UK Winter Fuel Payment

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK Winter Fuel Payment

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:08 pm

The overseas department for winter fuel payments is in Nottingham, so not an 0191 number.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:09 pm

And great-grandson.

Obviously celebrating the occasion!

Good luck Peter!

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:11 pm

El Cid wrote: Good luck Peter!
Sid
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 pm

peteroldracer wrote:The overseas department for winter fuel payments is in Nottingham, so not an 0191 number.
Gerry is correct. From the Winter Fuel Team confirmation letter in front of me - Our phone number: 0191 218 7777
Brian.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:15 am

peteroldracer wrote:The overseas department for winter fuel payments is in Nottingham, so not an 0191 number.
Not according to the DWP.
I sent my form to Gateshead not Nottingham.
See https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/how-to-claim

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:52 am

Herself has the last email from them with her, but I am sure that although we too sent the form to Newcastle/Gateshead, my 'chase-up' email was replied to quoting an office in Nottingham, with an 0845 number (they would say nothing in the email about the claim, stating that they could not send confidential information by electronic mail, so insist on queries in writing or by telephone).

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:56 am

peteroldracer wrote:.. my 'chase-up' email was replied to quoting an office in Nottingham, with an 0845 number ..
That is because the email system is set up for UK resident enquiries.
Have a look at the link I posted.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:03 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Before I give up my patient stance and ring the good folk responsible for paying this out, is anyone still waiting (like us) for anything from them?
We applied last November and as I know there have been problems, I have resisted causing more delays by interrupting their real work to answer the phone - but we have not had an acknowledgement let alone any dosh!
Peter, don't forget to point out to DWP that the delay has cost you around 20€ with the exchange rate :lol: :lol:

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Remember they also advise " Never write on an e-mail anything that you wouldn't put on a postcard ."
Todos somos Lorca.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:59 am

I would be very happy to receive a postcard saying "your application has been received and is being processed". :roll:

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:47 am

When I sent my application with Birth Certificate the only acknowledgement I recieved was a little slip when they returned the Birth certificate that was returned within about 3 weeks and the money was in my account about 2 months later.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Now that the a new £9 billion a year "black hole" has been found in funding Public Sector pensions
("Telegraph" today), there will be even more pressure to cut back on universal benefits.

Enjoy it whilst it lasts folks, and keep buying the Cava !

anyroads

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:34 pm

quebin wrote:When I sent my application with Birth Certificate the only acknowledgement I recieved was a little slip when they returned the Birth certificate that was returned within about 3 weeks and the money was in my account about 2 months later.
Why on earth do they need your birth certificate? We spend a lifetime paying tax and have a national insurance number. Isn't the system joined up enough..............

I am now of an age where I expect to receive nothing. Pension age will keep on going up just out of reach, winter fuel allowance will be scrapped, the government will take my premium bonds to repay the national debt off me if the Spanish government haven't fined me already. :lol: :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Latest news.....OH has spoken with them today, they confirmed that they have the application and are working on the backlog (he also said the would try and nudge things along for us). He also said that regarding back-payments "these are being looked into".
Breathe out now they have the form, but not holding breath re back-pay! 8)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:22 pm

My winter fuel allowance payment arrived today in my bank here in Spain.
I applied for it in December, never got a confirmation letter.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Applied November, sneaked into our account unannounced on Wednesday 13th - not so unlucky!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Even though I received my first payment on 15th Feb, I received the confirmation letter, dated 9th Feb, today. :crazy:
Anyway, it said that the Payment is not subject to UK In come tax but is it subject to Spanish Income tax as I pay all my taxes here in Spain?
Cheers
Gerry
Last edited by gerryh on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Yes it is. It's the same with ISAs. Just because they are free of UK tax doesn't make them free of Spanish tax.

It does work the other way. UK annuities are almost tax free in Spain but not in the UK.

Sid

Spud
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spud » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:42 pm

I sent my form and birth certificate soon after the EU directive came out. I received by Berth cert. back saying my claim was being processed and then nothing. Chased them up on the internet and this week received a letter saying I had no genuine connection to the UK and would not be getting the WFA. I was livid, my family goes back centuries and I have a brother and sister still living in the UK. My grandmothr had 13 children so I have lots of Aunts, Uncles and cousins and my children were born in Britain and still live and work there. My grandfathr died in WW1 and my father fought in WW11. The letter stated I had one month to appeal from date of letter, it was dated 12th Feb, I had 3 days to reply. I am so angry about this I sent a recorded letter telling them just what I thought of their department.They will probably never reply. Perhaps I should change my name to Mohamid our Hussain, they´d listen then. Now we have this Cyprus problem looming, how are people on state pensions expected to live.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Spud wrote:I sent my form and birth certificate soon after the EU directive came out. I received by Berth cert. back saying my claim was being processed and then nothing. Chased them up on the internet and this week received a letter saying I had no genuine connection to the UK and would not be getting the WFA. I was livid, my family goes back centuries and I have a brother and sister still living in the UK. My grandmothr had 13 children so I have lots of Aunts, Uncles and cousins and my children were born in Britain and still live and work there. My grandfathr died in WW1 and my father fought in WW11. The letter stated I had one month to appeal from date of letter, it was dated 12th Feb, I had 3 days to reply. I am so angry about this I sent a recorded letter telling them just what I thought of their department.They will probably never reply. Perhaps I should change my name to Mohamid our Hussain, they´d listen then. Now we have this Cyprus problem looming, how are people on state pensions expected to live.
How many years contributions did you have whilst living in the UK?
A friend who has lived in the Nederlands for the last 30 years,he's 64 years old,applied after I told him of the new ruling and has received the payment.