Solar panels and feedback to the grid, or not?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
rickj

Solar panels and feedback to the grid, or not?

Postby rickj » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm investigating a solar panels installation for my house in Almería. I understand that as long as you stay below 10kW the "solar tax" does not apply. But, there is still is the matter of the feedback of your surplus energy to the electricity grid. I'm getting mixed opinions on that. Some say you can NOT feed back your electricity to the grid, so you need a "zero feedback" installation that will throttle energy production if you don't need it. Others say you CAN do a feed-the-grid system, but contracts are hard to come by. (We have Endesa here.)

Personally I don't care much about selling my surplus energy, as long as I am allowed to send my surplus power into the grid, because the installation I want cannot do zero feedback. I don't care about being paid, as long as my bill gets smaller. (And no, I don't want batteries.)

This is not just about money for me, but about being responsible, as I have installed a swimming pool, and the pump uses 1.2kW about 8-10 hours a day.

So, can I install a grid feeding installation without getting into trouble..?

This article http://www.andalucia.com/property/solarpower.htm says :
If electricity is generated from domestic photovoltaic panels any surplus electricity generated may be sold to the network. The electricity supply company must buy this electricity by law.

Any reference to that please?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Solar panels and feedback to the grid, or not?

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Your ambition to install solar PV panels is excellent, and I hope you can work out an arrangement.

On the pool pump front, though, although a 1.2kW pump is common enough, running it for 8-10 hours a day seems excessive.
We run ours on timeswitch for five half-hour bursts a day, three of which are off-peak (valle) times. Water crystal clear, even with heavy family use. In winter, two of those slots are knocked out, with everything off-peak.
Chris

rickj

Postby rickj » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:35 pm

It's a saltwater pool, the chlorinator and pump must run 8hrs+ per day..

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:49 am

Last time I checked all grid ties were affected by the solar tax, however I believe they are to change it so everything below 15kW is exempt. You need to talk with a gestor. Even if the panels are very cheap now you also need a good grid tie inverter and with the tax it is not likely going to pay off.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 am

rickj wrote:It's a saltwater pool, the chlorinator and pump must run 8hrs+ per day..

Gosh.
Chris

Return to “Living in Andalucia”