Selling up ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Selling up ?

Postby anyroads » Sun May 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Interesting article in today's Sunday Telegraph,

"Recent research from HIFX found that 34pc of Britons with a property in Spain (where house prices have fallen by 25pc since their peak in 2007 ) are trying to sell"

end of quote.

Seems a bit high to me !

anyroads

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Selling up ?

Postby katy » Sun May 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Haven't read the article yet but I could easily believe it although I don't know their research methods. Incuding people I know and friends of friends which is around 50 people plus others at the golf club I would say around 80% are trying to sell. I know this is now way reliable but it makes one think.

Last year someone put on a link to a property agent in Olvera and it seemed as if the whole place was on sale :shock: Just looked at an agents website dealing mainly with British. If you hover the mouse over areas the figure of properties for sale comes up. Looked at the areas I know well.

Mijas 2212
Marbella east 1499
marbella west 1273

All are fairly smallish areas but mainly ex-pat areas. Yet marbella centre which doesn't have many ex-pat owners has only 432 on sale although it is a dense area.

http://www.vivaestates.com/buying/?search_by_area

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun May 20, 2012 4:56 pm

Not so many estate agents around nowadays.

In an idle moment I did a search on one I used to look at maybe once a quarter. Ceased trading! Our local Remax has closed too. Lack of buyers probably rather than lack of houses for sale :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun May 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Not the Sun on Sunday then katy ?

anyroads

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:45 pm

anyroads wrote:Interesting article in today's Sunday Telegraph,

"Recent research from HIFX found that 34pc of Britons with a property in Spain (where house prices have fallen by 25pc since their peak in 2007 ) are trying to sell"

end of quote.

Seems a bit high to me !

anyroads
Seems a bit low to me. If you were to include people such as myself who are in the process of/about to put on the market I think it will be considerably higher. I'm very reticent due to the amount of money I could potentially lose, but personally I can't wait to go !!
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Mon May 21, 2012 1:22 pm

I am wondering if on the basis of this the "living the idyllic life in the sun" is a complete non runner for most people.
For myself i probably would be unlikely to get my money back but it is still working out ok thankfully.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon May 21, 2012 2:01 pm

When I hear these "reports" of people desperate to sell and can't wait to go back to the UK etc. I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with my wife and I.
We actually enjoy living here and have no desire to leave.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Mon May 21, 2012 2:24 pm

No Gerry, you are not alone........I have no wish to ever return to the UK, even in an urn....... and most I know feel the same. Perhaps we came here in the first place for all the right reasons!
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon May 21, 2012 3:34 pm

gerryh wrote:When I hear these "reports" of people desperate to sell and can't wait to go back to the UK etc. I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with my wife and I.
We actually enjoy living here and have no desire to leave.
Cheers
Gerry
detourer wrote:No Gerry, you are not alone........I have no wish to ever return to the UK, even in an urn....... and most I know feel the same. Perhaps we came here in the first place for all the right reasons!
I very much agree, with the whole of Europe in a similar situation, if I am going to be in the "miedra" I may as be where the sun shines.
Detourer is right, those who didn't come for the right reasons or underfunded are feeling the pressure to return, but to what ??
Hardworking resident !!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon May 21, 2012 4:12 pm

There is nothing wrong with you Gerry. You are enjoying it but people seem to get home sick after about 6 or 7 years and then all they see is the bad bits about Spain. I got fined for not wearing a seat belt and accepted it but a friend of mine got fined for not stopping at a stop sign and thinks the police were wrong. He is heading home and has gone from loving it here to hating it in 12 months. Previous 7 years were bliss.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Mon May 21, 2012 5:59 pm

With you Gerry. Utopia is a myth, not to be found on this planet, no point wasting time looking for it.
Parilla

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon May 21, 2012 7:05 pm

We had some lovely years in Spain but it changed so much when the boom started. If it were like it was in the 90's I would go back in a heartbeat. I doubt if iwould ever return even though we could buy similar to what we sold for 250,000 less, never say never though. There are a lot of things I miss but I am happy to have gotten out :D

It is hard to get a clear picture of how many are leaving because some people carry on saying how wonderful the place is when it's common knowledge they have their place on sale :lol:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon May 21, 2012 7:24 pm

I'd sell up, but only to move somewhere down the coast. We've had this house since 1989 so it would be a wrench leaving friends behind.
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon May 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Not everyone is cut out for living abroad.The high amount going back really only reflects the high amount who came in the first place. I'm with Gerry, I like it here and don't want to go back.When I go back to London and meet up with friends, I do get a little home sick when I come back here but once I'm back into the rhythm of things again,everything's fine again.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon May 21, 2012 9:51 pm

There is nothing wrong in believing that life in Spain is the best thing since sliced bread. Neither is there anything wrong in deciding to move on, be it back to the UK or elsewhere. Each to their own. After 8 years here we are ready to move on, as it happens back to family and friends in the UK. Nothing strongly against Spain but nothing compelling us to stay for ever. Just one major snag - selling the house :(

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue May 22, 2012 7:28 am

masterob wrote:There is nothing wrong in believing that life in Spain is the best thing since sliced bread. (
I don't believe it either. Spain is not perfect but I still enjoy living here.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:22 pm

We sold up and moved back just over a year ago. Our reasons were it was just time to move on, we'd done what we wanted where we lived and fancied a new challenge. One thing though, we weren't expecting to sell our house as quickly as we did - we found a buyer within 2 weeks! It just took him (and the notary) another 4 months to get their acts together! What we were expecting was 6 month plus to get a buyer. Pricing the house realistically and NOT using a British (or Spanish) estate agent, but a correador also helped. I was actually quite sad to go!
I can spell but I can't type

Stoker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Stoker » Tue May 22, 2012 1:55 pm

What's a correador? Can't find any translation for the term and Google doesn't turn up anything useful.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue May 22, 2012 2:18 pm

A correador is usually a local who has their 'ear to the ground' with regards to the buying and selling of property locally. For a small fee of course! Not an established estate agent as such.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Our correador charged us and the buyer 1% each - bargain.
I can spell but I can't type