Vado permanente

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Vado permanente

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Is there any way of knowing just what a licensed 'vado permanente' (right of way) covers? Is it just that there should be clear access through an entrance to the property, or that an area covering the frontage big enough to park a car must be free at all times?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vado permanente

Postby Miro » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:48 pm

I guess the town hall that issues the vado would be your best place to ask, but for what it's worth, my understanding is simply that it permits clear access at all times; there are plenty of vados for garages for example that don't have any space outside for parking at all, and if the area outside is not part of the property, i.e. is public land, then I'm pretty sure the vado would not allow you to park there anyway.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:29 pm

The Vado is to allow access so nothing is to block that access - Vado permanente means that access may be required at any time (rather than during work hours for example) - it may be to allow a doctor or fireman to get his or her car out to go on duty at any time - this is just an obvious type of example - there may be many more that the townhall would approve. I seem to think they are usually at gateways or garage doors rather than a general frontage of a property.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:03 pm

We have one and there is a yellow line so it's clear where parking is not allowed. There is enough room to park 2 and a half cars but anybody parking cars not belonging to our community are at risk of being reported the police. We had a period when we reported every car that parked on the line so now In general, people respect it and is normally kept clear.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Like many Spanish town houses we have gated entrances, and a vado permanente sign, but nothing longer than the smallest of cars can actually fit on the front terrace, so everyone parks on the road outside their house. The yellow line runs right along the kerb so I think this should denote 'no parking' except by the licence payer of course. We are of course in a resort, and close to the beach so there is a lot of pressure on spaces. I have seen off a couple of 'looky-looky' men in their vans, but if both our neighbours are here I am glad I have a rearview camera!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Think i read on cab spain that no one can park where theres a sign even if its your garage/gate

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:19 am

I have also noticed that sometimes i see yellow lines at doorways, i think it is for people with limited mobility so that people will not block part of their doorway, it its a good thing.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:23 am

I don't think a vado permits even the licence payer to park in a way that obstructs the entrance it pertains to, so theoretically you could get a parking ticket or get towed for parking in front of your own entrance (It's not like a resident's parking permit). However, in my experience from living in a community with a garage entrance on a busy road next to a supermarket, the police will only bother to ticket a vehicle parked where there is a vado if someone actually calls them to complain (Mind you, the same could be said of bus stops, roundabouts, pedestrian crossings etc. etc.) Another surprise to me was when, as president of our community, I asked the town hall to repaint the yellow line on the street outside our entrance, they told me it was our responsibility. (Their workers had already repainted the yellow lines elsewhere on our street, and when I had asked them why they hadn't also done our line, they said it wasn't on their list and I should speak to the town hall :wtf: ) So, despite paying €160 p.a. to allow us permanent access to our property, we then also had to pay for paint! I did get some strange looks from passersby when I was out there painting the street. Needless to say, the new line was a little bit thicker, and longer, than the original :lol:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:13 am

I had a vado on my parents gate, as everyone knows I work at the airport and leave and arrive at all times of day and night, I've had two or three people's cars towed and ticketed. If I couldnt get the gate open to get the car out, then I hooted for a bit in case it was a neibour, then called the police etc. They would come, give the car a ticket, call it in, see if they could call the owner. If they couldn't, then it got towed away.

The best one was a fireman that parked his car on the gate on feria week... He tore up the ticket and laughed at me... Only the police man was standing behind him so gave him another one... :lol:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Nice one ;-) !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 am

We were talking about this the other day. Our friends have a vado permanente with the sign and the yellow lines but she assumed it was o stop other people parking in front of her drive. She never parks in the driveway as it's just too small or would be one hell of a squeeze.

I told her what she was doing was illegal as basically no-one can park there - I think I am right as previously commented but everyone does it in here street and the police never seem to be around anyway.

I suppose if someone complained about someone else parking they might take notice but otherwise why would they. MInd you, as the town hall is hard up maybe they could generate some income but a lot of bad feeling at the same time. lol
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Not sure, but I don't think the local police can do anything unless they receive a complaint - a vado indicates a private right of access rather than public, so it's different to someone parking on a bus stop or pedestrian crossing or roundabout - oh, wait...they ignore that as well, don't they?