Flies on balcony

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
swerve
Resident

Re: Flies on balcony

Postby swerve » Tue May 08, 2012 6:09 pm

Any tried and tested methods for wasps. We get loads of the little buggers. .
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue May 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Yes swerve, knowing as you'll be more gracious and thankfull than Gavilan.

A one litre plastic bottle, with 1/2" holes drilled all around its centre, then fill with water to just below holes. A small hole in the cap with a piece of wire/coathanger popped through with a peice of Jamon Serano hooked on it. Place about 10 feet from dining table and watch the bug6ers drown :D
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Shrews
Tourist

Postby Shrews » Tue May 08, 2012 6:49 pm

One of the openair bars here fill clear plastic bags with water and hang them from the roof. Worth a try.
Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter don't mind...And those that mind don't matter.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue May 08, 2012 7:02 pm

What has always intrigued me is that all the bars/restaurants that have hams hung up & there are flies there, they never go on the hams ?? Even when we've hung a leg up the flies never go near it ! Same in the neighbours. :think: Maybe the answer is to rub yourself down with the fat off the ham ! :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Shrews wrote:One of the openair bars here fill clear plastic bags with water and hang them from the roof. Worth a try.
Apparently the flies look at their reflection in the bag it it is so horrible that it scares the sh*t out of them and they go away.

The reason DA hasn't mentioned them is that he tried it once and foolishly looked in the bag - he took the next flight back to the UK :lolno:

I also understand that's why he no longer uses a shaving mirror.

No flies on him though!

Sid

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Tue May 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Dear Gavilan

As you are looking for a natural and eco-friendly solution to the fly problem, may I suggest a couple of large and hungry spiders.

Incidentally, someone told me once that flies dislike the smell of paint and turpentine so perhaps you should take up painting.

Mariacristina

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Tue May 08, 2012 11:43 pm

A friendly, hungry gecko will also solve the problem.
Encourage one by providing a little space where it can sleep/mate and a little light to attract the flies at night so it can work effectively.
If you don't want to pay for electricity a little solar lamp from a Chinese shop will do nicely :think:
Ann

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 am

ok I get it now ie I have to be patient and wait for the wild life to move in ... although I am puzzled how geckos (who from my experience hang about on walls and ceilings) will manage to reach flies in the middle of the room ... similarly spiders will have difficulty unless they weave a large web across the whole space ... in which case I don't think I will want to sit there!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed May 09, 2012 8:06 am

swerve wrote:Any tried and tested methods for wasps. We get loads of the little buggers. .
That's why you haven't got any flies !
Todos somos Lorca.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed May 09, 2012 8:08 am

Hi gavilan,

"The builders recently finished joining the two buildings here together to make a delightful, roofed, wooden balcony "

There lies the problem...........flies like to fly round in semi/enclosed spaces with still air.

Had you a vine covering with open sides..........no flies, I've got both so can see the difference . :thumbup:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed May 09, 2012 8:53 am

gavilan wrote:ok I get it now ie I have to be patient and wait for the wild life to move in ... although I am puzzled how geckos (who from my experience hang about on walls and ceilings) will manage to reach flies in the middle of the room ... similarly spiders will have difficulty unless they weave a large web across the whole space ... in which case I don't think I will want to sit there!
I'd hazzard a guess most posters who've tried to help on this thread of yours don't give a toss whether you have to be patient or not. I personally would now like to see a colony of giant blue bottles manifest itself in your knicker draw and upwards of 15 million blow flies descend on to your timber eutopia and reek havoc on your mung bean pudding :mrgreen:

The fan works, the gekko works, although I guess you think flies never sleep, the fly zapper works and best cure of the lot is a humungous can of fly spray from the pound shop :thumbup:

However you do not seem to want to go down any of those avenues............but I do think you are winding us up you little tinker you :think:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed May 09, 2012 8:58 am

Fly papers work and they are brown to match your wood........... :thumbup:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14 am

Dear Gavilan

This morning I have consulted my old favourite "The Fragrant Pharmacy". Though it refers to the use of essential oils I see no reason why fresh herbs cannot be used as long as they are regularly replaced.

The author actually suggests that an aesthetic nicety would be to hang an arrangement of ribbons soaked is the appropriate essential oils above the openings. I hang bunches of fresh herbs in my garage/workshop to deter flies.

Anyway, the nitty-gritty is that the recommended herbs are lavender, mint, thyme and rue. (Rue doesn't have the nicest smell in the world so don't overdo that one, just a little in the mix.) All of these grow wild in the campo. Also recommended is cinnamon. You could make a nice pot-pourri with all the above, eco-friendly, attractive and , hopefully, effective. Also recommended is Lemongrass which you can grow from seed or buy at a nursery. Its a nice plant but mine didn't survive the cold spell in the winter. I have just sown some more seeds.

Finally there is the tried and tested Citronella. Easily available as candles or as oil for an oil-burner.

Mariacristina

PS. As you don't sound keen on spiders and don't think that geckos will do the job (my garden has been declared a protected space for geckos, have you thought about constructing a small belfry on top of the terrace ?. . . . .you can work the rest of that one out for yourself.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed May 09, 2012 10:53 am

Mariacristina ... many thanks for your helpful suggestions ... I am a bit cautious about saying any more as I seem to offend/upset/irritate A.com members ... so maybe 'silence is golden'

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Wed May 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Dear Gavilan

Snap.

Mariacristina

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed May 09, 2012 3:35 pm

gavilan wrote:Mariacristina ... many thanks for your helpful suggestions ... I am a bit cautious about saying any more as I seem to offend/upset/irritate A.com members ... so maybe 'silence is golden'
That's par for the course, feeling sorry for yourself and having another swipe at posters from that moral high ground of yours.

Most A.com members aren't easily upset and most offer their advice with all the best intentions, as per this thread. However what is the point when they get responses like you have given to people trying to answer your question?

In the cold light of day your posting was ridiculous anyway, asking people how to get rid of flies.........in Spain for gods sake.

Look at your arrogant replies and you may just see why people may get irrate, although somehow Gavilan I doubt it.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed May 09, 2012 3:45 pm

The Forum getting tetchy again? Is julian back under the guise of Devils Advocate? :shock:

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Wed May 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Look at your arrogant replies and you may just see why people may get irrate, although somehow Gavilan I doubt it.
Is it just me?
I can't see anything in Gavilan's replies to justify that outburst :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Ann

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Ditto.. :o

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed May 09, 2012 3:53 pm

annfoto wrote:
Is it just me?
No, masterob also seems to think all was fine with her responses too...........maybe it's just me then!