Swine flu

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Julie
Andalucia Guru

Swine flu

Postby Julie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:23 pm

Just been reading this : http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/ ... andalucia/
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

HKM
Resident

Re: Swine flu

Postby HKM » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:17 am

Here in Granada several people have died from it too, it is quite worrying.. I had it when I was pregnant in 2009, not a severe case thank god. And I don't know about others but this has been the worst year for coughs and colds in our house, it is passing from one to the other and back again!

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:44 am

I'm out in spain next week. Hope it stays away from me.

Here are the symptoms if interested.

What is swine flu?

Swine flu is one of several strains of flu which are now considered to be seasonal flu. The official name for swine flu is Influenza A virus subtype H1N1.
This strain of flu, like other strains, can be serious for some people in at-risk groups.
Swine flu got its name because the first outbreaks mainly affected people who had direct contact with pigs.
What's the difference between swine flu and seasonal flu?

Initially, swine flu outbreak was treated separately from the normal seasonal flu. Now for many people, swine flu is the strain of flu they catch.
The symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of other strains of seasonal flu:
Temperature over 38C/100.4F
Unusual tiredness
Headache
Runny nose
Sore throat
Shortness of breath or cough
Loss of appetite
Aching muscles
Diarrhoea
Vomiting
Swine flu protection is now built in to the seasonal flu jab or vaccination.
The effects of swine flu are usually mild, but some people in at-risk groups who have not had the flu vaccination are more at risk of serious illness.
When flu symptoms develop, stay at home and have plenty of rest. Use age-appropriate over-the-counter painkillers.
Seek medical advice if you have concerns, or if you:
Have a serious underlying illness, such as diabetes, neurological conditions, lung disease, heart disease, liver or kidney disease
Are pregnant
Are having asthma treatment
Are over 65.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:06 pm

All the more reason for making sure you have the annual Flu jab in the autumn.

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:25 pm

Swine flu does not generally cross the human/animal divide .... this post is scare mongering.

Spanish flu is a bigger danger... and does kill people

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Gripe A is H1N1.. 'Swine Flu is H1N1'

http://www.ideal.es/granada/20140127/lo ... 70940.html

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:23 pm

I think you will find that AH1N1 is swine flu and that is also called just Gripe A.

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/servicio ... rmas_gripe

This year's vaccine contains 3 types, AH1N1, AH3N2 and B.

http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/v ... index.html

Sid

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Sorry for the mistake but it is the same virus and it is not scaremongering people are suffering from this, in the Village which I live a healthy 34 year old man died 3 weeks ago after developing pneumonia from flu..

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Quite a few people die every year in Spain from Flu - that's why they offer the free vaccine every year.

A couple of years ago, they offered two jabs, one was for "seasonal flu" with a separate swine flu jab for people more at risk. They combine them now.

The World Health Organization decides each year what strains are most likely. On the El Tiempo weather site they show a map of Spain with details of which strains are in each area.

http://en.eltiempo.es/gripe/

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:48 pm

After years of me nagging my Mum, she finally did NOT have her yearly flu jab last year. It was the first winter in a dozen years that she was NOT ill with colds and flus. I know you're all going to say that if everyone stops having the flu jab then flu will go viral. I don't care. I only care about my Mum. In her case the flu jab gave her flu. Every year. In any case, the only thing that will happen if everyone stops their flu jabs is that the flu jab business will go broke. Jolly good thing too.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm probably tempting fate now and will go down with an 'orrible case of swine flu but OH and I are like your mum, Lavanda - we don't have the flu jab. Unfortunately, I have to go to the doc for a blood test for my thyroid tomorrow, just hope there are no flu ridden people in the waiting room!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:05 pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Irene. :D

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:05 pm

IreneD wrote:I'm probably tempting fate now and will go down with an 'orrible case of swine flu but OH and I are like your mum, Lavanda - we don't have the flu jab. Unfortunately, I have to go to the doc for a blood test for my thyroid tomorrow, just hope there are no flu ridden people in the waiting room!
Yes that's what I hate. Had to go for a blood test last week but fortunately they are done before the surgery opens & all the sick arrive.
Go to make an appt for results this week but I'll make it just before closing as it is always empty then.
Todos somos Lorca.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:48 pm

IreneD wrote:I'm probably tempting fate now and will go down with an 'orrible case of swine flu but OH and I are like your mum, Lavanda - we don't have the flu jab. Unfortunately, I have to go to the doc for a blood test for my thyroid tomorrow, just hope there are no flu ridden people in the waiting room!
I'm prone to asthma, but I won't have a flu jab. I believe the best way to stay healthy is to eat a good balanced diet, keep weight under control, get plenty of exercise and this should keep your immune system in good order.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:53 am

:thumbup: Agreed! Apart from flu and flu jabs there are occasional reports in the news, becoming more frequent, that antibiotics are increasingly ineffectual against a whole range of illnesses. We may all have to pay more attention to our natural defences soon and build them up properly to keep infections at bay, naturally.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:57 am

We also don't have flu jabs, we did get the usual letter from the medical centre inviting us to have the jabs, but we declined.
Maybe we are wrong but we prefer to try to have a balanced diet and we drink a glass of fresh orange juice and eat a bowl of fresh fruit every morning, and for over 30 years we have taken a cod liver oil tablet every day..and of course at least one glass of red wine each day...strictly for health reasons of course.. :oops:
However I have to admit that we have had a dose of flu during the Christmas period, but we did recover quite quickly.

Regards,
Gordon

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:45 pm

I know they say it is impossible but I have barely even had cold since I started having the flu jab. I remember years ago when the bird flu scare was around there wasn't a vaccine to be had on the CDS. Almost 3 week waiting list. We had to get it from Gibraltar.

I have always had good food an a healthy diet, hardly eat any bread and stodge (except fresh cream cakes :D) and hve always been healthy. however, I wouldn't miss the flu jab.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Whatever works for a person is the best way forward. Flu jabs must work for some people, after all.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Was in Granada City last week for a hospital visit on a very wet miserable day, couldn't understand why so many local people we wearing dust masks, since it is too wet and the wrong time of the year for Olive pollen. :?

But now I know :!:

telboy