No Money in Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

No Money in Spain

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:35 pm

Whether it be Mon,Tues,Sat night,the bars are full..Im not talking tourist attraction areas either..more like local people..i dont see this at home in Uk..ok the weather may be better in Spain but people still need money to go out..and out they go till all hrs..

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: No Money in Spain

Postby costakid » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:36 am

I have said for years there was no recession in Malaga city.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:59 am

It is much cheaper here to go out and have a drink, especially in provincial towns. You can still get a caña of beer for little more than a euro. I don't think the Spanish go out 'on the lash' (as our Welsh friends call it).

We are always horrified at the drink prices in England. We love to have a real ale but it is usually 3.50 a pint so we don't drink a lot. I never have wine when I'm there as I don't feel the need to pay so much for something I can have here any time I want for a few euros a bottle. How people manage to go out and spend all night drinking in Britain (not something that we would want to do anyway) I don't know.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:10 am

Hi,
You summed it up nicely Wicksey...........caña + Tapas = 1€, coffee = 1,10€, bottled beer + Tapas = 1,30€

Plus Spanish much more chatty , would rather spend the evenings out with their Family and friends, weather helps too.

And mine host doesn't have a problem with you sitting all evening at a table with one or two drinks.
Last edited by Enrique on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:10 am

You don't need much money for a night out in Spain. Inland drinks are 1euro each and you can rent the table for a whole night with one drink! Unless you go into English bars where you will be hassled to get another one in. We laugh at the few tourists we get around here cos they have to have a full pint on the table at all times. spanish friends asked me why the Brits drink beer in fish tanks cos it gets warm before you finish it. :)

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:23 pm

Not in my village.
I've sat in a bar in the village square on a Saturday evening and only seen 3 Spaniards come in all evening... and I mean till it closed. (Please don't ask too many questions about my drinking habits :oops: ).

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:31 am

There's loads of money in Spain, just that the Spanish tax man doesn't seem to see a lot of it? Cash in hand seems to rule around here.

If a society's wealth was judged on the amount of fireworks and rockets fired off at every given opportunity, Spain would be a World leader :silent:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:11 am

Pamela1 wrote:...the bars are full..Im not talking tourist attraction areas either..more like local people..i dont see this at home in Uk..
I think it all depends on where exactly you are in each respective country. Last time we were back in the UK, in Liverpool, we were staggered at the sheer volume of shoppers, and at night the city's bars & restaurants were bursting at the seams. The blatant consumerism and level of spending made us feel that, even in Málaga city, Spain was even more in the doldrums than we had realised.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:38 am

I don't think it is necessarily doldrums here, in the UK people are probably spending money they don't have ... ie on credit cards, which perhaps the Spanish don't do so much. I am always amazed at the consumerism in Britain and the constant need to buy 'things'. Perhaps here, shopping is not so much of a pastime as it is there and if they are like us, they only buy something when they need it!

When we were in England in May we had to go from Essex to Kent and saw huge queues of cars blocking a lane of the motorway to get into Bluewater ... it went on for miles. It was just a normal Sunday (which are so nice and quiet here) and I couldn't get over the fact that people are willing to sit for hours of queues just to go shopping ..... can't think of anything worse.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:03 pm

Wicksey wrote: We are always horrified at the drink prices in England. We love to have a real ale but it is usually 3.50 a pint so we don't drink a lot.
£3.65 in my local for the cheapest "ale", next one up is £3.85.

anyroads

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:56 am

Anyroads, I think beer gets more expensive the further south you go!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:04 pm

The price of beer in either country is in proportion to the average earnings of each country, I suggest.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:58 am

We try to go out every day, for a walk and stop for either a couple of coffees or cold drinks. We are both pensioners and I know that if I were in England, there is no way I could afford it. When I was in pubs, I don't remember the OAPs going out for lunch on a regular basis. Here I see lots of pensioners out every day for their Menu Del Dia.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:28 am

In Devon, England, every pub is packed at lunchtime with pensioners eating their fill. My Dad (93) said there's no point in pensioners saving so they go out and spend it.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:45 am

I'm beginning to think I live in 2 poor areas...

baroness
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby baroness » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Lavanda wrote:In Devon, England, every pub is packed at lunchtime with pensioners eating their fill. My Dad (93) said there's no point in pensioners saving so they go out and spend it.
What part of Devon is that? In my part, Dawlish, no pub (there are 13) is packed at lunchtime, with pensioners or otherwise. Bit of an overstatement.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:12 pm

Hello baroness. A long time ago I was the Mayoress of Dawlish so I know it well. It's a super little place but I'm probably biased. What part of Devon? Dartington and The Cott Inn, Abbotskerwell and The Court Farm Inn, Ipplepen and The Golf Club (not quite Ipplepen but on the way there), Kingsteignton and The Old Rydon Inn, on the way to Torquay and The Hare and the Hounds — all these places are full and you need to book if you want a table any day of the week. I guess it's Mid-East-ish. There are plenty more places I can list ... but it's probably not that relevant to most readers of the forum.

PS Babbacome isn't actually Dawlish, is it?