Earthquake

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Earthquake

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:27 pm

We didn't feel any of them.

Possibly because our house had to built to be earthquake proof (up to a point) as part of the new building regs which came in about 12 years ago.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:24 pm

We were in a hostal in Malaga and my wife woke me up to ask if I could feel the bed shaking. I could
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:56 am

Why on earth a hotel in malaga...u must hv the dosh,,not real spanish people.. just those who dont mind being ripped off..

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:02 am

You win my prize for stupid comment of the month. Firstly he says 'hostal' not 'hotel', and secondly why on earth should he not do what he wants - particularly as he is planning to return to the UK so will want to see as much as he can!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:17 am

Yep, you nailed it Peter. Maybe a bit too much of the 'falling down' water!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:02 am

funny old comment from Pamela???

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:42 am

Pamela1 wrote:Why on earth a hotel in malaga...u must hv the dosh,,not real spanish people.. just those who dont mind being ripped off..
Totally weird comment. :crazy: :wtf: What business is if of hers where he is or for why!

No I didnt feel a thing!! Have been in much larger earthquakes in Guatemala and was also in Santa Monica for the 1994 January one, but before the big one there were lots and lots of smaller tremours which gave a clue to what was coming. I had already pinpointed where I was going to stand (away from building etc and electrical cables - before it came on the 24th. However having said that, they were not prepared at all for an earthquake in the hotel where I was staying - and yes I did say hotel - no one had a torch and the door out of the garden was locked and so we had to shimmy up and over the wall - that really was an earthquake! but thankfully not many people were killed because most of the houses are earthquake proof.

I do not know why they are not earthquake proof here because Malaga is are over a fault line. But as Sid has said with new laws now - I presume - that all new houses have to be earthquake proof!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:12 pm

According to something I read (Sur in English I think) they have been since 1968 - or at least there have been appropriate building regulations since then :silent:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:16 pm

That is interesting. Perhaps that is why I didnt feel anything here, I think this building is about 20 years old!

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:59 pm

There is no such thing as "earthquake proof", you can only build "earthquake resistance" up to a certain level. The technique involves building the building "soft" so it wobbles with the quake instead of against it. The problem is that building it soft will allow heavy wind to cause it to wobble and possibly damage it, even though that level of wind is not that common in earthquake areas in Spain. It is worse in places like Haiti where you have both earthquakes and hurricanes.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:17 pm

Well this is what they say about Haiti Construction techniques can have a huge impact on the death toll from earthquakes. An 8.8-magnitude earthquake in Chile in 2010 killed more than 700 people. On January 12, 2010, a less powerful earthquake, measuring 7.0, killed more than 200,000 in Haiti.
The difference in those death tolls comes from building construction and technology. In Haiti, the buildings were constructed quickly and cheaply. Chile, a richer and more industrialized nation, adheres to more stringent building codes.

When I was in Los Angeles, very few buildings were affected, the much older ones did collapse which were not earthquake proofed! and very few deaths, obviously those deaths were in building which were old and had not been designed to withstand earthquakes.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:32 pm

patricia wrote: Perhaps that is why I didnt feel anything here,
Or perhaps you are a heavy sleeper?
It woke me up but my wife slept through it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:52 pm

You live in an older building I believe. Otherwise I have no idea. I am not a heavy sleeper and neither is my cat and she would have felt it and dived for cover and usually that is on top of me!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:28 pm

patricia wrote:
gerryh wrote:
patricia wrote: Perhaps that is why I didnt feel anything here,
Or perhaps you are a heavy sleeper?
It woke me up but my wife slept through it.
Cheers
Gerry
You live in an older building I believe. Otherwise I have no idea. I am not a heavy sleeper and neither is my cat and she would have felt it and dived for cover and usually that is on top of me!
Correct I live in a very old house, built without any foundations straight onto the underlying rock.
I am the only one who woke up, neither my wife, our dog or any of our cats woke up. At first I wondered whether I had dreamt the house shaking.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:06 pm

Well Gerry all I can say is that the earth moved for you and that must be good :thumbup:

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:49 am

patricia wrote:Well this is what they say about Haiti Construction techniques can have a huge impact on the death toll from earthquakes. An 8.8-magnitude earthquake in Chile in 2010 killed more than 700 people. On January 12, 2010, a less powerful earthquake, measuring 7.0, killed more than 200,000 in Haiti.
The difference in those death tolls comes from building construction and technology. In Haiti, the buildings were constructed quickly and cheaply. Chile, a richer and more industrialized nation, adheres to more stringent building codes.

When I was in Los Angeles, very few buildings were affected, the much older ones did collapse which were not earthquake proofed! and very few deaths, obviously those deaths were in building which were old and had not been designed to withstand earthquakes.
The problem that I was hinting on is that Haiti has both earthquakes and hurricanes, which makes it immensely more difficult as you have to pick your poison (you can hardly have both good earthquake resistance and hurricane resistance in major constructions). Chile and Los Angeles are not prone to major hurricanes so they can adhere to earthquake resistance more easily than places like Haiti.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:25 am

I am sorry to say I am not an expert on architecture and neither am I pretending to be. "Earthquake proof" is what they call houses which have been "earthquake proofed" and also all I can go on is my own experience of earthquakes and that only a few buildings in Los Angeles were damaged because as they said they were earthquake proofed and that is the term which is used. Other than that I know nothing about the construction of buildings built in areas where earthquakes are likely.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:03 pm

My brother, now retired, lives in rural California. The latter part of his career was spent working for local municipal authorities inspecting, assessing and renovating privately built homes to reduce their likelihood of collapse during earthquakes.The householders received grants from government.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:32 pm

Another one this afternoon at 5.30. Apparently it was magnitude 4.9 near Almeria.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:44 pm

Yeah felt it. Only a few secs though