English suppermarket Coin

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

English suppermarket Coin

Postby aquaman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:54 am

Is there an English suppermarket in Coin, if so rough directions please. Thanks

bigal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: English suppermarket Coin

Postby bigal » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:23 am

There's a very small one close to the Horse roundabout. At least, it was still there a couple of weeks ago but they seem to disappear fairly rapidly.

Alan
Alan - aka the anorexic grasshopper

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:10 pm

I know it's not Coín but there is also one in Alhaurín el Grande just down the road from Mercadona opposite Unicaja.
Let's go Brandon!

aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aquaman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:47 pm

OK thanks will have a look.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:03 am

in coin, in el rodeo there is one. im not sure what you know in coin so its hard to direct you..

coming from la troucha, head into coin and at the first roundabout there is the chinese resturant on your right, head off to the slip road that you´ll see infront and to the right. this is a service road and it goes down past the little super market, its about 150 yards down on the roght hand side there.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:10 pm

SL you can't go down that slip road now! All one way. You have to turn at the next opening and come back.
The supermarket is called Buyrite and although not enormous is worth a visit. They have English bread and a very good selection of meat and veg. I found the one in Alhaurin to be very expensive.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:27 am

its one way the other way ? that doesnt make sense, its on the wrong side of the road :O
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:07 am

You should try their home made frozen sausages - wonderful. Made up for him by a friend butcher. He sells many of these and the bacon is also excellent, not watery when cooked. There are 6 different varieties. The plain pork would make superb chipolatas for a xmas turkey but there are larger ones - my favourite the pork and leek.
Sl, they changed the one way entrance exits to the by passes a short while ago. Where before you could enter by the indian restaurant roundabout you cannot anymore but hve to go much further down and re - enter - we always miss it - annoying.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:00 am

Am I missing something here !.

Why would anyone want /need an English supermarket in Spain ?

anyroads

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:39 am

..for the same reasons Indian expats living in their adopted UK host country have Indian food shops...or Italians, Chinese etc.,living in UK :lol: Please don't tell me there isn't a branch of a foreign food shop somewhere near you , Anyroads ?

...for the same reasons I have sought food from my country of birth for the past 30 years, no matter whether living in South America. Asia or Europe. British food is unique despite what others my say about it. One doesn't lose the taste of nurture and why should we, after all , we are not exiles, merely expats on a long vacation :lol: :lol:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:49 am

No way could I go without my morning cup of tea- if they banned teabags here I would have to return to the UK fast :lol:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:15 am

"Please don't tell me there isn't a branch of a foreign food shop somewhere near you , Anyroads ?"

Can't say I remember the last time I was in one........

anyroads

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:32 am

..for the same reasons Indian expats living in their adopted UK host country have Indian food shops...or Italians, Chinese etc.,living in UK :lol:
Exactly! I loved Spanish food -- and ingredients -- in the main...BUT.... there would always be some (British) things I wanted. If I could buy them in a Spanish shop, all well and good....but if not, then it had to be a 'Brit shop'.......what's so wrong with that?? :lol:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:48 am

Much as I love Spanish food and trying to do things the Spanish way when we're over there, I've no hang up about buying and procuring Brit food products to compliment things :?

Not being one's for processed food we don't do ready meals/packets/pies and all that stuff in the UK so don't lose much sleep on finding rubbish like that over there anyway.

As for the sausage thing, I've heard this said before in real life by Brit aquaintances over there.....however just go in to any proper Spanish butchers (we go to Velez) and ask for salchita non picante and you'll get served bangers without that overpowering chorizo taste :thumbup: , pick the right butcher (as you have to over here in all fairness) and the sausages are brill, certainly better than the processed Walls offerings people drive to Gib for and then freeeze :lol:

Basic Brit stuff is available in the most remote village stores I've noticed anyway........far more than there was back in 2002.

Actually, it's not the lack of Brit food I'd find the problem with if I were there full time.........it's the lack of pukka Chinese/Ethnic Supermarkets where you can stock up on the essentials for that type of quisine.............that is something we do take for granted over here.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:34 am

..exactly my point, DA, about foreign food suppliers in UK, thank you....
There are a few shops here other than Brit shops selling "foreign foods " ie Chinese,Thai, Indian, Italian but they are few and far between - usually down on the coast or in the odd market.

I like Spanish food but I find it quite bland for my taste and don't want to eat it all the time. I know British food is also land to some but variety is the spice of life and all that !

It is quite difficult to find certain spices if you are an adventurous cook like myself and I don't have that sort of trouble in UK, used to have, many years ago, but not nowadays. I have to rely on Asian friends for galangal and lemon grass, but was even able to get tamarind paste from a major supermarket here recently and fresh ginger is becoming readily available, even in Mercadona.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:30 pm

As long as you have the basic ingredients you can cook British style meals. Did prefer to buy Lamb, sausages in Morrisons in Gib...they often sold the Duchy sausage and OH liked their bacon. You could get proper hung steak too, and fresh pasta instead of the dried packet rubbish.There is also a shop which stocks some Fortnum and Mason products.

Most Brit shops in Spain seem uninspiring, looks like a load of cheap market produce. I used to bring most of our herbs and spices from the UK as the ones sold in spanish supers were often out of date and tasteless. Speciality rice too

All nationalities like their own stuff, our Norwegian friends even take their own flour to Spain and various other stuff. Doesn't make you more spanglish and integrated by eating spanish food :lolno:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:54 pm

I have tried to resist, but with this thread going on and on...can you buy stuff to eat at lunch, tea and dinner as well? :wink: :lol:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

conceptqueen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby conceptqueen » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:43 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I have tried to resist, but with this thread going on and on...can you buy stuff to eat at lunch, tea and dinner as well? :wink: :lol:

I'll bet that you've not been able to sleep since you noticed this minor typo. :roll:

You really must get a life and stop worrying about such trivialities, not good for your blood pressure. :wink:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:22 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I have tried to resist, but with this thread going on and on...can you buy stuff to eat at lunch, tea and dinner as well? :wink: :lol:
I was going to mention it and add lunchmarket :silent: Obviously just a typo but no humour allowed on A.glum :lol:

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:00 pm

:lol: :lol: (Some people really ought to get out more.....or get a life, whichever comes first!)
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full