Price of logs

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Price of logs

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 pm

How much do you pay for good dried cut to size mixed logs where you are?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Price of logs

Postby Trooperman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:41 pm

It's difficult around here in la-la land to get any sort of price based on anything other than the size of a trailer or how high that trailer's loaded or how charitable Juan is feeling or whether you are "enchufe" or not. But when I go down to Jimena de la Frontera there seems to be some standard and I think (if my memory serves me well enough) it's about 10 Euros for 100Kgs.

Does anyone else use those log merchants in Jimena to help my memory?
nil illegitimum carborundum

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:44 pm

We bought some earlier this year from a guy who sells in the Antequera area - not exactly cut to size (our estufa is quite small), but would probably fit most fires, particularly open ones. Still a bit 'green'. which is why we got them early, so they have a good chance of drying out. A trailer load (a cubic metre ?) costs 100 €
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Our man sells them by variety: Grey Gum being the cheapest at €50 per cube Mtr; then €60 for Almond and Olive. Delivered and stacked in our Loggery! No complaints, (a trailer load from him is two cubic metros.)

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:59 pm

...on that basis, I suspect our trailer load will be the same !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Our trailer load (we think it was 3 cubic metres, it was a big trailer) was 120€ the same price for 2 years. The wood lasted us 1 winter and a couple of weeks or more into the next winter. We bought a load last Nov/December (or around then) and we still have over half of it left, that was with the really cold snap too. I don´t like to be cold, so I am generous with the wood!
I think our man comes from Arahal, we just ring him us and he comes the next day. He cuts the wood small for our fire, our neighbour has an open fire, he leaves the logs bigger for him. If, as he unloads he finds a big log, he chops it for us if we think it won´t fit the fire.
I have seen ´bags´of olive wood, the type you can get sand delivered in, at Mollina market (A Brit selling it) for 90€

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:27 pm

We get through 3 tones of olive wood most winters :wtf:
It costs €360 and is probably about 6 cubic metres delivered.
Been the same price for years, tried another source one year, slightly cheaper but his truck was too big for our entrance so too much wheel barowing for us and not worth the saving.
Ann

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:47 pm

The only time we ever used olive was in a rental property before we bought here.

The smell was awful, the smoke and the tar dripping was also awful.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Bongtrees wrote:The only time we ever used olive was in a rental property before we bought here.
Properly seasoned olive wood burns cleanly and gives of a great deal of heat.
All varieties of unseasoned wood gives of lots of smoke and leaves a lot of tar stuck to the chimney
Ann

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:43 pm

i wonder how long is a piece of string

sorry could'nt resist

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Bongtrees wrote:The only time we ever used olive was in a rental property before we bought here.

Sounds more like pine to me.

Olive is a great wood if your stove can cope with it. It burns for ages. Our stove only likes small pieces so we tend to get a load of mixed wood.

We pay €70 for a cubic metre.

Sid

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:48 am

We pay around 520€ for 8 tonnes of seasoned olive. Delivered from Quesada, Jaen. Cheaper than anything around here which used to average 130-160€ tonne & that was some years ago !
Todos somos Lorca.

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:58 am

We use Leñas El Lolo who delivers i think 8 tonnes for €550.

Gus Lopez, can you give me the number of your guy?

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 am

The price of logs....

Was there not a song about that ?

anyroads

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:50 am

We installed aircon last winter - far cheaper to run for heating than the logs we burnt in our twin-turbo fire the previous year, plus no lugging heavy logs around, baskets of wood in the corner with attendant wildlife, running out into the cold/wet to get further supplies, cleaning out the ash can, cleaning the glass, cleaning up the fine layer of soot that covered everything - and all at the touch of a remote control! 8)
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:52 am

peteroldracer wrote:We installed aircon last winter - far cheaper to run for heating than the logs we burnt in our twin-turbo fire the previous year, plus no lugging heavy logs around, baskets of wood in the corner with attendant wildlife, running out into the cold/wet to get further supplies, cleaning out the ash can, cleaning the glass, cleaning up the fine layer of soot that covered everything - and all at the touch of a remote control! 8)
Yes i do admit it is not fun running out in the rain / howling bitter wind in the dark to get more wood!!!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:54 pm

starynightsky wrote:We use Leñas El Lolo who delivers i think 8 tonnes for €550.

Gus Lopez, can you give me the number of your guy?
That's him! I done a deal back in the winter to have them at the same price as before. It is 550 now.
You should get them cheaper as you must be closer than we are. I don't know how he does it for the price considering the distance he is bringing them. He told me that it takes him nigh on 3 hours . :shock:
Todos somos Lorca.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:34 pm

12 centimos a kilo of cut, split, seasoned, dry (and therefore lighter than wet) oak.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:46 pm

peteroldracer wrote:We installed aircon last winter - far cheaper to run for heating than the logs we burnt in our twin-turbo fire the previous year, plus no lugging heavy logs around, baskets of wood in the corner with attendant wildlife, running out into the cold/wet to get further supplies, cleaning out the ash can, cleaning the glass, cleaning up the fine layer of soot that covered everything - and all at the touch of a remote control! 8)
Ah but nowhere near as romantic :wink:
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Which bit of the lugging around and cleaning did you find romantic? Unless of course the good lady wears a tiny pinny and little else whilst the man sits there slobbering!
Edit: or vice versa! :wink:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.