Lidl

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Lidl

Postby markwilding » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Chocolate, Chocolate chip cookies.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:48 pm

Rueda Visigodo is a nice white wine too but I think it's about a euro dearer than the Pati Rueda Blanca which is actually just as nice but we thought we'd try an 'expensive' white :D They have a nice Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon atm too - Cimarosa, similar price to the Visigodo I think (sorry, can't find the receipt)

The chocolate we like is J.D. Gross D'Equateur 70% (we like dark chocolate) . I think it's about 1 euro 50 something........can't remember but we have one chunky square each a night after dinner and the bar lasts 5 days. (Aren't we good?)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:59 pm

Lidl Jokes

I tried to pay for a trolley full of shopping in Lidl today with a five pound note.

She said, "Have you got anything smaller?"
====================
I met a girl in a nightclub last night when she whispered in my ear, "I want you to make me feel dirty and degraded."

So I took her shopping in my local Lidl.

OK....I'll get me coat :silent:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Ice cream - particularly the chocolate & nuts covered 'lollies' that we call "mock magnums"
Water, yes, and milk (longlife),
Now fresh bread - the barras are much nicer than Mercadona & last longer too. The seeded loaf is quite 'dense' in texture, but toasted & buttered straightaway it is delicious :thumbup:
Loo roll - 4 ply
All sorts of chocolate - we love the packs of mini versions of Topic, Bounty and Snickers
Flan :oops:

and there's probably more that I can't think of just at the moment - I've tried to only list what we get in Spain, which is tricky as we also shop at Lidl in UK :lol:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:26 am

Basmati rice, bananas and the milk chocolate (39 centimos) which I think is as good as Cadburys! Not that I eat it :( (diabetic) their very dark chocolate is lovely too. Cat litter (cheaper than Mercadona :lol: )
I did buy a very nice polo shirt a few weeks ago, I think I paid 5.99€ it washed very well and looks smart.
We are still using the gas bbq we bought 8 years ago (who bets it does not work tomorrow when we want to use it now!)

Only shop at Eroski for Cif and fuel for the car :crazy:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:44 am

Goats cheese (roll), 30 cents cheaper than Mercadona. Cereal - the only place that sells something I get on with, Potatoes ,some fruit and veg. Packaged nuts. Cashews in particular- edible compared with Mercadona. Wine, some meat (no longer buy chicken from supermarkets) Opey Biscuits, freezer cabinet has some gems. Greek cheese pastries are an example (damn - won't be able too buy them for love nor money now), butter, items on themed specialities. (nearly out of blackcurrant juice). Electrical appliances. Good price, guarantee.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:04 am

The hot /mild frozen chicken wings are nice :) also the fresh meat from the butcher has always been ok, I bought a prepacked T bone steak from the chiller cabinet last week, and it was lovely, but I have had it before the meat was off, due to the packet being damaged I imagine, but as I was late and hungry I tried it again and it was great :) I also like the cartons of evaporated milk, cheaper than else were, I buy quiet a lot from Lidl when I am in spain, good value and convenient for me :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:13 am

Did someone mention wine cartons?
Dave

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:34 am

You'll all have a shock if you come up here ! snickers, bounty & twix? Things to dream of. lol They are just shops here, no fresh meat/fish counters. only just got actual Coca-Cola in the LOrca one !
the shops themslves though are immaculate having just been refitted.
I tend to use Aldis in Águilas on a sunday, & no it isn't less busy, customers being me & the rest Germans & Russians.
The nightmare stores up here by far & away were the Día shops. Absolute nightmare.
Todos somos Lorca.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:48 am

The nightmare stores up here by far & away were the Día shops. Absolute nightmare.
I have found Dia% to be much cheaper than LIDL or ALDI. Their wine and spirit section beats the competition hands down. Fresh meat and chicken? Much better than the other two.
That's down here mind.
Dave

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:19 pm

I like some of lidl's cleaning products - dishwasher rinse aid and salt, bin bags and cleaning cloths to name a few. :D
I can spell but I can't type

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:46 pm

gus-lopez wrote:You'll all have a shock if you come up here ! snickers, bounty & twix? ...
I might have inadvertantly misled you - they are not the original snickers etc, but a 'copycat' version under one of Lidl's brand names :D

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:08 pm

The chocolate brands in ALDI are better than the Mr Choc brand in LIDL. Their "Race" bars are better than Mars bars.
Dave

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:17 pm

There was a new sight in the Lidl carpark in Velez-Malaga yesterday (assume the usual scrotes are off on holiday to the Carribean?), wearing tart uniform and seemingly offering personal services other than returning ones trolley to the racks.....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:27 pm

That would be the Saturday Specials Peter.
Dave

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:58 am

I agree with the other recommendations ... particularly Cid's .... mirror's my own shopping exactly, plus Olive and Chrissiehope. In additions to the ice creams mentioned, their large red tub of Bourbon Vanilla is delicious. Much better than Mercadona's effort! Bought a sewing machine there about 7 years ago for about 60€ and it has been fine.

I also agree about going shopping when it's quiet. Saturday afternoons can also be quiet .... we hate shopping with the masses. Even in August if you go about 3-30 it can be very manageable.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:36 am

Mowser wrote:
I have found Dia% to be much cheaper than LIDL or ALDI. Their wine and spirit section beats the competition hands down. Fresh meat and chicken? Much better than the other two.
That's down here mind.
Couldn't agree more about prices. That's the problem here , the South americans strip the place bare ! I inadvertently ventured in around 8pm one saturday night & the place looked like a war zone. Empty boxes & cardboard sheets everywhere , huge queues at the check outs. it's better during the day when they are working ! Siesta time is the best time to go unless of course you are having a siesta! :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Going to mercadona look out for the "road kill" chickens, they will even sell you the carcass for stewing.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:00 pm

No it is not pronounced Ner Ha. The J is more guttural like a the ch in loch.

I like discussions about pronunciation

Some friends were arguing over whether it was Oedipus or edipus.

I said as long as you love your mother, who cares.

then there were the two dyxlexic skiers who asked a man on a sledge a question.
Don't ask me about sking he said, I'm a toboganist.

In that case, they said, we'll have 20 silk cut and a box of matches

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:57 pm

groan !!! :lol: