Plagued by ants.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gus-lopez
Resident

Re: Plagued by ants.

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:22 am

sarah28jg wrote:We had a lot of trouble with them in the house last year, after trying various remedies we found a nice (and cheap!!) little product in Mercadona that actually worked...

Called "sonata trampa para hormigas" , you place the little plastic "traps" in the path of the little buggers and as it contains a slow acting poison they then take it back to the nest...took about a week to clear the house completely, but (fingers crossed) they havent come back this year..
They are planning & reassembling their army! :lolno:
Todos somos Lorca.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Can I ask a question? Would ants live in a wall? At the top of the shaft leading from the kitchen to the terrace (which lets light into the kitchen) there's a hole in the wall and some kind of creepy crawlies live there. OH has rigged up a spray on a pole and keeps squirting in the hole (as best he can, from the bedroom window which opens out onto the shaft) but there's still 'evidence' of some sort of life - you know how ants leave a pile of - well, gritty looking stuff if the best way to describe it - we get that on top of the fridge (which is underneath the shaft.)

Or might we have something even more 'orrible living in the wall? We've never seen anything moving but something is definitely kicking out stuff from the hole.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:57 pm

The little swines will get into anything last July we left some chops on a bench in a sealed zippy bag and when we got home we could hardly see the chops for ants. We've been told to use a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar on benches when wiping over has anyone else tried this. Seemingly they don't like the acid vinegar.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:08 pm

IreneD wrote: OH has rigged up a spray on a pole and keeps squirting in the hole (as best he can, from the bedroom window which opens out onto the shaft)
How does he press the squirter on the can?

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Chunky, he has two methods the second is really hard to explain. His first method was to get some sticky tape one side of the nozzle, then just before hoisting the can and the pole, he pulled the sticky tape over the nozzle so it was 'firing' permanently (or until he'd finished and removed the tape.) Hope that makes sense because to explain the other method is even harder lol.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 pm

At least you don't have to stand on his shoulders!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Ooh, method 3! Think I'll keep quiet about that one lol!

DiannaD
Tourist

Postby DiannaD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 am

I know that this post is verrry old, but I was brought to this forum because of my recent ant infestation and wanted to share the excellent solution I found.
I ordered Diatomeas Earth from Amazon in Spain since it's not toxic to pets or humans and the ants were mainly overtaking the kitchen. It works amazingly well and by the second day the ants were gone! Now I have it on hand but since I haven't washed it away completely, I think what remains on the floor will continue to do the job.
Hope this helps!