Wine

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Wine

Postby Lyric » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:27 pm

For my sins was in Mucky Donna's this morn and perceived a marked increase in the price of this vital foodstuff.
Is this a Government plot to unsettle the populace or is it Mucky wanting more of my money ?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Wine

Postby katy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Seeing as prices haven't increased for about 7 years you can't grumble :lol: :lol:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:41 pm

I don't see much of a grumble more curiosity, You will be aware when one is grumbling !

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:57 pm

Lyric wrote:For my sins was in Mucky Donna's this morn and perceived a marked increase in the price of this vital foodstuff.
Is this a Government plot to unsettle the populace or is it Mucky wanting more of my money ?
What, all of it, every bottle? We bought 3 (2 of one type, 1 of another) this morning and none had changed in price. In the past we've seen a bottle increase by 15c or so one week and then go back down again a week or so later. Although the one I like best went up by a whopping 10c a couple of months ago and has remained there - how will I ever cope, might have to sell up and go back to the UK. Not. :lolno:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:40 pm

That is one area the Spanish government may hit. Tax on booze is far too low for the state the country is in. Ciggies too I expect, although I am not a smoker.

I was telling the governor of my local pub last night, that I had got twenty quid back from £1500 on renewing my football season ticket for next season. His reply was "you could get a lot of pints for that", and I said , "not in here you could'nt".

Tax on ciggies and booze has to go up in Spain.

anyroads

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:54 pm

anyroads wrote:That is one area the Spanish government may hit. Tax on booze is far too low for the state the country is in. Ciggies too I expect, although I am not a smoker.

I was telling the governor of my local pub last night, that I had got twenty quid back from £1500 on renewing my football season ticket for next season. His reply was "you could get a lot of pints for that", and I said , "not in here you could'nt".

anyroads
According to those I know who are smokers, cigarettes and tobacco have already gone up in price quite a lot in the last couple of years, although I couldn't tell you what they cost now. Even if tax on booze does go up a lot, I think I'll be able to absorb the increase on my 3 bottles of wine a week, on average! The OH might be in trouble, though.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:57 pm

I don't smoke, but I do know that ciggies are rising fast and have been doing for a while, my friends who smoke are always commenting on it, and I think booze in bars isn't cheap, well not when your out of the tourist areas, average 1.80 for a tubo en our neck of the woods :(
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:38 pm

anyroads wrote:That is one area the Spanish government may hit. Tax on booze is far too low for the state the country is in. Ciggies too I expect, although I am not a smoker.

anyroads
I favour an austerity tax on season tickets. Wish I had £1500 to spend on tickets. :lol: :lol:

The wine I drink has gone up 18% in Mercadona but it is still possible to buy it in Coviran where it has only gone up 10%. Not bad for "prices haven't gone up".

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Lyric wrote:For my sins was in Mucky Donna's this morn and perceived a marked increase in the price of this vital foodstuff.
As soon as the wine I buy goes above €1 a bottle I shall have to seriously consider going back to the UK. :wave:
Cheers
Hic!
Gerry
Gerry Harris

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:05 pm

I thought there was no tax on Spanish wine sold here. Is that not so?

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:14 pm

gerryh wrote:[
As soon as the wine I buy goes above €1 a bottle I shall have to seriously consider going back to the UK. :wave:
Cheers
Hic!
Gerry
Start packing your bags. :crazy:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:49 am

masterob wrote:I thought there was no tax on Spanish wine sold here. Is that not so?
There is no excise duty on any wine sold in Spain. They would not be allowed to discriminate against other non Spanish wines.

There is IVA at the full 18% rate.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 am

In my convoluted way that is really what I was asking originally.
So it is a Mucky price increase.
As 'Free at Last' has pointed out this has happened before and the price goes up as well as down.

lojaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lojaman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:05 pm

I agree with Katy.We have been here 8 years and the price has hardly gone up more than a few cents.At our local bar I am still paying 1 euro for a glass of reasonable house wine.When we went back to the UK last year I was charged 3.95 GBP for the saME SIZE GLASS.

lojaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lojaman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Sorry finger trouble.
I meant same size glass!!!!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Maybe the reason that there is around 34% unemployment in andalucía is because they haven't put up their prices :roll: IVA went up 2 years or so ago, distribution costs, world coffee, sugar prices etc. Presumably staff costs must have risen. So...how do they maintain the prices :think: less staff, bars or branches closing down.

Have to say all this nonsense about prices being static for 7 years on here goes against official statistics, my knowledge and the opinion of all my friends and relatives scattered around the CDS, Ronda, Cádiz and Madrid. The house Rioja at our local chiringuito rose from 7 euro in 2005 to 12 euro in 2009, one eg. of many. :mrgreen:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:15 pm

lojaman wrote:I agree with Katy.We have been here 8 years and the price has hardly gone up more than a few cents.At our local bar I am still paying 1 euro for a glass of reasonable house wine.When we went back to the UK last year I was charged 3.95 GBP for the saME SIZE GLASS.
I think you'll find Katy's comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek, lojaman. There appear to be opposing views amongst forum members, those of us including you and I who have not experienced a huge increase in the price of wine (nor in my case foodstuffs) over the last few years, and those who have.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:00 pm

We buy most of our "cheap" wine in Lidl. Over the last few years the choice and quality has got better and better and the prices are now lower than they were. I would say that 90% of our friends favour Lidl as their wine supplier.

Perhaps it's because they have 7000 outlets and their overall buying power is such that they can continue to reduce prices.

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:03 pm

I've just read about an ALDI wine that has won an award. It beat some of the competition wines that cost 10 times the price. In addition
In total Aldi took home an ‘unprecedented’ 18 medals in the competition including a 2010 Shiraz for £3.49, a Cava Brut for £4.48 and a £6.99 Prosecco.
(UK prices. They are cheaper here)
Dave

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:22 pm

There are four Riojas I have been buying regularly for at the past five years at Eroski priced at between €5.50 and €7 and I have not noticed a price hike in all that time. Tried the cheap stuff from Lidle once or twice years ago,had the trots for days.

Mhic.