Cajamar Bank Charges

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
axarquian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cajamar Bank Charges

Postby axarquian » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:50 am

Hi all........ On reviewing my Cajamar bank statement I see that I am being charged 125 euros a year to maintain my non-resident account. This is made up of:
Quarterly account maintenance charge = 15 euros
Annual Visa credit card charge = 35 euros
Annual Cash card charge = 30 euros

I rarely use the credit or cash card so I may well cancel them, I only have the credit card because some online organisations (e.g. Alsa) will not accept a U.K. card, as for the cash card I can just as easily go into a branch to withdraw cash.

The annual account maintenance fee of 60 euros was introduced in June, Cajamar previously had fee free banking.

I am going into my local branch (Vinuela) to see what can be done regarding the charges but would like to know if anyone out there still enjoys free banking with their bank, or do they all charge. Maybe the Cajamar charges are inline with the other banks, it would be useful to be forearmed.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cajamar Bank Charges

Postby Mowser » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:28 am

Yes. I went to the local branch and asked about this. There was a thread about this some time ago.
Basically, if you open a savings account you will not be charged a fee. This account pays 3.7% (was 3.9%) but there is a maximum you can put in. Here's what I posted in June:-
Just back from Cajamar. I complained that the original account said "No charges forever". Antonio explained that most banks are now making a charge because of the "crisis." I said that as it was only €15 per year, I'd just grin and bear it. He explained it was €15 every three months. He said there was a way round this.

If I open an account called "Aportacion Capital Social Cajamar" and deposit a minimum of €1,037, the bank will pay interest of 3.9% gross. In addition, commission on the "normal" account will be scrapped.
Thread is http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtop ... ar#p298503
Dave

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:29 am

If you look back, I posted about charges from Cajamar, although it was for a resident account. Different branches dealt with charges differently. My branch in Velez absolutely refused to waive the card charges, whereas Benamargosa waived them for a friend. If you don't bank with the Vinuela branch, they will probably tell you to go to the branch where your account is. At least, that's what they told me
AlisonB

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:58 am

As I understand it, Cajamar is like a building society in the UK. I "joined" for a small one-time fee, and now get free banking, with free use of tarjetas provided each one (we have one each) is used a minimum of 48 times per year. We now make sure we use them both on our weekly shopping trip - simple!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:48 pm

I posted this on another forum in august:
We are with Unicaja and my Uk pension is transferred into our account automatically every month. I don't pay any charges at all at the moment. I also have an account with Cajamar and up until this monthe I have paid no charges nor commissions because I am over 65 years of age. However this month I have been charged 15 euros for my card. Today I have been to the bank and found out the following:- they have changed their rules. The free banking for 65 year olds has been withdrawn and they charge 15 or 30 euros per annum for their card. 15 if you make more than 48 payments per year with the card. They are charging us 60 euros pa for the account . To avoid these charges one must invest in their business. They don't have shares so what you have to buy is something similar but different. Each of these 'shares' cost 61 euros and you must buy at least a total of 1037 euros worth of these 'shares' to avoid maintenance charges. These 'shares' attract a three monthly interest but are not affected by variations in value like true shares and so you are guaranteed your 1037 euros + interest back whenever you cash them in (and start paying bank charges again of course). These 'shares' are kept in a separate account from your normal current account.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:07 pm

A family member (so dont quote me;-) went into is it the granada rural in nerja recently asking for info on opening an account after people mentioned them on here. and the lady in the bank said there was no charges at all bar a € 15 debit card fee. but the card was free for the first year. now my family member isnt the best at remembering info shall I say but might be worth going in if you are local.