Torre Beach festival

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Torre Beach festival

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:00 pm

Are we the only ones to have been so badly affected by the noise from the Torre del Mar Beach Festival?

We live in a valley in Torrox campo but on two of the four nights it was on we were plagued by thumping deep bass noise that reverberated through the house and us :thumbdown:

Last night after waiting until 1am to see if it would quieten down we gave up, packed up and drove to a friend's (unoccupied) house to spend the night there. Unfortunately, despite it being even further down a valley and further along the coast we could still hear it. We are like zombies today and are exhausted from lack of sleep.

Even closing all the windows and shutters at ours did not keep out the bass. This is its second year and if there's to be another next year I can only think that we shall have to go away from the area altogether for at least a couple of nights as it goes on until about 7am each night. I read about live music being banned from bars and even the Balcon in Nerja, and yet the beach festivals and ferias pump out goodness-knows how many decibels of noise each year.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Torre Beach festival

Postby costakid » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:10 pm

its only 2 nights a year. You will sleep like a baby on Sunday night.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:40 pm

We must be quite a bit nearer than you, on a hill overlooking Velez-Malaga and down to Torre del Mar, and we honestly couldn't hear a thing (neither of us are deaf :) ). We had some windows open all night, but not a thing.

According to Diario Sur this morning it was a huge successs with almost double the number of people attending as last year, and the Ayuntamiento have said there will be another one next year, unfortunately for you.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:52 pm

costakid wrote:its only 2 nights a year. You will sleep like a baby on Sunday night.
It was on for four nights so we could be disturbed for all of that next year. There is another beach party next month at El Morche plus we can hear the El Morche feria too (so loud one year we couldn't hear our TV over it). We must have an amphitheatre affect here.

We never sleep well ... particularly my OH who is woken by a proverbial pin dropping. I honestly cannot remember the last time I slept through the night. People joke about it but it is a real misery and we are constantly tired.

We both got headaches from the noise which you could feel rumbling through you (earplugs didn't blot it out) .... it was obviously just the lie of the land and how the sound travelled that made it so bad for us.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:18 pm

Sorry to hear about your rotten 4 nights, Wicksey. Being a poor sleeper, too, I sympathise.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:16 pm

Yes it's strange how the bass frequencies seem to get through.
Have you tried a pair of the normal foam earplugs plus on top of that a pair of those industrial heavy duty ear protectors people working in noisy environments use. Bit extreen but it might help.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:18 pm

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:37 pm

I wondered what the thumping bass I could hear was last night sometime after midnight.
Must have been a lot of people there judging by the amount of litter in the temporary car park today.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:51 pm

54,000 of them apparently (over the whole festival that is, I don't know the maximum number that would have been there at any one time.

http://www.diariosur.es/malagatrend/mus ... 05209.html

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:31 pm

It's the bass that gets me. If it were just loud music, ear plugs deaden the sound, but a pulsating bass (not a fish btw) goes right through me.
Dave

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:06 am

The latest report on the festival does refer to complaints about the noise from people living in apartment blocks close to the site, who say they had to go away for the weekend (I'm not surprised!) and asking for the hours to be changed to finish earlier in future. If they are listened to, maybe that will help those of you who were bothered by the noise next year.

http://www.diariosur.es/malagatrend/mus ... 25805.html

I met a few people who live locally at a concert last night and asked them if they'd heard anything over the weekend. Only one of them had (they live practically on top of a hill) but the others, like me, hadn't. The sound obviously travels in very strange ways.

On the plus side, the police say there were no reports of any damage, robberies or fighting, which is good for an event attended by so many people.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:50 am

Mowser wrote:It's the bass that gets me. If it were just loud music, ear plugs deaden the sound, but a pulsating bass (not a fish btw) goes right through me.
Yes that is exactly the problem. We can sometimes hear distant bass coming from a feria but the noise from Torre was, as you say, going right through us. You could feel the air reverberating from it and you can still hear/feel it through earplugs.
I understand that sound travels at different frequencies and is affected by different atmospheric pressure so it must have just been a combination of things.

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:28 am

54,000 once a year., must be a good thing for Torre. In these days of austerity I think people deserve a bit of fun. Lighten up.Ear plugs are the answer.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:36 pm

luckyjim wrote:54,000 once a year., must be a good thing for Torre. In these days of austerity I think people deserve a bit of fun. Lighten up.Ear plugs are the answer.

We're a couple of kms north of Sayalonga and could hear the festival music from here. Our valley looks down to Velez. Not so loud to cause loss of sleep. Mind you several (large) glasses of wine no doubt helped in that department.

If only they had managed to secure Pink Floyd to headline......................
Regards

Bob

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:17 pm

What date is the festival at El morche. Anyone know. Thanks.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:42 pm

Wicksy probably, she will be booking flights :D

Up here Mrs W one could hear it but not feel it, it was not a problem. We have a five year old TV and they were still fitting volume controls.

Mr Swerve I know a lady that lives frontline in El Morche, she will know, especially with an 8 and 6 year old in the family.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:32 pm

luckyjim wrote:54,000 once a year., must be a good thing for Torre. In these days of austerity I think people deserve a bit of fun. Lighten up.Ear plugs are the answer.
Read my posts .... earplugs did not block it out. Presumably you don't mind other people's noise and being disturbed or perhaps you can sleep through anything, but it made us both feel ill. Being told to 'lighten up' after we've had pounding noise at our house from 6pm to 7am for a couple of nights does not help, it just seemed to be excessively louder than it needed to be.
swerve wrote:What date is the festival at El morche. Anyone know. Thanks.
9 August
http://www.loonasummerfestival.com/
https://es-es.facebook.com/pages/LOONA- ... 3897443783

Of course we may not hear that ... all down to air pressure on the night I believe, so fingers' crossed! Ironically we don't hear the Torrox feria.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:48 pm

"Spain is the second noisiest country in the world, with Japan in first place. According to a report called ‘Noise and Health‘, Spain has the highest rate of population exposed to excessively loud noise:"

You chose to move here.... :?

Also I would imagine the influx of people is a much needed boost for the local economy.

Having lived for several years on Southway (very close to Glastonbury) never once encountered a local resident or shopkeeper bleat on about the noise, they just welcomed the financial injection into the area.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:24 pm

firsttango wrote:"Spain is the second noisiest country in the world, with Japan in first place. According to a report called ‘Noise and Health‘, Spain has the highest rate of population exposed to excessively loud noise:"
I think that report was written long after we first bought here nearly 20 years ago and the noisiest places are the towns and cities. We live in the campo which is usually very quiet (silent at times) and we love it here. Not my fault that we could hear the bass wafting up from miles away ... I was just incredulous at how noisy it was here when we are some distance away.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Wicksey said........"We never sleep well ... particularly my OH who is woken by a proverbial pin dropping. I honestly cannot remember the last time I slept through the night. People joke about it but it is a real misery and we are constantly tired."

Couple of days a year....... :wtf: .......... get a grip and get over it :lol: ............ next year do a :wave: for a few days...........lol

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"