What to do when ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
DannyandJosie
Andalucia.com Amigo

What to do when ?

Postby DannyandJosie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi all,

Wasn't sure of the best title for this enquiry :)

Does anyone have a link/information etc on your legal requirements upon moving to Spain on a full time basis ie. where and what you need to register (I know padron is within 3 months), when you need to change documents (driving license etc) and the like.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Danny and Josie
"When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself" Earl Nightingale

fyfin
Resident

Re: What to do when ?

Postby fyfin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Such a big question or questions. I would start with looking here http://citizensadvice.org.es/ although there is lots of information on here and other members' experiences, myself included. And, by the way it's not Padron that's withing 3 months it's actually registering as a resident which is a whole different ball game. You will need the Padron certificate amongst other things to do this.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:39 pm

You do not need a Padron certificate to sign on the foreigners register.

You are only required to sign on the Padron when you intend to reside permanently in the locality, which rules out people who spend a few months in their holiday home. Registration on the foreigners register is mandatory if you spend more that 90 continuos days in Spain, which does not make you a resident. That only happens when you spend more than 183 days in Spain in one calendar year and then you have to start paying income tax.

So, to answer the original question, the first thing you have to do is sign on the list of EU foreigners if you intend to say for more than 90 days. To do this you will have to show evidence that you have enough income to support yourselves and also have adequate health cover, either from private insurance or by a reciprocal arrangement as a UK state pensioner.

The next thing to do,assuming you intend to become a permanent resident is to sign on the local Padron.

You are advised to exchange your driving licence and you will be able to do it after you have completed the above stages. It is not compulsorary, but highly recommended to avoid potential problems with the police.

The final stage is to make an income tax declaration for your worldwide income in June following your first full year of tax residence.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:56 pm

So now we are out and if we stay out of the EU all the Brits who live here full time but as tourists will be caught out. I guess passport stamping will return.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:14 pm

Yes it will. At the moment we enter in the EU queue. In future we will be in a queue with all the rest and passports will be checked for visas and stamped. Of course, that could be avoided if Britain can obtain special privileges.

Sid

DannyandJosie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DannyandJosie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:12 pm

We plan on moving full time from early 2017 and intend to do everything 'above board', so Just to clarify that I have understood ... we have to/should:

1. Sign onto the foreigners register.
2. Sign onto the local padron.
3. Register as a resident.

All these are mandatory, the first 2 have to be done of staying for more than 90 days and the 3rd one if you stay for more than 183 days ?

Danny
"When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself" Earl Nightingale

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:38 am

DannyandJosie wrote: 1. Sign onto the foreigners register.
Hi Danny, But it is not just a simple case of signing on the Foreigners Register (this is Spain after all and that would be far too easy :silent: )! You will need to prove certain things (health cover, funds to support yourself, etc). The following link may help, it is the Citizens Advice Spain factsheet on obtaining residency:

http://citizensadvice.org.es/wp-content ... glish1.pdf

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:38 am

Wouldn't signing on to the foreigner's register and register as a resident be done as one?

Danny,
It would be great if you could keep the forum informed of your progress and any problems you have to get somebody's anecdotal experience. there sould'nt have been any changes by then but at least we will know for sure.

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:49 am

markwilding wrote:Wouldn't signing on to the foreigner's register and register as a resident be done as one?
Yes, Is it not the same thing?

Form EX18 would certainly indicate so?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:46 am

DannyandJosie wrote:We plan on moving full time from early 2017 and intend to do everything 'above board', so Just to clarify that I have understood ... we have to/should:

1. Sign onto the foreigners register.
2. Sign onto the local padron.
3. Register as a resident.

All these are mandatory, the first 2 have to be done of staying for more than 90 days and the 3rd one if you stay for more than 183 days ?

Danny

Number 1 and 3 are the same thing.if you are staying here full time then sign on the foreigners registar (most people call it getting residencia so if you see that written on forums etc thats what it means) for that as cid says you have to show proof of income/healthcare etc.this is supposed to be done after you have been here for 90 days but you can do it as soon as you want after you arrive if you want to. 183 days is when you become tax resident you dont have to do anything interms of signing onto it. You just file your tax return as and when.also sign your self onto the padron at the local townhall

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:07 am

El Cid wrote:Yes it will. At the moment we enter in the EU queue. In future we will be in a queue with all the rest and passports will be checked for visas and stamped. Of course, that could be avoided if Britain can obtain special privileges.

Sid
Isn't it highly likely that the UK (or what remains of it) will be a member of the EEA? In which case nothing will change with regards to which queue we pass through at airports.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:08 pm

True, but joining the EEA was pretty well ruled out by Brexiters as I retains free movement and most other EU rules.

Personally, I think it will end up that way, but that was not what was promised.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:14 pm

fyfin wrote: You will need the Padron certificate amongst other things to do this.
The only document you legally need to produce is your passport and the application form. Yes, you need proof of medical cover and adequate finances, but the way of doing that is not specifically described.

Unless you have previously applied for a stand alone NIE, you get the NIE as part of the registration process. You need an NIE to sign on the Padron so you can see why it would be incorrect to ask for a Padron certificate as part of the registration process.

Of course, being Spain, the disfunctionarios make it up as they go along. You don't need to provide a photo, but I was asked for one. A week previously a friend registered at the same office and a photo was not required.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:08 pm

El Cid wrote:True, but joining the EEA was pretty well ruled out by Brexiters as I retains free movement and most other EU rules.

Personally, I think it will end up that way, but that was not what was promised.

Sid
I wasn't really aware of what was "promised" by either side TBH, but surely that's purely academic anyway - promises made by politicians are not actually considered binding by any thinking person, surely? (Didn't Cameron promise not to resign?) And since it now appears that many people didn't really know what the EU is at all, is it likely that many people really understand what the EEA is?

Either way, I think (and hope) you're right Sid. After all, surely only the most small minded xenophobes think it's better to be Norway than Bolivia?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:21 pm

Isnt it a shame that we do not get these facts from the horses mouth! Every rule, regulation etc comes third party. Wouldnt it be easier if expats moving to Spain got some sort of official paper telling us the various things we had to do and what we would need to do it. Unfortunately the goalposts are always changing so what you have to do one day could change the next.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:11 pm

No, the goalposts don't actually change. One good thing about Spain is that it has a totally codified legal system, everything is written down in the relevant law which is easily accessed by anyone who wants to read it.

The real problem is that while the goalposts don't move - the goalie does! The people that are in the offices who administer the law to us lowly beings are in a "job for life" scenario and really do seem to make life difficult - a sort of power complex I think. As a result, their interpretation of the rules, etc. varies from day to day, which is why all these problems occur.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:53 pm

El Cid wrote: The real problem is that while the goalposts don't move - the goalie does!
Sid
Gold! Never seen it put so perfectly :clap:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:19 pm

Not meaning to put any of you aspiring new residents off but have you seen this? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmiPOYPZ-fA

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:24 pm

Miro wrote:
El Cid wrote:True, but joining the EEA was pretty well ruled out by Brexiters as I retains free movement and most other EU rules.

Sid
I wasn't really aware of what was "promised" by either side TBH, but surely that's purely academic anyway - promises made by politicians are not actually considered binding by any thinking person, surely? (Didn't Cameron promise not to resign?) And since it now appears that many people didn't really know what the EU is at all, is it likely that many people really understand what the EEA is?

Either way, I think (and hope) you're right Sid. After all, surely only the most small minded xenophobes think it's better to be Norway than Bolivia?
Yes, good point. Take the example of the new London Mayor. His ticket was to freeze rail fares. He put them up the week after winning.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:46 pm

A good find Irene... :lol: :lol: