IBI Query

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
telboy
Resident

IBI Query

Postby telboy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 am

We normally receive our IBI bill through the post around September which is paid automatically from our bank account. We hadn't received one last year, but we've just picked up from our post box a notification (which we need to sign for at the post office). Having picked up this mail, it appears it is the IBI bill with a penalty added of about 10% extra, we assume is for late payment. :wtf:

Would anyone know why we hadn't received a bill and why we got a penalty :?:

Does the bank only sent you a bill if they have taken the money out. We can only assume that there wasn't quite enough money in the account so the bank hasn't transferred it but hadn't let us know. We haven't had a bank statement since November so we have no idea whether the IBI has been paid to date. :wtf:

Is this whole farse something we need to sort out with The Bank or The Diputacion de Granada to where our tax is paid :?:

Colinm
Resident

Re: IBI Query

Postby Colinm » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:50 pm

I'd guess it was lack of funds at the time the bill was due to be paid by the bank. Happened to me a few years ago :oops:

Only way to be sure is to ensure there are enough funds in the account, which is difficult when you actually don't know how much the bill is going to be! :shock:
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Only way to be sure is to ensure there are enough funds in the account, which is difficult when you actually don't know how much the bill is going to be!
....and what day/date in the month the money is taken out :!:

Cheers :thumbup:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:14 pm

If you have online banking, then you can check your balance from UK. Unless you haven't been revised recently for IBI/catastro, then the amount due is likely to be a bit more than last year... :D

We didn't pay one year, and wondered why - it turned out they had done a thorough revision of our catastro values etc, and then issued it with a completely different reference number, which of course the bank didn't have a direct debit for. Oh yes, and they back dated the new reference number for four years at the new figure (about 15 times the old figure :thumbdown: ) without taking into account the four years we'd already paid under the old reference number... :crazy:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 pm

It really is best to have a float of a couple of hundred euros to expect the unexpected.

I did have a problem a couple of years ago, where the second semi annual payment of my standing order had not been acted upon. I did have to pay a fine when putting it right. The annoying thing is, I never got to the bottom of it. Neither the bank nor the town hall seemed to know what went wrong.

I know have a contact at the town hall whom I contact just before the scheduled payments, so make sure everything is in order. I always get the same reply, it will go through providing there is money in the account...cheek !

anyroads

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 am

We've had a password/username problem whenever we've tried banking online in the past, however we'll see if we can sort it out this morning at the bank.

It does sound as if it may be a lack of funds especially if the IBI/Catastro has increased.

I'll post my outcome after visiting the bank.

Cheers guys

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:47 pm

UPDATE - In a nutshell from my original post.

People like us in the campo have their mail delivered to little bus stop type construction housing banks of letter boxes and positioned usually on the nearest main road. Our postman was on his jollies and so a relief postie was brought in. Each post box has a number spayed onto it, this was a recent addition only brought in last year. At the time each post box owner was told that this number must now be added to any future correspondence. However, the relief postie took it upon himself to return to sender any mail that was sent out without this additional Post Box number, this happened to us and many others in our area and thus included bank statements and IBI requests. We weren't given enough time to action these address changes - very non-Spanish :wtf:

So, our IBI request wasn't sent to us - we didn't know how much it had increased by - so we didn't have a bank statement - so we weren't aware of its non-payment - all relative :!: So we and many others received a fine.

Cheers
Victor (Terry) Meldrew :wink:

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:32 am

telboy wrote:UPDATE - In a nutshell from my original post.

People like us in the campo have their mail delivered to little bus stop type construction housing banks of letter boxes and positioned usually on the nearest main road. Our postman was on his jollies and so a relief postie was brought in. Each post box has a number spayed onto it, this was a recent addition only brought in last year. At the time each post box owner was told that this number must now be added to any future correspondence. However, the relief postie took it upon himself to return to sender any mail that was sent out without this additional Post Box number, this happened to us and many others in our area and thus included bank statements and IBI requests. We weren't given enough time to action these address changes - very non-Spanish :wtf:

So, our IBI request wasn't sent to us - we didn't know how much it had increased by - so we didn't have a bank statement - so we weren't aware of its non-payment - all relative :!: So we and many others received a fine.

Cheers
Victor (Terry) Meldrew :wink:
Enquire at post office when relief postie will be on next & will it be same one. Meet at post box & slap hard.
Todos somos Lorca.

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:31 am

telboy wrote:We normally receive our IBI bill through the post around September which is paid automatically from our bank account.
That's what I have - but without the "luxury" of receiving a bill. Since I'm not usually in Spain when the IBI bills are sent out, they sit and fester in the local post-office (I must be further out in the Campo, we don't have buzons here and the postie never delivers - we have to collect from the office) for 2 weeks and then get returned. However that has never stopped the Ayuntamiento from sucking the direct debit from my account.

What I have been told is that now I have transferred the registration of my house from the previous owner to myself, after 7 years, that this year's IBI will be paid automatically by DD, but next year's (2014) will be billed and I'll have to pay it in pe3rson & set up a new direct debit.

Have you recently (in the past 2 years) had to deal with your local APAT office? That might have knocked out your automatic payments.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:02 am

Our Post Office is 16km away in our nearest town of Algarinejo, when the postie delivers to our small village 4km from us he needs to pass near us on the main road, that is why they have set up Buzons en-route. We have friends who need to visit the PO to pick up their mail like yourself Pete. Our Post Office is only open 5 days a week from 9am to 10pm, bit of a pain if we need to pick anything up especially as it can close at 9.45am.

My wife worked for a bank when we lived in the UK - regarding Direct Debits, her bank, if payments were due and an account lacked the funds, they would give it a couple of days before taking the payment, or even try again a week later. Only after a week would the would there be a charge for a failed payment, but this charge would come from the bank not usually from the recipient, but in my case the fine was made by the APAT office and after just one failed attempt at taking the payment.

No, we've had no dealings with our local APAT office.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:36 am

What happened in my case was rather funny.
I paid by dd in 2010, then in 2011 i got no bill and no money was taken from my account. I thought could i be so lucky that they had decided not to have my house recorded.
Then in 2012 back to normal and paid by the bank. I then needed to go to the offices on a different matter to do with the water, the guy at the desk is really not very helpful and he really had no interest in my query.
What he did do was put the information from my water bill into the computer system and presented me with a bill for 2011 and the charges on top were about 20%.
A regards DDs,my understanding is if the bank do not get a request from the service privider for the payment it will not be paid, i am also thinking that the Town Hall do not send bills out to everyone who is on DDs but i may be wrong with this.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:50 am

carrowcrin wrote:..., i am also thinking that the Town Hall do not send bills out to everyone who is on DDs but i may be wrong with this.
Like most things in Spain it depends where you live.
I pay my IBI by DD but my town hall, Velez Malaga, sends me a bill which is stamped as "paid by DD"
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:16 pm

gerryh - Yes! in the past we had a bill from APAT that was stamped as being paid.

But what we wanted more recently was a bill saying how just how much the IBI would be and when it needed paving by - just like that of our electricity bills from Sevillana Endesa, but then again the cause of our problem in the first place was the inefficiency of the Post Office, which led to us not having enough funds in the account to pay the increased IBI.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 am

Queried with my contact at the town hall to make sure my Direct Debit was in place for 2013.

Seems they are not even going to look at IBI until April !!

anyroads

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:22 am

You can get your IBI bill online by following the instructions below.

IMPORTANT - the bill is not available all year round. Last year I accessed mine in mid June, so you have to wait till then to do this.

Click here https://www.prpmalaga.es/web/cartapag2/"

Type in your matricula number from old IBI receipt and select the area you live in ie Manilva

Click on the 'Emitir aviso de pago sin datos personales' link

then 'Volver a emitir éste mismo aviso de pago'

You should then get a copy of what you owe.

Take a note of the cargo recibo number.

---------------------------------------------

Go back to the beginning and type in your matricula number and select area you live in ie Manilva?

Select ' emitir aviso de Pago con dates personals del contribuyente'

Type in the NIF/CIF/NIE as it appears on your old IBI and the cargo recibo number you have just made a note of.

You will then have your IBI bill and you can print it off.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Cheers costapacket

I'll give it a try - as you said, may have to wait nearer the time for the next estimate/bill.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Just been having a nosy at the site, and am now wondering what 'Domiciliación Bancaria de Recibos' does ? Our IBI is (or should be) paid thro our Unicaja account - is this page just a way of arranging a direct debit ?

Very useful link, tho :thumbup: how long do the bills remain on the internet once they've been put there ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:50 pm

This link takes you to the calendar of when bills are due http://www.prpmalaga.es/web/calendarfisc/calendare.html

I don't know for sure but I would imagine IBI bills will be online on the dates shown in red. They are usually only available for a short time and I always look online around June/July to make sure I have put enough money in the bank for the direct debit. Also having a copy of the IBI means I can fill in my income tax return (thanks to Beachcombers instructions) and pay it when I'm in spain during the summer.

I set up my direct debit by going to the office in Manilva. i believe you can do it online but I don't know how to, sorry. Maybe someone with better Spanish than me can look at the website and tell you.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks costapacket

I'm in Granada province through I suspect the dates for IBI payment must be generic. My Road Tax is paid in November though.

If anyone has a link for a calendar of bill payments for Granada province that would be a great help :?:

Cheers