Stain removal sheets and towels...help

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Stain removal sheets and towels...help

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:52 am

Lovely white towels and sheets have been left at our holiday rental covered in stains, either sun tan lotion or more than likely fake tan.

Vanish doesnt work.

Looked online and suggests washing soda crystals but dont know spanish for this can anyone help.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Stain removal sheets and towels...help

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 am

You don't need Spanish (assuming the renters were English?), just English to say that xxx€ has been deducted from their deposit/bond to pay for the damage replacement?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:13 am

My friend had rain come in through the roof onto their bed and it left the bedding mouldy, I tried all sorts to clean it off (they didn´t have a washing machine at the time) in the end I thought nothing to lose and used bleach- the stains came out. If nothing else works it is worth a try.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 am

peteroldracer wrote:You don't need Spanish (assuming the renters were English?), just English to say that xxx€ has been deducted from their deposit/bond to pay for the damage replacement?

Hopefully will find a way to remove stains as deposit would not cover replacement :(
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:16 am

oliveview01 wrote:My friend had rain come in through the roof onto their bed and it left the bedding mouldy, I tried all sorts to clean it off (they didn´t have a washing machine at the time) in the end I thought nothing to lose and used bleach- the stains came out. If nothing else works it is worth a try.

Thanks I had thought about bleach but heard that it too can leave yellow stains and/or rot fabric.

What dilution did you use?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:20 am

Bongtrees wrote:Hopefully will find a way to remove stains as deposit would not cover replacement :(
With respect, then you need to take a bigger deposit, or have a credit card number with their signed authorisation that you may charge for damage?

I would want at least 500€ bond becuase people often take no care of others' property! At least you can deduct the costs of replacement from your tax bill as legitimate expenses.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:31 am

peteroldracer wrote:
Bongtrees wrote:Hopefully will find a way to remove stains as deposit would not cover replacement :(
With respect, then you need to take a bigger deposit, or have a credit card number with their signed authorisation that you may charge for damage?

I would want at least 500€ bond becuase people often take no care of others' property! At least you can deduct the costs of replacement from your tax bill as legitimate expenses.

Dont have facilities to take credit cards but yes I was thinking a bigger bond would be necessary for next year as this year was only €300.

I bluddy hope replacements are tax deductible because if not I am buying black sheets and towels.

Weve rented villas in many countries over the years and never disrespected others property and there must be others like us?

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:35 am

I asked my wife and she simply said "Bleach". She uses Bosque Verde Maxima Blancura from Mercadona with every whites wash, or Lejia Normal if she can't get Maxima. Our whites are WHITE.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:39 am

We don't rent. but have been amazed at the lack of respect shown, even by fairly close family members - bathroom towels taken (unasked) to the beach, lights left on, hair straighteners left plugged in, feet up on the beds with dirty shoes on. and never ever has anyone cleaned their bathroom during a stay of a week or more - does make us wonder how some folk live! :roll:

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:48 am

peteroldracer wrote:We don't rent. but have been amazed at the lack of respect shown, even by fairly close family members - bathroom towels taken (unasked) to the beach, lights left on, hair straighteners left plugged in, feet up on the beds with dirty shoes on. and never ever has anyone cleaned their bathroom during a stay of a week or more - does make us wonder how some folk live! :roll:

Perhaps you should start taking a bond as well :)

Having watched some house selling programmes and looked on Rightmove I think a lot live like pigs.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Bleach won't remove suncream stains. Vikal will. Probably a cheaper antical will work, but I've only tried Vikal.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:39 pm

We used to have coloured towels when we had a rental property that are slightly more forgiving against stains, although you cannot then bleach them if they are really bad.
peteroldracer wrote:We don't rent. but have been amazed at the lack of respect shown, even by fairly close family members - bathroom towels taken (unasked) to the beach, lights left on, hair straighteners left plugged in, feet up on the beds with dirty shoes on. and never ever has anyone cleaned their bathroom during a stay of a week or more - does make us wonder how some folk live! :roll:
Too right ... and the state some people leave the toilet in :sick: ... do they have no shame!! I can only think that some renters think that they've paid their rent and there is no way they are cleaning up spills, sweeping up rubbish on the floor or wielding a toilet brush!

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Sorry, should have said. I apply the Vikal neat (a bit scarey as it's bright blue) leave for an hour or so, then wash as normal.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:52 pm

They have washing soda in the swimming pool chemical section of mercadona. It's also called Sodium Carbonate (Carbonato de Sodio). Also, try lemon juice on the stain and putting it to dry in direct sunlight. if you can't get the stains out, make a large bucket of tea and dye the towels a cream/beige colour :D

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:29 pm

Hanging them on the line in hot sunshine for a couple of days is definitely worth a try. I splashed curry on a white top. Tumeric is dreadful for staining. Soaked it for 24hrs in vanish and still there. left it on the line for a couple of days and the stain vanished.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Sunshine, lemon juice and chlorine bleach doesn't work on sunscreen stains. The chlorine bleach could make it worse. Other things that don't work include vinegar, Vanish, Oxyclean and ammonia. I know this because I've tried them all.

There is a chemical in the sunscreen that reacts with hard water causing the stain.

Sodium Carbonate may well work as it acts as a water softener, Vikal which is a calcium remover works and rust removers should also work.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:38 am

Viakal is a calcium remover and is well known for removing these yellow stains which usually only appear after the was.
I suspect you could try any de calcifying spray. I have used ammonia in the past. Bleach is no use.
I also find, don't give up on the towel /item - it does eventually come out after a few more washes.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:36 am

If your linen/towels are 50%cotton with 50%polyester they will turn cream coloured after bleaching.
100%cotton will turn out white.

My wife usually puts stained linen/towels in the washing machine with a scoop of Oxi powder and some bleach, fills with water and leaves to soak overnight.

Terry

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:57 am

Terry - you are a true modern man! I bet you know the price of a litre of milk, too! :wink: :clap:

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:03 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Terry - you are a true modern man! I bet you know the price of a litre of milk, too! :wink: :clap:
Mower by another name. Maybe not the washing bit but definitely the price of milk.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!