Technogas Andalucia

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
bernipops3
Andalucia.com Amigo

Technogas Andalucia

Postby bernipops3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Anyone had any dealings with this company? A guy knocked on our door today said he had to inspect our gas installation and it was obgligatory. Not knowing any better we let him in but we are sure we have been scammed. Any information would be great. Thanks.

Bernipops

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Re: Technogas Andalucia

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:52 pm

I googled and came up with this:

http://www.tecnogasandalucia.es/

Looks as if you are ok!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:56 pm

It was a scam, although they might be a genuine company who have possibly overcharged you.
The 2 gas companies, Cepsa and Repsol NEVER send anybody out without you asking them to send someone and a mutually convenient time is booked for the visit.
All gas installations should be checked every 5 years and a certificate issued.
How much did he charge you and what needed renewing?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

bernipops3
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bernipops3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:00 pm

75 euros plus IVA - labour only no parts. Funny thing is a spanish friend of ours was around so I asked him to speak to the Technogas man and he told me it was legit. He also phoned someone to enquire about having to have a check and a certificate every five years and this also checked out. I just have a feeling that we have been ripped off.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:13 pm

OK. You were lucky and have only slightly been ripped off.
Others have been charged a lot more and have had to pay for unnecessary repairs and renewals.
Keep the certificate in a safe place in case someone else just turns up.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 am

This was on the news yesterday.
One less gang of scammers to worry about.

Code: Select all

http://andaluciainformacion.es/sevilla/266701/detenido-el-cabecilla-de-una-estafa-a-ancianos-en-las-revisiones-del-gas/

rough translation below.
Police have arrested the ringleader of a scam in which bogus technicians performed revisions/repairs and charged astronomical amounts to gas victims, mostly elderly, in a scam in which they had managed to collect 100,000 euros.
A police statement reports that the accused is Rafael SC, sole director of a company which had already been arrested in the past for similar facts but also on 5th were arrested three others involved in the scam. The deception was to charge exorbitant prices for replacement parts on the market had a much lower value. To make the situation more believable and leave no doubt about its veracity to the victims, the accused acted in pairs and adopted all sorts of formalities, as well as a technical report of the Board of Andalusia who were to conduct a mandatory review of gas. To carry out the scam always chose elderly, more vulnerable, which sometimes had to pawn valuables to make ends meet after paying the astronomical bill, according to police notice. The company through which the fraud was carried out legally registered since July 2012 but started business long before that date, which suggests that it was created as a legal platform to conduct a massive and ongoing scam. So far it is estimated that the amount of money defrauded is over 100,000 euros and another 40,000 that had to be recovered. According fraudulent contracts that have been studied, the total number of victims could rise to more than two hundred. Upon completion of the police inquiries the detainee was brought to justice, who ordered his imprisonment.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 am

I chap with an impressive badge and carrying a clipboard turned up at our place a couple of weeks back asking to inspect our gas installation. Conscious of these scams I said we didn't have a gas installation. He just nodded got back in his van and drove off. I presume that had he been genuine he would have known we do have gas for cooking and water heating! :o

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:41 pm

We are aware of these scams and I have a plan!

If anyone like this knocks at my door, I will invite them to let me take their photograph, and a photo of their i.d. , with my iPhone.

I am assuming they will scarper pretty quickly. It worked in a car park in the UK when car clampers were starting to wheel clamp a car! I also mentioned at the time that I would email a copy of the photo to the Income Tax Authorities!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Our neighbours has 2 men turn up to ´test the water for calcium´ the neighbours ended up signing a contract that was going to cost thousands :wtf: I rang a Spanish friend, he took the neighbour into the town the next morning to cancel the contract via the town hall. The men arrived a few hours later to connect the ´water softener´ I think it was some wire to a pipe! I was called to help, eventually the men went, I refused to let them in the gate and after an hour (I also took numberplate photo) and phoning the same Spanish friend the men left, with threats to denounce us for illegal houses (they are not)
For plumbers they were very smartly dressed, nice trousers, shirt and tie. They had told the neighbours they would be very ill as the water is so hard (it isn´t) They tested the water using a swimming pool tester tablet and the water turned pink!

So it isn´t just gas scams that go on.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Stevemul wrote:We are aware of these scams and I have a plan!

If anyone like this knocks at my door, I will invite them to let me take their photograph, and a photo of their i.d. , with my iPhone.

I am assuming they will scarper pretty quickly. It worked in a car park in the UK when car clampers were starting to wheel clamp a car! I also mentioned at the time that I would email a copy of the photo to the Income Tax Authorities!
The two guys that came to our door once, allowed me to photocopy their company and national ID cards, and their company documentation (allegedly) allowing them to inspect gas installations.
I still didn’t let them in :wave:

gretch

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:36 pm

I went to the Repsol web site and entered our details and requested a check. They made an appointment for one of their approved companies to call. The guy checked the installation, replaced the rubber tube and issued a certificate. He seemed pretty competent so we asked him to clean the water heater. For a very reasonable rate he took the boiler apart and cleaned it. We are on their database now for a check up after 5 years.
Brian.

v.dubber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby v.dubber » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Cave info: http://caveliving.forummotion.com
Inland Spain: http://inlandspain.forumotion.com

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Might be a load of info for those who are subscribed to that forum.
No use for the majority of us. :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

v.dubber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby v.dubber » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:18 pm

You shouldn't need to subscribe to read it, only to post a reply or new thread. :thumbup:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:22 pm

When I originally tried it it asked me to log in. Now it takes me directly to the thread.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

v.dubber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby v.dubber » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:24 pm

in fact there are several threads re this scam
http://caveliving.forummotion.com/f16-i ... ct-details