Living in Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Living in Spain

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:13 pm

This has to be a problem in other parts of Spain. Cats I see but many locals are out at night feeding them. I've never seen dogs apart from people walking them.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Forgot to say. A british couple went back to the UK and left two beautiful dogs behind. Fortunately taken in by other expats. My friend not only named and shamed them on Facebook, but posted a photo of the couple.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:36 pm

Yes, I remember seeing that - as I recall the husband's response was largely unprintable :thumbdown:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:16 am

I agree that things are improving, but the rate of improvement is tediously slow. In the 7 years we have been in Spain we have seen improvements along the coastal areas, the larger Cities seem to be doing well also, but here in the campo (or the twilight zone as we refer to it) things just seem to stand still and the old saying "but that's the way it's always been done" is used by locals (and expats who have become so localized that they have lost their sensible heads) to bat off a whole variety of faults with the way they might do things?

Things have improved, this rally in Madrid on 13 Mar in support of the Lobo Iberico (Iberian Wolf) was attended by thousands representing hundreds of animals welfare organisations in Spain (I neer realised there was so many). That might not have been the case in the past?

The story of the Spanish Hunting dogs and what the hunters (I use the word hunter in the loosest possible sense of the word when referring to Spanish hunters) put them through is a completely different story. This picture speaks volumes, it is of a Spanish hunter exercising his hunting dogs by chaining them all to a metal frame and then driving around for hours on end! Sick

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:19 am

Martin,
During my long time in Spain I have observed many changes in attitude with regard to animal cruelty ( and other things ), it is slow but very positive progress.!
Most Spanish people are good and kind and caring people , and they are making a stand against animal cruelty, but cruelty to animals and other humans will never be totally eradicated , unfortunately there will always be evil people all over the world ..including the UK.
UK also still has many problems, despite the various organizations, and abuse of pets and fox hunting, badger baiting, hare coursing ,dog fights, 'hen' fights ( you know what I mean) etc.still goes on , so when you get back to UK you will have plenty of causes to support... :thumbup:

As for your photo of the mechanized dog walking Spaniard, well personally I take my hat of to him, he IS exercising his dogs and they all look well fed and happy with tails wagging and ears up, he obviously is a caring animal lover, albeit I don't agree with hunting !
I have always supported animal organizations during my long time in Spain and actually arranged our first re-housing in 1994 of 5 dogs to Northern Europe, not UK and I forgot also 1 to Madrid ( to a very caring family who sent me a Christmas card for many years with a picture of Princess) .
I'm sure that if other people , like you, gave 22 euros to the Animal Groups it would be very helpful, and I hope that you continue with your support when you have returned to UK...
Good Luck with your move,
Regards,
Gordon

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:30 am

BENIDORM wrote: Most Spanish people are good and kind and caring people , and they are making a stand against animal cruelty,
I appreciate this, but that some find what they do normal and acceptable is the worrying thing? An example. In our village there is a particularly large house lived in by a particularly well to do, educated family. They are pillars of the community, organizing the church, fiestas etc. We have always respected them. A few months back, my wife whilst out walking our dog, witnessed the owner (let's call him Juan!) smashing kittens against a wall by their feet to kill them! He didn't try to hide the fact, he did it in the open, it was normal to him!

That cannot be right.
BENIDORM wrote: UK also still has many problems,
I know that, but the scale is completely different
BENIDORM wrote: so when you get back to UK you will have plenty of causes to support...
Of course we will, that goes without saying
BENIDORM wrote: As for your photo of the mechanized dog walking Spaniard, well personally I take my hat of to him, he IS exercising his dogs and they all look well fed and happy with tails wagging and ears up, he obviously is a caring animal lover,
Do you seriously mean that and have deduced that he is a "caring animal lover"?
BENIDORM wrote: I'm sure that if other people , like you, gave 22 euros to the Animal Groups it would be very helpful, and
Don't know what other people do, but I wish that all we gave each month was 22€, we would be quids in. We are stalwart supporters of our local Asociacion de Animales and Kalidog in Granada. Maybe people would like to help Kalidog also? http://www.kalidog.es/

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:09 am

quoting my quote.....
'As for your photo of the mechanized dog walking Spaniard, well personally I take my hat of to him, he IS exercising his dogs and they all look well fed and happy with tails wagging and ears up, he obviously is a caring animal lover,'
and your response.....
Do you seriously mean that and have deduced that he is a "caring animal lover"?

I stand by what I stated, from what I could see in the photo the dogs seemed to be well looked after, and are not being kept in a dark warehouse or on small chains in a compound and the owner obviously spends his time exercising them, and as I also stated I don't agree with hunting, and that is my opinion.
You have obviously chosen the Wrong place in Spain to live, pity really because the picture you paint of Spanish living is far from the Spain that I know and live in.
We have lived in 4 different locations in Spain and traveled it extensively and although we've seen some obvious neglect and signs of cruelty we have never actually witnessed the type of incident that you report, you have been most unfortunate.
Rural areas are obviously the areas where you will experience practices that have gone on for generations and it is unlikely that many of the older 'campo' people will change, however I would suggest that it is better to concentrate on educating and assisting the young people and hopefully most of the distasteful practices will eventually disappear.
And now I must go and let my dogs take me for a walk around our semi-rural almost stray free and clean village.
Regards,
Gordon.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:05 pm

Hunters only look after their dogs during the hunting season. The ones that do not come up to scratch are hung or abandoned to die a slow death. Our Vet Hector in Elviria had some real horror stories.

That photo is appalling. No dog lover could excuse that.That is just training, not doing the dogs a favour. When not hunting many of those dogs are kept in horrific conditions, some in units on industrial estates.

My friend lived in an isolated spot in Monda. Just one other house, a weekend place owned by a charming Spanish family who had a small Hotel in Marbella. They kept a spaniel dog there. I imagine it had started out as a cute pup and they had tired of it. They did come regularly to feed it but it was hung down in ticks. I feel it just being lonely was cruel. When I visited I used to talk to it through the chicken wire fence. My friend asked them if she could walk it when they walked theirs but they said no :? I could not have lived alongside it seeing it everyday.

What was it that Ghandi said? Something about judging the morality of a country by the way it treats
it's animals.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:39 pm

Well Katy,
As usual you know everyone and everything about everything.. :roll:
So I'm entitled to my opinion based on what I could see and everyone else is, I notice that you only picked on the one controversial point that I made....As usual...
Regards,
Gordon

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:42 pm

BENIDORM wrote: from what I could see in the photo the dogs seemed to be well looked after, and are not being kept in a dark warehouse
How exactly did you deduce from that photo that "they are not being kept in a dark warehouse"? You (or I) have absolutely no idea where they are kept and in what conditions, I would suspect they are not kept in a loving home, with warm bedding, fresh water or well fed (but I have no evidence of that). We must agree to disagree on what we both consider "to be well looked after", yours obviously varies widely from mine.
BENIDORM wrote: You have obviously chosen the Wrong place in Spain to live
Couldn't agree with you more :clap:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:09 pm

GordonWhat makes you think I am having a go at you personally :roll: it is called an opposite opinion I could say you are stepping in for the kill...as usual. NEXT.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Martin respectfully asked....
''How exactly did you deduce from that photo that "they are not being kept in a dark warehouse"?

Well ..on the day of the photo they seemed well fed, and the erect ears and upwards wagging tails would also indicate that they were happy, but who really knows..only the owner...but as I stated he was also exercising them ..so maybe he is a nice guy who likes his dogs ?
They looked like mixed breeds and Galgo, couldn't see any Podencos.?, where did you locate this photo.?

Over the years I've become very wary of propaganda photos, particularly when they are attached to pleas for money !
And I'm also wary of bar tales that have been passed down through the generations of expats, some maybe true, some folklore, some urban myths and some concocted by bored people with nothing better to do..!
Anyway...as I said Good Luck with your future plans and may you someday find the end of your rainbow. :wave:

Katy....I'm so used to you attacking me and others that I maybe wrongly assumed that you were just 'having a go', if you weren't then please accept my apologies and I'll send you a bunch of flowers.. :wink:
Regards,
Gordon....

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:40 pm

MartinEB wrote:Animal neglect and cruelty is one of the reasons we are seriously considering a move back to the UK. It is never ending. (Please note I said just one of the reasons, before people start harking on about that is what happens in Spain and what did we expect).

There are two ways to deal with it. Accept it as a part of the way of life in Spain or don't accept it and move away. We cannot accept it. There is no excuse.
Agree totally. It is shocking and very hard to come to terms with. I would never ever nor have I ever "drove on by" and I hope I never well nor will I ever harden my heart, it is all very painful, but somethings are changing so there is hope or light at the end of the tunnel.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:04 pm

katy wrote:
That photo is appalling. No dog lover could excuse that.
Glad you agree, thought I was going mad when BENIDORM wrote:
BENIDORM wrote:
As for your photo of the mechanized dog walking Spaniard, well personally I take my hat of to him, he IS exercising his dogs and they all look well fed and happy with tails wagging and ears up, he obviously is a caring animal lover

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:34 pm

MartinEB wrote:

Spain has nothing, a handful of underfunded charities trying their hardest to attract funding in an area that really is not taken seriously enough, some wonderful expat groups trying to educate and help, but it is like pushing treacle up-hill and if you (dare) try and report animal cruelty to the local police (who can always to be found daily having a coffee & Brandy between 10 - 1045am in the local cafe), the policeman is undoubtedly related in some way to the person you want to report and it will not be taken seriously and brushed under the (rather huge, lumpy) carpet.

Don't even mention Medio Ambiente (SEPRONA) - they drive around in some tasty looking 4x4's and that's about it!

Just visit your local (council funded) Perrera (our nearest is Almeria), death row, last chance saloon for animals (all animals not just dogs), probably bursting at the seams, to get an idea of scale of the problem.
I was reminded of this re. police today reading Sur. An abandoned donkey had been rescued in Casabermeja. Had been left without food and water. The Police said they had been unable to find out who was the owner. A couple of comments from Spaniards said they found it hard to believe no one in a small pueblo did not know the owner.

Similar a few months ago. Someone reported to the donkey sanctuary that there was a donkey unable to stand in a field Valencia province. The Sanctuary made an appointment for them to go along with Police and a Vet. Shortly afterwards the Sanctuary received a call from the Police. They had been out to view it and it was fine, just thin because of old age! Not being satisfied the organisation went with a Vet to find the Donkey had lesions and horrible wounds all over it's body, deformed hooves etc. For the Police to cover up these incidents stinks of institutional cruelty :(

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:37 pm

Totally confused over the photo. Don't huskies get harnessed together for runs? Why is the photo shocking? I'm passionate about dogs, especially mine, but what's with the photo? :?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi Lavanda,
Yes Huskys get harnessed together.
The Huskys run at their own pace, the Musher (driver) is behind them and can see if any get a problem.
In competition there are Rules governing the Temperature and Humidity that the Dogs can run in.

What's bad about the Photo.
The frame is being towed , the dogs in the middle are out of view.
The Driver is in front and can't see any problems.
How fast dose he tow the frame, too fast and some dogs will not keep up with that pace.
The dogs are running on a hard surface, this is bad for the joints.

Totally Wrong.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Lavanda wrote:Totally confused over the photo. Don't huskies get harnessed together for runs? Why is the photo shocking? I'm passionate about dogs, especially mine, but what's with the photo? :?
I suppose we do not know what is really happening for a start and hunters do not have a good reputation for looking after their dogs do they! and very good valid points by Enrique.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Yes, Enrique. I see what you mean. Here hunters are proud of their hunting dogs which fetch a huge price and are well looked after. I can't say I care much for what happens to them when they get old and slow. :(

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:44 am

katy wrote:There is also a charity which rehouse Romanian dogs too.
BBC this morning has coverage of boatloads of Syrian & Afghan dogs landing in Greece wanting a better life.