Rats

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Rats

Postby Lyric » Thu May 03, 2012 11:11 am

Is there such a concept as a council pest control department in Spain ? I seek a council ratcatcher on the basis that it would be cheaper than a private contractor.
I am aware of one of those in Nerja that I used for a termite infestation but they were VERY expensive.
As my profile indicates I am in the Campo but only 2km from Torrox Pueblo.
This is a new problem as far as I am aware, I found a pair in the gas bottle stowage just building a nest, caught one and left some poison. There is now no sign of the other and the nest building has not resumed but they seem to have located the drain to our under hallway and terrace depositos (linked) and these are a large area now disused I feel some assistance is in order. I can't just poison as we have animals including a cat that is scared of rats ! Don't ask !

Martin Page
Resident

Re: Rats

Postby Martin Page » Thu May 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Why not just buy a rat trap .. like the 'little nipper' but much bigger ....
Or conversley .. you can buy rat poison at most feriteras if you cant stand handling the beasties

Much much cheaper !

In the country there tend to be less rats than in the cities - you'll be pleased to know !

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu May 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Get a SuperCat Pre-Baited rat trap which is available from most agricultural shops or Amazon
http://www.swissinno.com/en/pest-contro ... ercat.html
Put it somewhere your pets can't get to and empty it every few hours until the infestation has gone.
In the country there tend to be less rats than in the cities - you'll be pleased to know !
Crikey I am glad I don't live in a city then, we dispatch about 20 rats a year and our dogs get about the same number, it's a similar story for all out neighbors.
They have loads of food round here, pecan nuts, oranges, nisperos, plums, etc.
Ann

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu May 03, 2012 3:01 pm

I am going to try those Ann as I think I know where I can get them, they do the mouse ones and I'm pretty sure I've seen the rat size ones.
The mouse ones work like a charm.
My wife has an aversion to killing god's little creatures is the only problem. The one we captured in the bottle stowage was caught by a humane trap, but had died by the time I checked it !

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Thu May 03, 2012 5:45 pm

Breeding for wild rats begin when they are about 3 to 4 months of age with the gestation period lasting for about 21 to 22 days. Within this span the female rat is able to produce up to 7 litters per year with each litter consisting of about 6 to 22 young ones.

Just get rid of them before the problem grows :thumbup:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu May 03, 2012 5:45 pm

Always best to kill them by trap.
Poison them and they go off and die and you only know it when they start to stink under the floorboards or somewhere else equally inconvenient.
With a trap you've got the corpus delicti,if you're sentimental you can always give them a state funeral :)

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Thu May 03, 2012 5:56 pm

if you're sentimental you can always give them a state funeral :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

angelmouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby angelmouse » Sun May 13, 2012 11:21 am

Poison ....lots of delicious poison. We had rats in the garden in the UK during the daytime and were told that if you see a rat during the daytime it means you have a severe infestation. A rat trap won't catch enough. You need the rats to feed, feed and feed more and then the poison will kill much larger numbers than any rat trap will do.
It worked ( the poison that is) just take extreme care if you have dogs/children. Dogs will eat anything, cats would have to see rat poison inside meat to be tricked...and children, well don't put it anywhere near them of course!!