Need Wifi but not a phone line??

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
bkeo1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Need Wifi but not a phone line??

Postby bkeo1 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi all,

I have a holiday apartment in Estepona and have no need for a landline phone. However, as you can image, with 2 teenagers I am being tormented to get a wifi solution in the apartment. To be honest it would be very useful and I have a couple of clients a year how could also use it.

1. Is there a system I can get without a phone line?
2. If there is can anyone recommend the best options and approx costs associated?
3. If not, what's the best option (Company & package) to provide the land line (and would I need the phone option)?
4. What's involved in getting it installed? I'm over next weekend so is there a long lead time for installation?

As I will probably only use it approx 5/6 weeks a year and some of my clients maybe the same amount of time I'm really looking for the most suitable option.

Apologies if this has been discussed before (can't see how it wouldn't have been) but I can't find any related threads.

Look forward to hearing for you...

Regards
Brian.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Need Wifi but not a phone line??

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:56 pm

We always used a USB 'dongle' attached to our laptop. It's a modem with a SIM card, which can be contract or PAYG. We used Vodafone PAYG, which you could choose various time frames with various download limits (used to be weekend, 7 days 15 days or 30 days, but it may have changed). This way you are only paying for the time (approximately) that you arein Spain. You load your SIM as you would top up your mobile, and then send a text via the USB modem with a code to denote which 'plan' you want. Don't connect to the internet until you have confirmation by text, or you will be paying mobile phone internet rates....

Most suppliers do it - which is best for you will depend on which signal you get best
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

bkeo1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bkeo1 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi Chrissiehope,

Thanks for the info. If I'm understanding you correctly this would only work on a laptop or via a device with a usb connection. Therefore you could not used multiple devices such as mobile phones, tablets etc without usb? Is that correct?

My issue is that we are probably looking for a standard home wifi offering but without the phone line so that a number of devices could be connected to the wifi at one time...

B

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Most of the mobile suppliers will sell you a MiFi device with their Sim in it. That produces a local WiFi signal which can be shared. It does not need plugging in and runs on batteries.

If you have a mobile phone with a data contract you can create a mobile WiFi "hotspot" with that.

Be aware that almost all the data sims have limited data and if you are looking at streaming TV or video you will run out very quickly. For normal Internet use they are perfect.

Sid