Proposed "Offenses Against Spain" bill.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
rafiki
Resident

Proposed "Offenses Against Spain" bill.

Postby rafiki » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:36 pm

I am feeling disturbed by some of these proposals: http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/11/29/ine ... 30565.html
Brian.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Re: Proposed "Offenses Against Spain" bill.

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:47 pm

What will be next? Gagging the press from reporting corruption?

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Possibly but this is putting big restrictions on peaceful protest with huge fines for contravention. The original figure of 600.000€ (now reduced to 30.000€) for protesting without permission to me smacks of panic which is very worrying.
Brian.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:07 pm

In my opinion, it is a vestige of the totalitarian state that existed in Spain until as recently as 1975/6.

Interestingly, Daniel Hannan - the MEP who's exposure of the equally totalitarian nature of the present EU "rulers" amuses and worries me in equal measure - has written a book claiming that only the "Anglosphere" (as he calls it) understands what true democracy is about and that the EU, as currently comprised and operating, is in no way truly democratic although it, of course, believes otherwise! In a brief interview with Radio 4's Evan Davies who asked what was possibly undemocratic about, for example, Spain, he started to explain some of the iniquitous laws that one finds in Spain, but sadly, the interview on the Today programme was timed out before he could elaborate much further.

I agree with rafiki that it is indeed worrying....but then so is the granting of planning permission and its subsequent rescinding, the failure to enforce existing legislation about animal welfare, the corruption that afflicts all levels of government from my own town hall of Cortes up to the government in Madrid, the politically motivated pardons granted, without any stated reasons, by the government........I could go on.

In my case, it is the beauty of my surroundings, the mediterranean (and cheaper) lifestyle, and the innate easygoing friendliness of the local population that outweighs these negatives............for the moment that is.
nil illegitimum carborundum

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:22 pm

Trooperman wrote:............for the moment that is.
Agreed!
Brian.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:14 pm

The cynic in me makes me think this is an EU driven concept.

I still maintain that many EU countries far from being in the clear and heading out of disaster are in fact heading deeper and deeper into trouble. I don't see many countries curbing their spiralling debt.When the books need balancing by stealing say 15% of all deposited money such a law would help keep protestors off the streets.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Sounds a bit draconian but many countries around the World, the UK included, are trying to stop free speech one way or another. Why are we, The People, sleep walking into becoming drones — voiceless, powerless, faceless tax payers? Beats me! :?

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Lavanda wrote:Sounds a bit draconian...
More than just a bit to me. I tend to worry more about this country than what is happening in similar circumstances elsewhere in the world. As Olive says there is more economic pain to come and one has to wonder when breaking point will be reached.
Brian.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Lavanda, I think it's because anyone who tries to do anything to reverse the trend is labelled a rascist a fascist ridiculed or arrested.

Mhic.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:40 pm

Agreed but perhaps it's time to not care about labels, although getting arrested is a bit much. I'm not hijacking the thread but the story of the mentally ill Italian woman forceably sedated and given a Caesarian to remove her baby into care distrubs me HUGELY. Even more scary is that it happened IN THE U.K. WTF is going on in the World????????

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Lavanda wrote:I'm not hijacking the thread....
Yes you are. :thumbdown:
Brian.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Yes. You're right. Sorry. I need to start a new thread called, "Actual offenses against People act."

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Lavanda wrote:Yes. You're right. Sorry. I need to start a new thread called, "Actual offenses against People act."
Go on then.
Brian.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Lavanda wrote:Sounds a bit draconian but many countries around the World, the UK included, are trying to stop free speech one way or another. Why are we, The People, sleep walking into becoming drones — voiceless, powerless, faceless tax payers? Beats me! :?
I really am very concerned about what is happening in the Spanish politics landscape. The use of royal decrees to prevent proper discussion in Madrid is worrying.
The attempt to stifle anyone that wants to speak about freedom or decry the corruption in this sick country, is just the latest in a line of weird control freakery going on here.
One of my concerns in Spain is that there is so much legislation, we could be criminalised unwittingly at any time. What is more, if we complain, we could become "marked" by this PP government, which seems to be moving further to the right, day by day.

There is more than a suspicion that all this protectionism from the government stems from the fact that they are, in general, a bunch of corrupt capos.
They should be told what they tell us: "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear".

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:45 pm

+1

As a local community photographer I know most of the cops around here but I when a notice couple of Guardia from away at an event I am very careful where I point the camera just in case!
Brian.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:59 pm

The new thread is in the Amigos Lounge, rafiki. Thanks. :thumbup:

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:02 pm

Lavanda wrote:The new thread is in the Amigos Lounge, rafiki. Thanks. :thumbup:
Thanks for the heads-up. I don't go there much but I'll take a look.
Brian.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:50 pm

I think Franco Rajoy want's another civil war. I commented on the PP's love of using the royal decree to pass laws on another forum some while back. Makes you wonder whether it is done to prevent people from his own side, siding with the opposition in a vote?
Apparently another member pointed out that this government has used the decree method far more than any previous administration.
In reality it really needs bringing home to them that they are only ordinary citizens , elected to manage affairs because they are interested in doing so, & attempts to become dictatorships will only end , hopefully, in the population rising up & hanging them all. :thumbup:
Todos somos Lorca.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:58 pm

........attempts to become dictatorships will only end , hopefully, in the population rising up & hanging them all.
Sadly, the recent history of Spain indicates otherwise as the losers were hanged with Franco doing all the hanging from 1939 until 1975
nil illegitimum carborundum

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:08 am

rafiki wrote:Possibly but this is putting big restrictions on peaceful protest with huge fines for contravention. The original figure of 600.000€ (now reduced to 30.000€) for protesting without permission to me smacks of panic which is very worrying.
Maybe they are trying to head things off as it were, before people take to the streets in earnest.

Reported today that the Spanish government has been accused of pushing illegally built homes to British buyers. The country has an estimated three million homes standing empty. One million of these may have been built illegally.

The Spanish government wants to see some of the three million vacant homes and runs an online list, but a report suggested that many of the homes registered were due for demolition, which is not stated on the website.

Then there is the matter of 27% odd unemployment, which is possibly here to stay. The 54% odd unemployment for people under 24.

No wonder they want to keep people off the streets.

anyroads