Furniture in Martos

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Nantwich

Furniture in Martos

Postby Nantwich » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:21 pm

I have just bought a townhouse in the old part of Martos and have this romantic notion of getting some traditional Spanish/Andalucian furniture.

Does anybody know of any such places around Martos/Jaen?

Many thanks

Steven

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Furniture in Martos

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:04 pm

Nantwich..Welcome to the Forum.. :wave:

In Andalucia it is quite difficult to find good 'Traditional' furniture at least at a realistic price.
There is a distinct difference between quality and rustic furniture in Spain, quality furniture was/is highly prized in Spanish households and was always expensive to obtain., and is usually 'passed on' to family members.
Rustic furniture was normally handmade by the householder or by a local artisan, usually a family member, it was very cheap to produce but it also now commands high prices as Spanish now recognise that they should preserve their heritage.
The best places to seek the type of furniture you require is in the Granada area, try the Maracena flea market on a Sunday, not always open in the summer though.
There are other markets and Rastro shops around Granada and can I suggest that you look for mirrors and pictures, even if a little tatty they are easy to restore to a reasonable level, you can also pick up agricultural tools that look great displayed on the walls, and the chromed art deco type bed frames look good, but buy new mattresses.!
Wherever you go be prepared to haggle and walk away if you are not happy with the price.
There are many items of furniture available in UK that actually blend in very well in traditional Spanish houses, certainly much cheaper in UK, and I would suggest that you look for occasional furniture and again pictures, mirrors and brass and copper item, the bigger the better.
I was once told that furniture was always expensive in Spain because they had decimated the forests to build ships for the Spanish Armada. :shock:
Good Luck with your new Spanish home..
Regards,
Gordon the Gopher

Nantwich

Re: Furniture in Martos

Postby Nantwich » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the informative reply.

I've been looking at some of the shops in Granada as, like you suggest, I want to combine traditional and modern (in a minimalist way). The locals seem to pack their houses with big heavy-looking items, with four floors that's not an option.

Many thanks.