A new life in the sun -TV series

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: A new life in the sun -TV series

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:13 pm

We find that programme format irritating in the extreme. Designed for folk presumed to have an attention span of 3-4 minutes, and, by repeating/flashing-forward numerous times, allows a small amount of content to be expanded to fill an entire programme slot. Affects so many programmes: even Countryfile. Also, I suspect, done on BBC output to allow the programmes, when sold to other broadcasters, to contain commercial breaks. Crass.
Chris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:16 pm

The old adage about the Costa is still true - if you want to have a million pounds in your bank open a business on the CdS. The problem is that you must start with two million there....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Mariners on the Marina are still in business.
Had the menu of the day there last Wednesday.
Food freshly cooked but not very exciting, but it was only €8.95 for three courses.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:52 pm

It's just a tv programme. A lot of the time these people are just around for the programme. Anyone remember the couple few years ago who were going to open a snail farm. Just an invention by the tv company.

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:23 pm

You're correct. A few years ago we were invited to be in one of the similar programmes, the one with Amanda Lamb. We told them we had already bought but they said that's ok, just pretend you're still looking.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:27 pm

That is totally appalling and an insult to genuine people...any old lies to make a program...

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:18 am

TorreDelAguila wrote:We find that programme format irritating in the extreme. Designed for folk presumed to have an attention span of 3-4 minutes, and, by repeating/flashing-forward numerous times, allows a small amount of content to be expanded to fill an entire programme slot. Affects so many programmes: even Countryfile. Also, I suspect, done on BBC output to allow the programmes, when sold to other broadcasters, to contain commercial breaks. Crass.
I thought it was just me that found this format of "coming up/previously" so irritating.
All the tv companies do it, it's just a cheap way of turning a half hour slot into a program that lasts an hour.
It has got so bad that apart from a few quiz shows, the news and football I don't bother watching tv at all.

I used to love"countryfile" when it had a half hour slot but now I find it so irritating that I don't watch it.
The same can be said of "Watchdog" Yet another show that was worth watching when it only lasted half an hour.

Just don't get me started on the ad breaks. I remember the time if you were quick there was time to make a swift cuppa and have a wee. Now there's time to have a shower, S**t and a haircut :x

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:06 am

I've recently switched from using Sky (via satellite and an old old box) to NowTV via the interweb. My viewing habits have completely changed with the discovery of catch up TV. I hardly watch anything live now (only soccer/F1 in fact), which means I no longer find myself wasting time watching the ends of programs I don't want to see, whilst waiting for my program to start, and most channels allow you to fast forward, rewind and pause programs. Particularly useful for these types of programs (especially as you have to get about 5 minutes in to them, past all the repetitive stuff, to even discover if it's an episode you've already seen!) and pausing them is a great substitute for ad breaks, which are fewer and shorter, or none at all, on catch up :thumbup:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:17 am

Miro- I agree with you about catch up TV changing completely your viewing habits. I recently lost my 907 for a few weeks and just watched stuff I downloaded. Makes you think twice about what you actually want to watch but it is great being able to do it when you want.

biribiri - I am glad there are others that find this modern format irritating. I too stopped watching Countryfile for that reason. The tell em what you are going to tell, tell it, tell em what you told them format may well be to pander for the current generation (not us oldies) who have short attention spans fostered by modern living e.g. texts as opposed to letters.

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:25 am

Totally agree. It's so infuriating :thumbdown:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:53 am

The homes type programmes use the same script all the time. Homes under the hammer has been running for years and they say the same everyday. The only difference is in the beginning it was young couples starting out, now they all seem to be landlords who own about 100 properties. Another change is the Presenters have got fatter :mrgreen:

BBC news is the same, runs on about a 10 minute loop except for some lengthy reports from a third world country. Before the hour they spend at least 5 mins shoving their other programmes and that annoying countdown music!

The last I saw in the businesses abroad series a young couple had taken over a bar on Benalmadena Paseo. The Presenter spoke to an old Spanish man passing by and he said that it was about the third time the bar had changed ownership that year :o

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:34 pm

I am so pleased that we are not the only ones shouting at the TV ....... the 'coming's up' and repetition drives us nuts at times. Even the news is the same now with the presenter telling us everything that the live reporter then tells us, sometimes almost word for word.

If we ever want to watch a Place in the Sun we record it now on Filmon and then we can fast forward through all the repetitive bits and adverts. It cuts down an hour programme to about half that time! On some of the Spanish TV channels they say how long the advert break will be ("volvemos en 6 minutos") so we we can go off and make a cup of tea :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:53 pm

...and why do they have someone "live" stood on a rooftop in Jordan reporting on something in Syria. Similar someone stood outside Downing St. At 11pm to comment on something Cameron said 12 hours previously. :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:57 pm

We always think that too. Sometimes the reporter looks frozen cold standing outside number 10 in the pìtch dark (and sometimes a windy rooftop opposite parliament), and I wonder why they have to report from there and not the nice warm studio!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:14 pm

One that made me smile was on SKY news. The man live on a roof top somewhere in the Middle East had to be told of breaking news from the studio of something happening in the next street to where he was standing :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:36 pm

This programme is back on this week. Giving up the will to live with the 'will they be ready in time' will they take a 1000 euro! The script consists of about 5 stock sentences.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:06 am

Did anyone catch last nights episode. Farcical..........

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:27 am

Those pie eaters cant be real.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:18 am

Two couples with no money buy a bar in Benalmadena surrounded by other derelict ones and commute 5 hours round trip from Alcaucin :eh: They then rent a villa closer...40 mins away! Down to their last thousand Euro, bar not open or stocked. Will it be all right on opening night? Probably, punters all arrive at the same time and the bar will take a thousand euros :lol:

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:44 am

Almeria to Benalmadena ...........Alcaucin! Why Alcaucin, this has to be made up for the viewers.