Pool care during drought!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
telboy
Resident

Pool care during drought!

Postby telboy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:45 am

Just to put you in the picture - We look after a holiday rental, (owners live in the UK), the present guests have just decided to move on after 2 days to find a new accommodation since they have no water whatsoever, for washing, toilet flushing etc. The property is high up and is normally has mains water from our local village. The supply to the house has been intermittent over the last couple of weeks but now there is none at all. The Ayuntamiento state the reason for no water is due to altitude and the lower pressure. We now have a 3 week window to get a storage tank and pump fitted at least then we can have water delivered to fill the storage tank, and hopefully keep future guests happy.

Whilst a pool is not in use but clean and chemically treated, what is the best way to keep things ticking over without shutting down completely. The pool cover is the blue bubble semi transparent type that floats on the water - bear in mind that there is no water to keep it topped up, too much water would evaporate if I was to leave the cover off.

I believe our mayor has requested more funds from the Spanish government to create another bore hole for the village since local money has run out. Haven't got a clue how long this process would take :!:

cheers
terry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pool care during drought!

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:09 am

The water level will eventually drop below the skimmers so when that happens the pump will suck air so turn off the skimmer valve. You don't actually need skimmers for the pool to function. Our neighbour's pool has a leak in the skimmer line so the water level is kept below the skimmers. A pool net is a good substitute! If you usually put tablets in the skimmers, then buy a floating dispenser and use that instead.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Quite frightening how the water situation is worsening around our area. Highly visible in terms of lake Iznajar going down but also in terms of people with wells that are not doing so good. yet still folk are having new wells drilled and irrigation for olive trees installed. A neighbour has just equipped 440 trees with surface drip.

You have your work cut out to achieve a storage tank solution in three weeks. If you need technical advice and /or hardware, I highly recommend Remin on the main road up on Fuente Santa industrial estate in Loja. If you need excavation work for your tank site, likewise I can recommend Andreas in Algarinejo. He would also know who to contact for trucking in water if you need one. How big a tank are you thinking of? Holiday makers - 750 litres a day?

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Sid - I only visit this property weekly so can't bypass the skimmers and net the floating debris off the surface which includes Oak tree/Olive leaves, anyhow by that time most of that would sitting on the pool bottom along with clay dust/pollen. If there was guaranteed water on tap when I turned up then I could just do a normal clean.

Olive - Thanks for the offer but we are OK with tradesmen/materials and supplies in our immediate area. The 3000ltr storage tank will take one to two days to position/connect/electrics including a pump and housing etc. (See this link) http://www.dandhgroup.co.uk/horizontal- ... age-tanks/ This is the type of storage system we are getting.

We'll just request that holiday makers be more sparing with water!

Cheers

terry

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:20 pm

What size are you getting and do have a rough price for its installation?

I'd like an idea as we buy agricultural water from our neighbour and the deposito was supposed to be just for us and the holiday home next door, but we notice a large pipe has been run down from it to go to his new mango plantation. Although the deposito is 350m3 we have run out several times in past years and I am thinking if this happens in the future we may need to install our own deposito so that we always have a few thousand litres of our own.