do with my money?!

Postby hillybilly » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:17 pm

OK - being in the fortunate position of having sold a house I now have a wedge of cash, presently sitting in my Spanish current acct. I need to do something with it! (None of the usual suggestions, please!) Have been given details of my bank's (Banco Popular) savings accts - typically 3-4% interest.
Have looked at ING .es - good introductory rate but then pants after the 1st few months.
Don't want to tie my money up for a long period of time as I don't know what my short term plans are...am already "into" bullion (silver) investing (in a small way)...any other suggestions please? Offshore? UK buy to let property is a possible option but not right now...

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Re: What to do with my money?!

Postby Mowser » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:39 pm

I'll look after it if you wish.
Dave

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:41 pm

If I were an investment exert, I'd be rich, but I'd question whether it is wise to keep a large amount of Euros whilst the currency is slowly sinking.
Perhaps the £ is a safe option at the moment, although interest rates there are low, take into account the approximate 6% fall of the Euro's value (against £) in the last 4 months.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:11 pm

other than the UK buy to let, not sure were else you would get the return your looking for, some excellent bargains at the moment, especially if your happy to buy at auction.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:33 pm

From a purely personal point of view if I had some 'spare' money (one day, one day !!!) I wouldn't leave it in my spanish account knowing the current possibly unstable situation here and the fact that the authorities here are able at a whim to embargo your account not necessarily through any fault of yours but can take a long time to sort out (from personal experience). When, eventually, we sell our house the money will be going to my UK account asap. For all its faults ,the UK banking system, as far as I am concerned, is a much safer bet.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:54 pm

a couple thousand shares in facebook would be a bloody good investment right now if it floats for 100 bn like they say !
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:23 pm

A couple of thousand shares in facebook would probably cost the house proceeds.

Barclays / BT shares look cheap.

anyroads

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:22 pm

LOL thanks for the replies.
Not had a great deal of success with shares in the past :wink:
Don't imagine I'd be able to open any new UK acct, what with being a resident in Spain...
Has anyone stumbled across any accts here in Spain paying OK interest?

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:11 am

Since you still haven't found a spot for it in Spain, send it to me here in Canada and I'll look after it for you!!!!!
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:57 am

JAWG wrote:Since you still haven't found a spot for it in Spain, send it to me here in Canada and I'll look after it for you!!!!!

Hi there, hope you are okay, long time to see :-) Now I hope you are not going to charge 13% tax on their money :lolno: If you need a method of getting it to Canada I was offered a holiday with new friends so maybe we could come to an arrangement lol

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:10 am

hillybilly wrote:LOL thanks for the replies.
Not had a great deal of success with shares in the past :wink:
Don't imagine I'd be able to open any new UK acct, what with being a resident in Spain...
Has anyone stumbled across any accts here in Spain paying OK interest?
Sorry, didn't realise you didn't have a UK account. Do you have anybody in the UK who could open an account with you as a joint account holder, of course that may not even be legal?
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:09 pm

I do already have a couple of UK based accts - Barclays and ING - but the interest rates aren't great and too great a deposit in either would take me over the protected limit under the FSCS scheme...I shall have a poke around tho...

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:17 pm

You should be able to open an offshore account, perhaps, with Barclays Wealth in Guernsey. They have a monthly saver account into which you can pay up to £2,000 per month for twelve months at 5% interest. Unfortunately, you can only have one account running at a time but when one matures you can open another. Details here:

Barclays Monthly Saver

You will need to give your country of residence as Spain and declare the interest on your Spanish annual income tax return as they abolished the facility to opt for withholding tax when it was raised to 35% last July.

Barclays Wealth is considered to be a separate entity from Barclays Bank (Mainland)
Let's go Brandon!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks for that. Have also discovered there are some higher interest ING accts that I could already have transferred my money to! Darn!

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Word of caution - with off shore accounts you don't have the same protection of funds, I think the maximum is about £15,000! We took money out of off shore and invested in UK property, buy to rent.I'm currently getting 8% tax free as the income is less than my personal allowance.
I can spell but I can't type

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:42 pm

It is £50,000 for UK offshore banks.
Let's go Brandon!

scottishtog
Tourist

Postby scottishtog » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:15 am

In my opinion I would go with UK buy to let investment, assuming you have had the property for a few years then you will probably also score with the fact the euro is stronger to the pound than it was 10 years back
www.house-spain.co.uk

timsk
Tourist

Postby timsk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi hillybilly,
Currency isn't my strong point. That said, I know for sure that if I was in your enviable position, I would switch it to GBP£ or USD$ - or some other currency. If Greece defaults on its debts - which is highly probable in my view, the Euro could be in for a rough ride. That could happen sooner rather than later and, if it does, who knows how big the domino effect will be? FWIW, I think it could spell the beginning of the end for the Euro. If it starts to drop in value - what will you do? Will you hold on, praying that the politicians prop it up? And even if they do - who's to say their efforts will work? If they don't and it continues to drop, will you continue to hold? My view is that it would go over the precipice and you'd do well to get your money out now, rather than trying to do it while the euro's waterfalling in value. I must stress this is just my opinion. I know little about currencies or economics - and I could well be wrong. Indeed, for the sake of those people whose livelihoods depend on a strong euro, I hope that I am.
Tim.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Yes I agree. Unless you really need the money in euros. If not I would probably split into $ and £. If there is a bit that you don't mind risking have a go on the stockmarket. Money to be earnt by all this volatility. The facebook shares....have been told to buy and sell quickly, or not buy at all.

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi there, hope you are okay, long time to see Now I hope you are not going to charge 13% tax on their money If you need a method of getting it to Canada I was offered a holiday with new friends so maybe we could come to an arrangement lol
Hi Val

If you are coming to Canada and are going to be anywhere near Ottawa, let me know by PM. I will arrange to show you around.

John
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada