?new driving regs?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: ?new driving regs?

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:19 pm

You must carry the cars documents and your licence. Insurance details are not required. The actual ITV report must be carried in addition to the Ficha Technical and permiso de circulación. You also technically need your passport as ID, although a Spanish driving licence will normally be OK.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:47 pm

i normally have all of that, as well as the sello reciept. so at least im doing that right :lol:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 am

wollie wrote: the purpose of slow lane is for people entering and exiting, when we get up to speed we move into driving area
I take it these comments of yours are just tongue in cheek and "banter"? Of course, everybody knows that the slip road is intended for traffic entering the motorway to get up to speed, so that it can merge seamlessly with the traffic already moving in the inside lane - at whatever speed that may be. Except....on many sections of the notorious N340 (especially around the Mijas area) where the slip roads are about 3 car lengths long. :shock: And, of course, this assumes (wrongly, most of the time) that drivers already on the motorway leave more than a car length between them and the car in front, so that other cars can join the tailgating fun...

Back here in England, I find myself quietly giggling to myself like an idiot every time another road user gives way. I'm still finding the general courteousness of drivers (towards both other drivers and pedestrians) somewhat of a novelty. I had become so used to going no further than the end of my street before cursing some idiot for their recklessness; even after more than a month back here, I still have not yet had any reason to get agitated or stressed behind the wheel - and there's generally far more traffic, and I've been driving quite a lot more than I did in Spain. Even the painfully slow 20mph speed limits around much of our town are mostly observed by all. I am much calmer driving here, and this is not my opinion (humble or otherwise) - it is Fact, according to the gospel of SWMBO!

Having said all that, the new regs that have recently been introduced in England leave me somewhat bewildered: speeding fines are to be based on the offenders weekly wage; since I am not currently a wage earner, that practically gives me free reign to go as fast as I like (if I don't mind points on my licence of course). And reversing around a corner is no longer a requirement for the driving test (because....being able to maneuver your vehicle isn't important any more?) but proving you can use a sat naff is now part of the test. :wtf: I've only just recently starting using sat nav (because my new car has it, so I might as well try it) but I went out today somewhere new, only about 25 miles from home, using it, and returning home I realised I had no idea where I was or how I got there, which for someone who prides themselves on their sense of direction was a little disconcerting. Surely relying too much on sat nav (or any technology for that matter) dulls the senses to a certain extent - something you don't really want to do when in control of a large fast moving metal box.
Or am i just getting old?

Stiffer penalties for people driving whilst using their mobile phones, though, I'm all for. (Something I noticed many Spanish police regularly doing) Worse in many ways than drunk driving - at least drunk drivers are looking at the road some of the time.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 am

The drivers up north must be better than those down south Miro. I find the UK driving much worse than here. If I try to keep to 30mph in a town I have been overtaken all the time and the tailgating there is worse than here. The boy racers coming through 30mph zones at about 50 at night are also very scary.

At the moment with all the holidaymakers here the traffic is much busier and faster than usual, but out of holiday times the motorway around us is almost empty out of rush hours. I think it's a good idea that learners are taken onto the motorway here as well, although the roundabout rules always give us a good laugh .... you do have to watch everyone everywhere as you go round, although still not as bad as some of the French ones where you give way on the roundabout to the oncoming traffic! I find I am a much calmer driver since moving here. You just have to accept that however illogical some of the rules are you have to be aware that on roundabouts particularly, they just do it differently here.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:43 am

Miro,
What i meant was in the area of entry/exit it helps the fllow of general traffic if people move out of when possible.
Thankfully my sat-nav died and i will not replace, at the moment i am putting an 1983 bmw on the road and its
sat-nav is not working either.
Reversing round a corner gone, i used and expect i still can reverse flat-out for as long as i chose but not around blind corners.

Whicksey, i must avoid where you live, you do not want a 60 year old boy racer blowing the horn at you.
I agree the Spanish driving better though more aggressive, i find this politeness we often see where people decide to stop and let people out
causes traffic disruption.
I noticed the other day where some pulling in to a side road decided to stop on a busy single lane carriage and let two or three cars out,
in the process they must have disrupted at least 20 cars on the big road.
I have to admit i am an impatient driver.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 am

wollie wrote:
Whicksey, i must avoid where you live, you do not want a 60 year old boy racer blowing the horn at you.
... or a 58 year old girl racer giving you a rude sign .... :lol: :lol:

I admit I am a much calmer driver now. Perhaps it's come with age or not having to go to work every day, but I am more chilled out now than when I used to have my GTi 'hot hatch' in my (relative) youth and was extremely impatient and wound up behind the wheel.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 pm

No idea regarding the legality of it but today whilst dropping of a friend at the new departure drop off express parking area (first time) whilst getting the cases out of the boot we witnessed a woman (we assume it was) wearing a burka drive into and almost completely over a medium sized suitcase that was being pulled across one of the pedestrian crossings on their way to departures.....just wondering if it impaired the vision at all.....regardless it was reckless and most bizarre.