Won a Jamon.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
allgram
Resident

Won a Jamon.

Postby allgram » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:18 am

Hello , my wife and I have just won a full leg of Jamon , I will use a lot of it up in friends and neighbours ,but we are thinking " can we wrap some sliced up and send to friends in the UK " we realise that the most possible answer will be no but does anyone know for certain .

Thank you ,

allgram.

swerve
Resident

Re: Won a Jamon.

Postby swerve » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:46 am

I think the only way you would get away with that would be to vacuum packet wrapping it and sending it in the normal way would be a bit dodgy.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:23 am

I think you may breach foot & mouth rules by exporting it. Maybe you should just share it locally and make lots of jamon sandwiches 8) .

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:33 am

Thank you swerve and scotty , yes , I think the sharing between friends and neighbours is the answer .

allgram . :wave:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Brother took one back as cabin baggage with the Irish in November, no trouble and hoof was clearly visible. This to Birmingham. Posting may well be different.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:40 pm

i do not know what the rules are, i came from Spain to UK in Dec, i carry all kindof food in both directions and have never had a problem, my attitude is if they take it there is no big deal... I am not so sure posting would work especially if i was delivering your post but if it were me i would go for it and see what happens.... let us know if it works for you...

scotty
Resident

Cop on !

Postby scotty » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:12 pm

carrowcrin wrote:i do not know what the rules are, i came from Spain to UK in Dec, i carry all kindof food in both directions and have never had a problem, my attitude is if they take it there is no big deal... I am not so sure posting would work especially if i was delivering your post but if it were me i would go for it and see what happens.... let us know if it works for you...
Having seen first hand two outbreaks of foot & mouth disease in Ireland and the UK I think your post is at best negligent. Your first eight words say it all ! So yes you are right it's no big deal if they take it off you but it's a really big deal to the economy if your foolish action results in another epidemic. :evil:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cop on !

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:35 pm

scotty wrote:
carrowcrin wrote:

Having seen first hand two outbreaks of foot & mouth disease in Ireland and the UK I think your post is at best negligent. Your first eight words say it all ! So yes you are right it's no big deal if they take it off you but it's a really big deal to the economy if your foolish action results in another epidemic. :evil:
Spain has been free of Foot and Mouth for over 25 years.

I would think importing a ham sandwich from the UK to Spain would be a much more dangerous act.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Movement of food products within the EU is allowed with no restriction. It is very restricted from outside of the EU.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:59 pm

just cover the ham with a grubby dishcloth like the Spanish and you can carry on eating it for months :D

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:22 am

El Cid wrote:
scotty wrote:
carrowcrin wrote:

Spain has been free of Foot and Mouth for over 25 years.

I would think importing a ham sandwich from the UK to Spain would be a much more dangerous act.

Sid
They say "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing"

I said i did not know the rules, meaning that if the airport security staff allow it through it must be ok.
I hope the scot does not get a job there as i could end up in a cage at Malaga Airport.

Best wishes for 2014 to all...

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:47 am

I don't know how it will last in the post but, as Lyric says, you can legally take meat from an EU country to another EU country as long as the meat was produced in that country, not just wrapped there. This UK Gov leaflet explains it.

http://tinyurl.com/6rquub8
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:36 pm

I don't know how it will last in the post
I should think it will manage 3 days. For gawd's sake its been hanging around in some bar for months at 40C!

Cling film, sandwich between a couple of bits of card, envelope and send.

Movement of EU food within the EU is totally OK.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Campo Steve wrote:I don't know how it will last in the post but, as Lyric says, you can legally take meat from an EU country to another EU country as long as the meat was produced in that country, not just wrapped there. This UK Gov leaflet explains it.

http://tinyurl.com/6rquub8
Steve, thanks for that, good info to have...

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:39 pm

in the airport theres a sign showing what you cant take - there a picture of a meat witha big line thru it... maybe cured is ok ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Mike.M
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike.M » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:18 am

Within the EU, meat and dairy products are fine to cross borders. The 'special restrictions' that were put in place at the time of foot and mouth have long since been recinded.

Best thing would be to vacuum pack on a card (do you know a friendly bar or hotel manager?) or if not, clingfilm on card, in a sealable back then envelope and fire it off to blighty.

Regards,

Mike