Gas explosion in Velez Malaga

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
masterob
Andalucia Guru

Gas explosion in Velez Malaga

Postby masterob » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:50 pm

BBC reporting 70 hurt in gas bottle explosion in cafe in Velez Malaga this evening (Saturday). Sounds pretty nasty.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Gas explosion in Velez Malaga

Postby Lavanda » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:21 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10 ... ern-spain/

It sounds terrifying but no one has been hurt so badly they will die according to this report. Thank goodness.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:38 am

As posted on the 'Real Feria' thread, the official figures were
"Official figures: Official tweet from E112 - 57 injured, 5 seriously, NO fatalities

ACTUALIZACIÓN Ascienden a 57 heridos explosión #VelezMálaga, 5 de ellos graves además de otros desplazados por medios propios. NO fallecidos

"Sounds like it could have been much worse.

Members might find the following group of interest - https://www.facebook.com/groups/eialertsmalaga/
It is well moderated.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:43 am

According to the report I saw in Diario Sur shortly after it happened, employees of the bar smelt gas and raised the alarm which enabled customers to be evacuated just before the explosion. Thank goodness they did, or it could indeed have been much worse.

One of my neighbours came to the door to see if we'd heard about it (I was at home all afternoon but heard nothing, no explosion nor even any sirens). His daughter had been down in that area and wasn't very far from where the explosion happened, but thankfully wasn't hurst. It must have been a terribly worrying time for very many families in Vélez, even if they weren't there themselves they would have other family members and friends who were.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:53 am

Well the good news if any is that it was an accident and not a terrorist attack. Hope its not as bad as the pictures look in the mail.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:05 pm

Does not seem good, is Velez mains gas ? A bottle letting go would have been potentially very nasty.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:20 pm

Lyric wrote:Does not seem good, is Velez mains gas ? A bottle letting go would have been potentially very nasty.
It was definitely a bombona - there is a picture of it in this morning's longer article in Diario Sur. The centre of Vélez does not have mains gas.

http://www.diariosur.es/malaga/201610/0 ... 10030.html

There was a big clear-up operation going on this morning and the Police Scientific Unit van was there. Incredibly, there is no visible damage to the outside of the buildiings next door to La Bohemia, not even broken windows.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:28 pm

For anyone who knows them, Zuhair and Rosa, the owners are ok although their daughter is in hospital with cuts. It wasn't the actual restaurant, but the kitchen which is a couple of doors down. One of the more seriously injured is the wife of Jimmi the waiter, who was, I believe, working in the kitchen at the time. Thank goodness it wasn't any worse. With the number of people on the streets in velez last night it could have been.
AlisonB

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:21 pm

I'm sorry to say that this is looking very serious. It has been disclosed today that the kitchen where the explosion took place has been operating without a licence since 2013. Whether that means that liability falls upon the Ayuntamiento or the business owners, the legal implications don't bear thinking about.

http://www.diariosur.es/axarquia/201610 ... 30449.html

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:10 pm

I wonder how many restaurants in Spain are operating the same way? More than you think I guess.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:31 pm

No licence since 2013? Spain could cut it's unemployment rate in half by setting up inspectors that check things like this every year!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:43 pm

But for every inspector who did there job correctly there would be five people unemployed

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:05 am

Nice one, costakid.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:43 am

And how many small bars and cafes in the UK have regular inspections? The big difference is that there the gas comes through copper pipes, not rubber tubes and potentially insecure regulators...
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Butane gas explosions/ fires are quite rare in Spain, when you consider how many are in use.
But I do remember a really nasty explosion at a supermarket near Alicante and also more recently on a camp site near Barcelona, lots of fatalities and injuries unfortunately.
When you consider that it only costs a few euros to change the gas tube and fittings it really is a sloppy attitude towards safety, and if the bar in Velez Malaga has no licence their insurance policy is probably void ( if they have one !), although most injured persons will probably receive some compensation, eventually.!
I think that the owners will probably face heavy fines and possible jail sentences and will be unlikely to re-open.

Regards,
Gordon

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:21 pm

BENIDORM wrote: if the bar in Velez Malaga has no licence their insurance policy is probably void ( if they have one !), although most injured persons will probably receive some compensation, eventually.!
I think that the owners will probably face heavy fines and possible jail sentences and will be unlikely to re-open.

Regards,
Gordon
The report I linked to earlier says they did have insurance, although the amounts of cover referred to (€6,000 for damage to the property and €15,000 for public liability) are obviously going to be hopelessly inadequate even if they did pay out, although as you say if they were operating without a licence that is very doubtful. This is what the report said on the subject:-

"La compañía de seguros del establecimiento siniestrado estaba hoy inspeccionado el local para comprobar los daños y el de los inmuebles colindantes, entre los que se encuentra un bufete de abogados y algunas viviendas. Según la compañía, que está todavía recabando datos y por tanto no ha evaluado los mismos, la póliza contempla únicamente una cobertura de 6.000 euros para daños propios y 150.000 en concepto de responsabilidad civil. La compañía ha solicitado toda la documentación al titular de la póliza."

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:47 pm

Free at Last,
You are correct that the insurance amounts are woefully inadequate and the Public Liability should be more like 1 Million than 150.000.
Most of my shop policies of Public Liability were well over 1 million ....euros not pesetas :lol:

And one of the points I've made on my Market/Car-Boot thread is that most organisers/ traders have no Public Liability insurance and in this day of ambulance chasing lawyers it really is a must.!
It was good to hear that the casualties weren't too serious in Velez-Malaga, probably the chef is due a pat on the back for quick thinking, even it was possibly he who was responsible for checking his appliances.
Regards,
Gordon

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:46 pm

SHE...............what happened to innocent until proven guilty? What is it with all this speculation? Do you always believe everything you read in Newspapers?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:05 pm

truebrit wrote:SHE...............what happened to innocent until proven guilty? What is it with all this speculation? Do you always believe everything you read in Newspapers?
Quite right True Brit, gossip and tÍttle tattle doesn't do anyone any favours in such a tragic event.....and you mean to tell me "Freddie Starr didn't eat anyones Hampster" Oh those journalists at the Sur....ooops The Sun.
Last edited by firsttango on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:56 pm

Thanks FT. Wait until the true facts come out. I mean look at the earlier reports of this incident. The injured went up and down depending on what paper you read. In fact the whole accounts changed daily.